Callaway XR Hybrid Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give them a looks, gracias

No problemo.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out, because to me it's got a solid combo of forgiveness (especially low face) and length. I hit it quite a bit yesterday since the course I was on was shortened up and it was very good for me.

No problemo.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out, because to me it's got a solid combo of forgiveness (especially low face) and length. I hit it quite a bit yesterday since the course I was on was shortened up and it was very good for me.

Agreed - very odd to me that I hit the X2Hot so much better and higher, I love the matte black finish on these.

Your experience is identical to mine - I'm playing a 915 (occasionally) that has a much higher ball flight.
I was able to try more shafts with the 915 which I guess could be it. Both clubs felt really good to me though. Hope mine will turn up this week..

I was able to try more shafts with the 915 which I guess could be it. Both clubs felt really good to me though. Hope mine will turn up this week..

I put the old man Diamana Red in it and up up and away it went - but that is what I want out of a hybrid

I put the old man Diamana Red in it and up up and away it went - but that is what I want out of a hybrid
Whoa. That's exactly what I did and it gave me the exact gap I wanted from my 5 iron with a nice high flight. I also felt it was very consistent. Both this and the XR went the same sort of yardage time after time, all test shots being off the deck.. I don't hit the ball very far but in 15 test shots I had 1 duff and the others were 178 to 186 on cg2. Good enough for me. Love all this new tech..

Review on this one will be up in the near future, so I'm not going to do any long updates at the moment.

I'll say though that it's going to be in the bag to start my season. I try to never make the mistake of declaring commitment to any hybrid, because history shows I play around with that slot more than just about anything, but it's scary close to my 2Hot hybrid but longer by virtue of being a 3h rather than a 4h. That's exactly what I was looking for this year with a planned shift at the top end of my bag.

The goal was to have a club that I could hit off the tee on shorter holes, but still use off the turf if I had to. So far, that's exactly what I've got. Tee shots flight higher and in general are easier for me to keep on line. Saw what I'd characterize as high-level accuracy there over the last few outings.

It's a 3h, so in the real world that's a more difficult club to hit off the turf than higher lofts, but for a 3h I'm seeing good success. It's not a club I expect to throw darts with into a green, but I do expect to stay in the ballpark both with dispersion and distance. Good chance to test that last night on a shortened par 5, where I hit three balls into the green, all of which were less than perfect strikes. Not big ugly misses, but misses. A couple were a little heavy (sole glides well) and all three were a little toe-y. All three were equal distance to the front of the green (one about 1/2 way to the center). All three were left - one 10 yards, one about 3 yards, and the other on the fringe. In my world, that's pretty good from that distance and I suspect in many of your world's as well.

Callaway XR Hybrid Review Thread

Heez, I can say that compared to the 2Hot, I didn't care much for the BB. I don't know why, but that's the way I felt and I hit it quite a bit. I'll be able to compare all three eventually.

I think that the Bertha hybrid is solid, can't wait until I compare it to the XR tomorrow at a Demo Day tomorrow.

I know some don't care for the BB line, but I really like it...

Dax

Last edited:
My first round with my combo of XR Hybrid/Recoil 460 F4 provided some outstanding results for me personally today.
Easy to hit with outstanding trajectory. I was worried that I might turn these over too much but that was not at all the case for me, really just point and shoot.
Hit some off the tees on a couple of shortish par 4's and the 19* just flat out smoked it. I wont post distances cause we all differ but I will say that my shots were not much behind where I would normally hit my 4 Wood off these tees and dead center of the fairways.
For my money an outstanding combo!

I was able to take a few rips with the XR this afternoon. Certainly enough performance to make me consider replacing the Bertha. Seemed a touch more compact and for me easier to pick off the grass. Can't wait to get some time with it, hopefully I can demo it for an extended period before making the call.

I hit these today at a Demo Day at my course...

These are legit, I like them more than my BB hybrid. Wish I would have waited on these to be released before I pulled the trigger on the Big Bertha. But I believe that I will be getting the XR 4H, very soon....

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit these today at a Demo Day at my course...

These are legit, I like them more than my BB hybrid. Wish I would have waited on these to be released before I pulled the trigger on the Big Bertha. But I believe that I will be getting the XR 4H, very soon....

Dax

I didn't even get to post in the ponder thread, before I pulled the trigger on the 4H 22 degree version of the XR Hybrid. That is now much I liked hitting this club, really like the Project X stock shaft (wish they would have put this shaft in the BB hybrid). I'm getting married in May, so I really need to get my gamer bag set before purchases start getting more attention... LOL

Dax

Appreciate the feedback guys.

I hit a couple good shots and got away with a couple poor ones. Appreciate the low-face forgiveness, as I had some water to carry on a layup shot and saw visions of penalty strokes at impact. Ball carried though and left me a reasonable chance at getting a GIR.

I stopped by my local shop in hopes that they would have a 22* available to demo. No such luck, so it looks like I'm faced with buying it untested or waiting until our demo day in a few weeks. Bummed as I really wanted to give it a few cracks outside.

Unless it's an emergency I don't see why you shouldn't wait.

Unless it's an emergency I don't see why you shouldn't wait.

Well the way the Bertha is treating good rounds it is a bit of an emergency. Haha, in all seriousness I know the hybrid issues are my own but I really like the looks of the XR. I will definitely be holding off but am itching for April 18th (the demo day)!

Well the way the Bertha is treating good rounds it is a bit of an emergency. Haha, in all seriousness I know the hybrid issues are my own but I really like the looks of the XR. I will definitely be holding off but am itching for April 18th (the demo day)!

I now have a Bertha and a XR hybrid in my bag, and I'm not having the same issues you are having with the Bertha. With that being said, I have a feeling I'm going to like the XR better. Can't wait for it to come in.

Dax

So I have a couple rounds in with XR hybrid and want to post my thoughts. Just a bit of a background my previous hybrids were the x2hot pro and adams pro last years model. I was looking for a hybrid I could hit higher and softer. I purchased the 3 and 4 hybrids of the Xr. I have accomplished exactly by having hybrids that are easy to lunch and long. By the way I have the lz pro shaft in mine. It also lines up perfectly with my xr pro iron tapping.

I had had two shots from outside 230 that I was able to hit within 20 ft. Super happy with that.

Always nice to find something you like. Good stuff.

FWIW I have the 4 and 5h. Only range sessions yet, but they launch easy and distance is very good. My 4h is as long as my Ping G30 7w. I probably have to get me a XR 5w as well.

FWIW I have the 4 and 5h. Only range sessions yet, but they launch easy and distance is very good. My 4h is as long as my Ping G30 7w. I probably have to get me a XR 5w as well.

Same here -- my 5H with Fubuki Alpha X just arrived and I had a range session with it. I cannot judge distance because of range balls, but it felt zippy, did seem forgiving and launches well. I was impressed, so I ordered a 4H this morning w the same shaft and .5 inches longer so my specs between clubs are 1 inch and 3 degrees. The 4H may be my wind club when the 7wd might give away too much air.

Just trying to fill out the bag and get this done so I only get a driver and a LW every couple of years.

Hit a 4H at my local store today and got it on the monitor. I really liked the way the ball felt off the face and how easy it was to elevate. My issue was how ridiculously long this thing was. I was hitting the 22* in the 215-220 range. I'm trying to fill my 200 yard gap and am thinking that I will need less club. Pretty impressive stuff from Callaway.

RE: FWIW, Project X refers to their 5.5 as stiff flex and their 6.0 as S+. 6.5 is X and 7.0 as X+
JB, So why does the shaft say "Project X 5.5 R Flex" confusing

Got the chance to demo the 3H today out side vs my X2hot 3H. The XR might have been a hair more forgiving on heel shots but overall not enough improvement to make me give up my X2hots. If I didn't already own the X2hots I would add the XRs to the bag though.

I have both in my bag. An XR 5 Hybrid along with two X2 Hot Hybrids (3 and 4). I love 'em all. I don't notice too much difference between the two....maybe a bit more launch/height with the XR....but not enough to want to make me replace the X2 Hots.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back