MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
If a grip is put on by Taylormade and has 2 wraps on it, is it impossible to blow the grip off to save it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a grip is put on by Taylormade and has 2 wraps on it, is it impossible to blow the grip off to save it?

Yes, because they use solvent. It is essentially glued on.

It can be removed with the right tools and adding solvent back in, but you won't be able to blow it off.

I disagree to an extent. I have had success blowing OEM grips off as they usually use cheaper tape. Also, if you soak the grips in a bucket of very hot water for 10-15 minutes before trying to blow them off, I've had better success. Its not 100% foolproof but if you are trying to save some of the grips to save some money, you should be around 60-70% successful.

Thanks for the input. It's just one brand new grip so I think I may just cut it.

Back in the day, I didn't have much luck with saving a new/newer OEM grip in that manor, but it could be done with the right finesse.

Squirting some solvent in the hole of the butt of the gip then blowing it with an air compressor will help loosen it up somewhat. Then a little elbow grease twisting the grip back and forth will loosen a lot of them up to the extent that they can be blown off.

I tried to use some solvent but it was on there just too tight. Had to cut it off unfortunetly.

I tried to use some solvent but it was on there just too tight. Had to cut it off unfortunetly.

I have found that it is just a ton less work to cut of grips unless you know they are blown on

I have found that it is just a ton less work to cut of grips unless you know they are blown on

Came right from Taylormade Custom so can almost guarantee it wasn't blown on.

biggest thing is safety as well. If you're going to try and save grips by blowing them off with air and the grip was installed with tape then please cover the grip in a tube of some sort. Plastic or even a paper towel tube will do. Those things can expand and explode and can hurt

Back