Ping G30 LS Tec Driver - Review Thread

Having hit the G30 a few times, it's certainly not muted... especially if you're used to the relatively muted sound of Titleist, or recent Callaway offerings. At the same time I remember some of the stuff Cobra was putting out when they were under the Acushnet umbrella... nowhere close to that.

I'm more likely to nix a driver based on looks than sound, but this one doesn't bug me. It's a different sound but for me at least it doesn't translate into an unpleasant feel. But we all respond different to different frequencies.

Maybe I'm just getting older and my hearing is going.

I'm really excited to get my hands on this driver! Sounds like it is performing well for you Dan.

Unless it's absurdly loud, it typically doesn't bother me. It just may come down to the fact that I'm not as sensitive as others to it. I know you had some success with the G30, so if can lower spin and retain forgiveness that's impressive.

After hitting the Knuth in Tampa, I will never complain about sound again. Lol. Can't wait to get my G30 LS in soon. Plan on playing a few rounds in the coming weeks and would love to get this out and put it up against my current drivers. May even pick up a few adapters to have some different shaft options to compare.

After hitting the Knuth in Tampa, I will never complain about sound again. Lol. Can't wait to get my G30 LS in soon. Plan on playing a few rounds in the coming weeks and would love to get this out and put it up against my current drivers. May even pick up a few adapters to have some different shaft options to compare.

The Knuth is a level I have never experienced in terms of sound. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the G30. Most people seem to be impressed by it

I set the LS Tec to 8 degrees last night, which is where I should probably be gaming it.

The results are ugly on paper. 2 of 5 fairways (opted to play shorter on a couple par 4s), but I don't think that's telling of the experience. While I don't normally do this, I'm going to break down each shot and talk about the result.

Hole 1: fade off center, right side fairway - This was with one warm up swing, and I expected to keep the face open a little bit. The results played exactly to my expectations. Mid flight

Hole 3: Draw around the corner (par 5 dogleg left). I took an aggressive line because I was playing up a tee box and didn't want to miss with a big fade off the center (aka a window of a house). The ball ended up drawing and staying in the rough, but it gave me a long iron into the hole which is awesome. Mid flight.

Hole 4: Neutral swing path, contact just on the inside of center creating a 10 yard fade off the center of the fairway. Carry was solid, contact didn't feel as good as I'd like. Mid-high flight.

Hole 6: The left side of this par 5 is usually where the driest point is, and it was wet. I opted to try for the draw off center and just overcooked it a bit, however it was a bomb. had to have hit and bounced left, because I was expecting fairway and it was just off. Mid flight.

Hole 9: I've done this for two straight rounds. I knew it'd be all carry and the hole plays 430 yards, so I wanted a mid iron or better into the green and decided to get after the ball. Left the face open and probably came a bit inside, creating a higher than usual fadey slice looking thing that started on the center of the fairway and finished in the rough. I got what I deserved. high flight.

I broke the holes down because I think it tells the story. For golfers who hit the center of the face with a controlled, repeatable swing, you're going to see results that you expect depending on swing quality. I had one mediocre swing and it cost me a fairway and a good chance to go at a TOUGH pin, but with this head profile, I should expect that.

The shaft is a great pairing and will accommodate a lot of golfers who fit the profile necessary to game the LS Tec as opposed to the SF Tec or regular G30. Nice and stable through the swing, and ideal weighting paired with the head.

On course, the sound is fine. It's dialed up, there's no denying it. Somewhat of a hollow yet lively thwonk, however it's nothing like some of the more unique offerings out there clamoring about distance gains. On the range, I'll be honest and say I'd rather only hit it a couple times. I don't enjoy getting looks.

I'm curious about the 8* setting. What do you play in other heads? I've seen others - including high SS better players - comment that they needed more launch out of the G30 line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious about the 8* setting. What do you play in other heads? I've seen others - including high SS better players - comment that they needed more launch out of the G30 line.

Depends on the head I suppose. I'm usually comfortable somewhere between 8-9.5 degrees.

I swung the LS TEC 10.5° today on the launch monitors at Golf Galaxy, along with the XR Pro and the Vapor. The Ping has made me rethink my "no driver" stance, enough that I will be hunting down a demo day to try it out again.

I hit the 65g stiff shaft. Where the other two were hook machines for me, this left me with pushes as my miss, something I can easily deal with. The weight of this driver felt perfect to me.

My average numbers with the Ping were 102 swing speed, smash factor of 1.45, sidespin between 75-400, overall spin between 3200 and 3600. Carry distance average was 262, with a max of 278.

I swung the LS TEC 10.5° today on the launch monitors at Golf Galaxy, along with the XR Pro and the Vapor. The Ping has made me rethink my "no driver" stance, enough that I will be hunting down a demo day to try it out again.

I hit the 65g stiff shaft. Where the other two were hook machines for me, this left me with pushes as my miss, something I can easily deal with. The weight of this driver felt perfect to me.

My average numbers with the Ping were 102 swing speed, smash factor of 1.45, sidespin between 75-400, overall spin between 3200 and 3600. Carry distance average was 262, with a max of 278.
Well done (you best me by only 2mph's but that's translating into @15 yards more carry for you, which is excellent).

Thanks to my good buddy / enabler Tyler, I will be hitting this again tomorrow at Carl's Golfland.

Well done (you best me by only 2mph's but that's translating into @15 yards more carry for you, which is excellent).

This was my first time really paying attention to the numbers and asking the questions. My spin numbers were between 3700-4000 with the 10.5 setting. He knocked it down one setting to get the spin numbers down but the club did not feel quite as balanced to me as before. Still felt good. I will have no problem paying for a fitting with it to get something that works for me in my hand.

What surprised me the most is that I set up the same way with the Vapor and the XR Pro as I did with this, but those clubs turned over at contact big time for me. The Ping did not do it. Proof that in some ways the club does make a difference?

I hit the reg G30 today at Edwin Watts on my lunch break in 10.5. It had the stock TFC stiff shaft felt good. I am going back to pick up the shafts I had pulled tomorrow and will take a bit more time getting the LST in the bay. Only took a couple warm up swings and then 2 really easy swings with a ball. Hit it out toward the toe both times, but with Club speed of 112 and 114 I got distances of 290-310 total. Going to see how much different the LST numbers will be tomorrow.

These will be shipping to testers next week.

Three days of course work with the Ping G30 LS Tec. I've got it set at 8* to help keep my launch lower on account of playing in a lot of wind, on relatively firm fairways.

The results have been excellent. My stock shape with the setup is a draw and I have come to expect it on most swings. There are very few situations anymore where i am hitting a fade off the tee with the G30 LS Tec, and for the most part I can comfortably line up to the right side of my target line and expect the ball to return to start right and return just left of where i am aiming.

I've definitely overcooked it a few times left. Most of the time I just trap the head and deserve the results, not unlike most heads I've spent time with. This includes one yesterday where a bug flew into my ear and corked me big time haha -- nothing was coming back from that one.

With that in mind, I can play for a straight ball and hit fades if I want to. It's a fairly forgiving head for the profile, especially when I'm slightly below center or anything mid to high on the toe where I still see really solid carry numbers overall. I don't see it being as absolutely responsive as some of the 'tour' or 'player' heads we see available, but that's a perfectly fine thing. I don't personally live or die for extreme workability off the tee.

At 8 degrees of loft, I've been experiencing much more of a low-mid to mid launch which I am loving - seems like a really good combination between the head and the tour 65 shaft. In the current area I'm in, the ground is firm enough to get roll and I am experiencing some BIG numbers for me. I can't give carry numbers because I'm seeing solid bounces and roll, but let me just say I'm longer than I expect on most.

Back to the sound, it's a tolerable head on a tee box than it is on the range. I look for heads that tell me when I miss the center and this driver is definitely doing that, with an added "how ya doin" added in for good measure.

Can't wait to see how the testers like this one!

I am really trusting this club to perform right now. I worked it left and right around the course today, but mostly sticking with my stock draw.

Big distance too. Absolutely surprising how far I can hit this driver with a good bounce.

I am really trusting this club to perform right now. I worked it left and right around the course today, but mostly sticking with my stock draw.

Big distance too. Absolutely surprising how far I can hit this driver with a good bounce.

Love all your thoughts about this one buddy. Cannot wait to give it a test drive

Love all your thoughts about this one buddy. Cannot wait to give it a test drive

Glad you're enjoying my friend! While I normally mix my gamer into rounds during a testing period, I've felt little need to do that with this one.

Look what arrived today! Heading to the range shortly to give you all my first feedback post. Many more pics to follow.

044d83cd93841cbcefedf01a4669e1bc.jpg

Look what arrived today! Heading to the range shortly to give you all my first feedback post. Many more pics to follow.

044d83cd93841cbcefedf01a4669e1bc.jpg

Can't wait til mine gets in!!

First head-to-head vs my AMP Cell Pro in about 20 minutes.

Great, I am really looking forward to their thoughts.

Just got home and mine was at the door waiting for me! It looks incredible and can't wait to get it to the range. May not be until Friday, but if I can squeeze it in earlier I will. Hoping to get it on the course for at least 9 Saturday afternoon.

Back