How do you keep yourself involved with Golf while you are Injured?

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm injured now and won't be playing golf until late May. I'm keeping myself "Fresh" in golf through THP.
Any tips from your past experience or of a Friend or Relative that you can pass along to help bide the time until you were healed?

I know in our league last year there was a member who had surgery, but still came out and rode a cart around with his group. Just to still be around the game.

I would imagine if I'd need a heavy does of THP and Golf Channel to keep me sane, probably work on any sort of exercises that would help me in the long run too.

Depends on the injury. I was having some back issues going into the Granddaddy but couldn't not practice, so I spent a lot of time chipping and putting.

Depends on the injury to be honest. If it something muscular, I will probably try to continue doing something golf related (putting, chipping) if I can do it and not have it aggravate the injury.

If it is something that is repaired surgically I would try to be around the game in any way, shape or form - whether it is THP, Golf Channel or even checking out local events. When I had wrist surgery while I was playing flag football a few years back, I offered to referee the games just to stay involved and keep myself busy.

I've been lucky/blessed that I've not had to go though that, for the most part. However, depending on the injury, I'd still work on my short game if I could.

I'm on the bench myself - on the home stretch of nursing a wrist injury from July. It's tough. THP and the golf channel can help - but almost makes the itch worse.

Depending on the injury, can also take on some golf fitness stuff, too, especially related to stretching and flexibility. There is a Grandaddy goal this year, obviously, so that's also a way for you to be working for the team.

Exercise was big for me when it messed up hand. Lost some pounds which helped when it was time to golf again

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Purchase more equipment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the injury like others have said.

Golf Channel for the win! I find watching golf is excellent for learning tips and tricks from the leaders for course management and the couch is a great place to avoid injury! If you can't work on your swing might as well work on your strategy I figure. Also, depending on the injury, if you can putt....then putt. Never a bad thing to get some putting reps in

Depends on the injury like others have said.

Depends on the injury to be honest. If it something muscular, I will probably try to continue doing something golf related (putting, chipping) if I can do it and not have it aggravate the injury.

If it is something that is repaired surgically I would try to be around the game in any way, shape or form - whether it is THP, Golf Channel or even checking out local events. When I had wrist surgery while I was playing flag football a few years back, I offered to referee the games just to stay involved and keep myself busy.

Depends on the injury. I was having some back issues going into the Granddaddy but couldn't not practice, so I spent a lot of time chipping and putting.

I fracture my Hook of the Hamate bone in my left hand. I won't have surgery until Feb 27 to remove the bone.

I fracture my Hook of the Hamate bone in my left hand. I won't have surgery until Feb 27 to remove the bone.

Well...googling that just brought up some interesting pictures. haha.

Can you putt still? Or is that too painful? Watching a lot of golf channel I would say can keep you fresh. For me, I learn visually, so watching pros swing can actually keep me mentally on track. I know everyone is different though.

Can you putt still? Or is that too painful? Watching a lot of golf channel I would say can keep you fresh. For me, I learn visually, so watching pros swing can actually keep me mentally on track. I know everyone is different though.

I can putt using one of those "Despised" Winn Jumbo grips on my putter. See thread "LEAST favorite putter Grips"

How do you keep yourself involved with Golf while you are Injured?

We have a very informative thread going the subject:

Fractured Hook of the Hamate Bone

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...6&share_tid=86996&share_fid=1297&share_type=t

Last edited:
I think I would have to distance myself from the game. If I am reading the forums or watching on TV, I just want to play (or at least practice hitting balls). I would move on to immerse myself in something totally different that consumes my attention. That's just me though.

Luckily I have not had an injury that has kept me from the game for any length of time

I had back issues last season (for the most part, non golf related - and it's not the age, it's the mileage)... I didn't swing a club at all until late August/ early September. (i'm in CT, so there wasn't a TON of golf left in the year for me once back at it)

it was difficult doing anything golf related while injured, except for short stints at putting... i had intensive physical therapy for issues with the discs in L4 and L5 which THANKFULLY responded to PT alone. i was pretty rusty once back on the course, nearly a full year between rounds... but i'll tell you..... it felt AWESOME to be able to swing a club relatively pain free. I will say, while i don't baby myself, the thought of recurring issues are never far from my mind.

Honestly, i think i started back sooooo slowly and with such an easy swing, i was actually hitting BETTER off the tee than "normal" - farther too!! (i believe there's a lesson in there somewhere).

other than the aforementioned brief putting session every now and then, i watched a LOT of Golf Channel and took an occasional ride along with buddies who were out playing... (i drove a cart solo, stuck to cart paths, avoided any bone jarring bumps, etc... and heckled from the sidelines when appropriate)

To anyone experiencing injuries, back issues, etc... i'd say DON'T RUSH coming back just to swing a club and then re-injure yourself. Listen to your Dr., physical therapist, or whomever is treating you... it's easier said than done.... Good luck.

One of the longest for me was 6 months post achilles rupture repair. Even then, evidenced by my terrible swing mechanics and results, I came back too early.

It was the off season in NY when I snapped it on October 30th (1998). Didn't get back til late April/May.

I just read a whole lot, kept in touch with my buddies and I tagged along with them on a golf trip to Ocean City in late April. Played some, I shouldn't have as that was my first time swinging a club. It was awful but I still had fun.

Only golf activity prior was putting around the house once I could comfortably stand.

Longest stretch was when I threw my back out in June of 2002. That effectively ended my season til the following spring.

Back