Guaranteed Trade In Value - Brick and Mortar Solution?

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
If a brick and mortar store offered to guarantee the trade in value of your clubs in writing with assurances the prices would be better then PGA Trade in Value but you paid MSRP and tax, would you consider buying locally?

If a brick and mortar store offered to guarantee the trade in value of your clubs in writing with assurances the prices would be better then PGA Trade in Value but you paid MSRP and tax, would you consider buying locally?
Without a doubt, and if they'd run specials every once in a while, like 40% more trade in, etc. I would for sure.

It would certainly give an incentive. I rarely trade in clubs but when I do I wait for a promotion that gives a value over what the PGA guide recommends.

What sort of grey area would there be? Obviously clubs are treated differently and 'graded' when traded in.

That would be my fear.. That I'd get screwed on how they graded the club when I traded it back in.

What sort of grey area would there be? Obviously clubs are treated differently and 'graded' when traded in.

That would be my fear.. That I'd get screwed on how they graded the club when I traded it back in.

Maybe they would provide multiple grades and pricing reflective of each grade. You would know at least the absolute minimum you would get in trade up front.

This definitely would provide incentive. I traded in clubs once when I was young and stupid. Learned my lesson after getting pennies on the dollar for them and have sold them myself since then to recoup more of the money I spent from buying a replacement online cheaper than I could at a B&M.

Maybe they would provide multiple grades and pricing reflective of each grade. You would know at least the absolute minimum you would get in trade up front.

I used to trade my gear into Golf Galaxy but they rarely seemed to grade fairly. I had a set of MP-32's back in the day that I wiped after EVERY shot on course or range the entire year. They were absolutely spotless, and they tried to give me the lowest value saying something to the effect of no one ever gets the high grade in trade.

With that in mind, I'd still rather take my chances on resale.

It sounds like a great idea but I have no idea how they would be able to guarantee a value regardless of condition. Grading has always seemed incredibly subjective to me.

I used to trade my gear into Golf Galaxy but they rarely seemed to grade fairly. I had a set of MP-32's back in the day that I wiped after EVERY shot on course or range the entire year. They were absolutely spotless, and they tried to give me the lowest value saying something to the effect of no one ever gets the high grade in trade.

With that in mind, I'd still rather take my chances on resale.

I have had good luck with the Golfsmith near my house giving me what seemed to be high end trade values. Now they also were running promos and my store is always low on trade in inventory so maybe that's a factor as well.

Could also be why they went bankrupt.

I have had good luck with the Golfsmith near my house giving me what seemed to be high end trade values. Now they also were running promos and my store is always low on trade in inventory so maybe that's a factor as well.

Could also be why they went bankrupt.

hahahaha probably. I also think there are a number of online retailers who offer 130% trade enough times throughout the year to make this incentive a bit less viable -- But we are not the average consumer so I do wonder if that concept could end up working.

hahahaha probably. I also think there are a number of online retailers who offer 130% trade enough times throughout the year to make this incentive a bit less viable -- But we are not the average consumer so I do wonder if that concept could end up working.

I just prefer immediate gratification. I would give up a bit of value if it meant getting what I want that day and not dealing with boxing, shipping, and dealing with resale buyers or vendors.

I bought a lot of stuff from my gs for this very reason. They were always higher than the PGA guide and were very fair about condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely buy locally and a trade-in is not something I have ever done. With rare exception, I will wait for a new driver, FW, or putter until I can get it discounted on eBay. Even my new Srixon 565 driver I was able to buy on eBay from an authorized Srixon dealer for $180(head only) shortly after it was released. I do buy wedges new from my club and I did buy a set of irons there a couple months ago, but that is only the second set of irons I've bought locally in my lifetime. I prefer to keep all my old clubs unless it's a putter or driver that I really don't like. In that case, I have no trouble selling it locally or on eBay.

If I can get close to the value of resale without the hassle, I will absolutely trade in and have on a few occasions. So yes, this might encourage me to buy locally.

If I can get close to the value of resale without the hassle, I will absolutely trade in and have on a few occasions. So yes, this might encourage me to buy locally.

If you find a place that does close to re-sale value, sign me up!!!

eBay resale value and store resale value always seem to have quite the chasm to cross so there is that.

I would consider but don't know if I actually would.

I always did this when Golfsmith ran their 50% Trade In bonus initially. When they originally started the program, you could use it anyway you wanted. I would load up any spares laying around and take it down and get a gift card I would eventually put to use. Eventually they made it so restrictive, it wasn't worth it unless I just happened to be in the market for something that qualified. You had to use it on that same day, woods for woods, irons for irons, etc.

If the value was commiserate with something reasonable, I would

I would in a heartbeat. If I could get a guaranteed trade in with it being as god as PGA trade-in, I'll sign up right now. True you "might" get more reselling it yourself, but the immediate sale and my time and effort in trying to resell the clubs would more than offset the few buck I would get if I resold my clubs.

With PGA value guide it used to be that they had 3 levels of grading ..well used / average .... above average / very good and mint that i have never seen used ever and i have traded multiple times so i know what the PGA value guide offered ... now they offer only 1 price and when compared to club prices users are getting screwed ....

the best trade in value i have seen was Dallas golf who have used up to 30% more value if you by something from them either online or ordering from them over the phone ..

and i never knew this until recently but PGA value seems now be operated by 3Balls golf and they will pay cash for trades on the price listed or they offer a 10% upgrade if you will accept a trade certificate and i know they pay because i just used the paid option ... they are slow on the turn around as it took about a month to get paid but they came through so even though a trade in is poor there are options

Between a loyalty discount I get and have not been screwed on trade in value by my fitter I usually buy from him with trade in and have been told he would match discount dans pricing for me it's hard for me to not consider buying locally

i really like the idea. i would definitely consider it.

Absolutely, I despise the pga value guide pricing and in a lot of instances they don't even use the condition rating. I'll buy locally in a minute.

I've managed to get within $50 or so with some iron sets during 150% value promos, and I jumped right on it when I did. Haven't yet seen that in store though. If I did that would be fantastic!

Back