Ever play a course that was easier from back tees than up tees ?

Seems to me it depends how far you hit the tee shot. I think most courses are setup assuming that golfers who play from the back tees are hitting it more than 250, which in most cases gets them to the same trouble as a guy who plays up and hits it 200. That's MY theory anyway ... :D

I have had success on several course playing from the tips instead of where I should be. I would not hit it long enough to get into trouble and used more woods/hybrids than irons.

I have seen some holes where hazards reachable by me on the white tees were not reachable on the blues. But the tradeoff is that I will likely be 1-2 clubs longer for the second shot. There can be something to be said for a hole being "easier" if you can just play brain-dead golf and take two long clubs and whack it. But your margin for error will likely be less as well. So in the end it's likely a wash as a best case scenario, more often the back tees will be tougher.

Nope not at all at least in my opinion. The driving aspect is a big yes, but the second shots just aren't fun at all and that's what makes it tougher.

Nope...not that I can think of.

Nope, can't say that I have. I can play any tee box on a course and leave my self the same 100-150 yards from the green. I just adjust what I hit off the tee to compensate for the decrease/increase in length.

I played TPC Las Vegas a month ago and shot a 95 from the Blues. Two weeks later I went back and shot a 109 from the white tees. Go figure.

I think it was probably because I'm more confident with my driver than my 4w or hybrid. I was able to hit driver and short iron from the blue tees. But when I was playing from the white tees, I normally had to use my 4w or hybrid off the tee which produced wayward shots and put me in bad spots for my second shot (either lost ball in the desert or bad positioning).

Not that I can recall, however I have played both tees at a couple of courses and I have had a better score from the tips, but that is just golf.

Using Tapatalk

Seems to me it depends how far you hit the tee shot. I think most courses are setup assuming that golfers who play from the back tees are hitting it more than 250, which in most cases gets them to the same trouble as a guy who plays up and hits it 200. That's MY theory anyway ... :D

I was thinking something similar.
One of my home courses is most all doglegs with fw bunkers on the inside and outside of the turns on all of them. Most people play the middle tees (of three) at 64 to 6500 and very often a lot find themselves having to deal with these bunkers at the turns. But if the very same people moved back to the 7000 tees, probably most of them would be just short of them hence taking them out of play. Conversely if those same people moved up the reds they would be flying past the bunkers easily. That's part of what indicates to me that those people (by playing the middle set) are at the correct tees. Where as only a good executed shot gets passed the bunkers and doesn't fall in them or end up short of them. If ones good shots are "always falling sort" of them and taking them out of play than imo that would mean that person should be up a tee. If their "good shots are always flying over" them, than they should move back a tee unless of course they already are at the tips in which case "god bless you" for being that gifted. When my driver and over all tee game is working well I can have rounds where I am always past them but my game doesn't work that consistently well for that often and is why I play the middles. lol

Back