Graphite Design Shaft Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
I looked and couldn't find a thread specifically on GD shafts and I thought, well why don't we start one?

I know many enjoy GD and they have had a LOT of play over the years both here and on tour. But, they're also one of the lesser marketed companies it seems.

So, here it is, a place for convo and discussion on anything Graphite Design.

Last edited:
  • Staff
I've hit ONE in my time golfing and it was a "Tiger Shaft" (AD-DI) in a Bridgestone J45 so it was a bad bad bad setup for my swing.

Now, I just ordered my Epic SZ with the new AD-TP7 in it out of sheer curiosity for the launch and spin profile. Looking forward to putting up some thoughts at the end of the month.

I love it!!!

Most of time experiences with GD are limited to AD-DI which just really doesn't work for my game. Recently at the Grandaddy I was fit for the new AD-TP which has been a great and responsive profile off the tee and fairway. I'm so intrigued that I've got a GP and a BB on the brain to add to my driver/fairway shaft experiences this year.

Can't wait to hear what everyone is gaming and why.

I've hit ONE in my time golfing and it was a "Tiger Shaft" (AD-DI) in a Bridgestone J45 so it was a bad bad bad setup for my swing.

Now, I just ordered my Epic SZ with the new AD-TP7 in it out of sheer curiosity for the launch and spin profile. Looking forward to putting up some thoughts at the end of the month.

It's funny you bring up that combo because I hit that one as straight as any combo I've had in a driver. I let a fitter talk me out of that combo for my Morgan Cup bag.

I played my SLDR-S at the Morgan Cup with the AD-MT and I truly did enjoy that shaft so much I wish I had never got rid of it. I think the feel is good and performance is good, its just the premium pricing makes other very good shafts more attractive.

marketed as high launch and low spin -- The unicorn profile!!!

There is a lot of talk on the AD-GP page about T1100 which I find interesting.

FTT – Fast Taper Technology
TORAYCA ® T1100G carbon-fiber pre-preg with NANOALLOY ® technology for increased stability in the mid to tip region and unsurpassed feel.
50 ton ultra-premium, high modulus, aerospace quality carbon fiber materials.
Graphite Design proprietary Material Stiffness Integration (MSI) design philosophy and technology.

I think at 7x it loads very well. I'll need more time on softer ground to get a better idea of what kind of bounce I am working with, but so far I really like it.

Great thread here!

I've always loved GD shaft offerings and I love that the shafts actually DO what they say they will do rather consistently.

I used to have more but I've always kept my favorite one around:

9b2146521f5563b992351e44e1706df3.jpg

• Staff
I love it!!!

Most of time experiences with GD are limited to AD-DI which just really doesn't work for my game. Recently at the Grandaddy I was fit for the new AD-TP which has been a great and responsive profile off the tee and fairway. I'm so intrigued that I've got a GP and a BB on the brain to add to my driver/fairway shaft experiences this year.

Can't wait to hear what everyone is gaming and why.
I won't lie, given the launch profile GD talks about with the TP I was surprised that was the one you were gaming. I assumed it'd end up the BB. I'm eager to try it, should be right in my wheelhouse.
It's funny you bring up that combo because I hit that one as straight as any combo I've had in a driver. I let a fitter talk me out of that combo for my Morgan Cup bag.
Oh that WOULD be a great combo for you.

I won't lie, given the launch profile GD talks about with the TP I was surprised that was the one you were gaming. I assumed it'd end up the BB. I'm eager to try it, should be right in my wheelhouse.

I asked specifically to experience graphite design a bit since I don't have any locally to demo, and that is what she pulled. I wasn't hitting the ball particularly high with HZRDUS Yellow so I am not surprised by the selection, but it did leave me curious about lofting up a bit and moving to BB or GP. Something I'll have fun with soon I am sure.

Adding the extra weight also changed the profile as well. I usually go mid 60s in the driver, but have enjoyed my time with the TP-7 so far.

marketed as high launch and low spin -- The unicorn profile!!!

There is a lot of talk on the AD-GP page about T1100 which I find interesting.

FTT – Fast Taper Technology
TORAYCA ® T1100G carbon-fiber pre-preg with NANOALLOY ® technology for increased stability in the mid to tip region and unsurpassed feel.
50 ton ultra-premium, high modulus, aerospace quality carbon fiber materials.
Graphite Design proprietary Material Stiffness Integration (MSI) design philosophy and technology.

I think at 7x it loads very well. I'll need more time on softer ground to get a better idea of what kind of bounce I am working with, but so far I really like it.

Then the fact its at the price it is with that pre-preg almost makes it sound like a bargain compared to the T1100 HZRDUS

I recently picked up a mint TM R15 with an AD DI 6X in it for $135 from Golf Mart. Sold the R15 driver head for $110 and I plan on putting the AD DI in the 917 D3. I'll toss up some numbers once I get the new big dog in the bag!

Then the fact its at the price it is with that pre-preg almost makes it sound like a bargain compared to the T1100 HZRDUS

Could have something to do with the manufacturing process and location. And a host of other reasons I'm sure.

Either way, I'm loving what I am getting out of TP in terms of responsiveness for X.

Interesting, a friend of mine who swears I'm ready for senior flex shafts just gave me a new uncut Tour Ad GP 5 in senior flex. I think I will have it prepared for my new Epic when it arrives. Used to play Tour Ad Di 6 in stiff for many years. Really enjoy the feel of these shafts. The GP 5 will be a real experiment!!

Could have something to do with the manufacturing process and location. And a host of other reasons I'm sure.

Either way, I'm loving what I am getting out of TP in terms of responsiveness for X.

The way I understood it, the T1100 in the GD's are just in the lower-mid to tip section. Could be wrong there though.

I had the AD-DI6 in a Razr Fit Xtreme driver and an AD-DI7 in the matching 3 wood. Holy Lord they were smooth and high launching/low spin marvels but they were both stiff flex and I was regaining my form after a 12 year golf exile. The driver in particular seemed a little whippy at that point. But up till then I loved the feel, the kick, the carry and roll. The price tag while a bit high is IMHO justified. I haven't tried any of their other offerings.

I could have probably rocked the 3 wood still and I do regret getting rid of that one in particular. It was a cannon. I gave it to my buddy and he is silly long with it. If a couple of GD shafts fell into my lap at a reasonable price I would definitely give them a go again.

Before the Project X event they were the best shafts I've ever had and it wasn't even close.

Last edited:
AD-DI in a 3w could be silly fun.

I have limited experience with this brand and mine has been limited to AD-DI in the 6s paired with Bridgestone j715. The combo was a great pairing for me and there are days I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of that.

I've been interested in testing other offerings but the limited availability in fitting carts and the price to tinker has kept me away

I have limited experience with this brand and mine has been limited to AD-DI in the 6s paired with Bridgestone j715. The combo was a great pairing for me and there are days I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of that.

I've been interested in testing other offerings but the limited availability in fitting carts and the price to tinker has kept me away

I think that is really why I have never spent a lot of time with anything GD. This year I plan on changing that with a lot of shaft brands, GD and Fuji are first out of the gates to try in in 2017

i've been fit into mj and bb (still scratching my head on the bb and never bought it). i did really enjoy the mj. very smooth, mid/high launch and mid spin. there are better fits for me but i did enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only hit the Ad-DI in an XR16. Launched high but wow it was as smooth as my Yonex. I love the way it feels when you swing it.

I am a fan. Never had a GD shaft until I was fit for the AD-BB for my Driver and fairways at #TheGrandaddy. I have to keep a towel handy however as mward drools on it every time we are together.

Anyone have any opinions on the GP shaft?? Just curious before I get this tipped for the Epic.

I played my SLDR-S at the Morgan Cup with the AD-MT and I truly did enjoy that shaft so much I wish I had never got rid of it. I think the feel is good and performance is good, its just the premium pricing makes other very good shafts more attractive.

The upcharge associated with GD usually guarantees I will be looking at another option.

Back