Golf Stats by handicap: Where do you fall?

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I like this chart because it also shows the statistical relationship between each category and the strength of the relationship to scoring.

It tells me that I need to putt better as I'm already hitting 13+ GIR. It's not news, putting has been my weakness for decades.

Below is a table which summarizes some of the statistics that Riccio investigated. Where do you fit in with your game?
AVERAGE SCORE
Relationship​
CATEGORY
71​
75​
79​
81​
85​
89​
91​
95​
99​
GIR
12​
10​
8​
7​
5​
3​
2​
0​
0​
Strong​
% Fairways
81​
71​
61​
56​
46​
36​
31​
21​
11​
Weak​
Iron Accuracy
80​
68​
53​
47​
33​
20​
13​
0​
0​
Good​
Putts per Round
29.0​
30.3​
31.7​
32.3​
33.7​
35.0​
35.7​
37.0​
38.3​
Weak​
Pitch/Chip/Sand
5.1​
7.4​
9.8​
10.9​
13.3​
15.6​
16.8​
19.2​
21.5​
Strong​
Birdies
3.2​
2.4​
1.8​
1.5​
0.8​
0.1​
0​
0​
0​
Strong​
Pars
11.8​
10.3​
8.8​
8.1​
6.6​
5.1​
4.3​
2.8​
1.3​
Strong​
The last column indicates the strength of the statistical relationship between score and the statistic. A "Strong" relationship is one that predicts quite well one statisitic given the other (i.e. the SCORE given the GIR). A "Weak" relationship does not predict as well.

I'm normally in the 79 to 85 score range. I hit a high percentage of FW's and GIR, but it still comes down to overcoming the miss's and getting up and down. It is all inside of 100% yards for me, including putting.

Hits the nail on the head with me. GIRs in particular. 81-85 range and if I hit more than 8 GIRs in a round, I'm probably going to break 80. Good stats, IMO.

Mid 80's golfer who hits a lot of fairways, albeit short.

The GIR's and Iron Accuracy correlations to score tell my story.

Short game shots (pitch, chip, sand) + GIR = 18 (roughly).

Id fall in the 85 average score. Would probably be little higher in the fairways hit, but lower percentage for iron accuracy.

Some of my stats are much better than my scoring. Keep getting the big numbers, a 10 always hurts a good round. Decent driving, short, and putting but things go all to heck occasionally.

I fall off this chart based on my last round, 6 FIR, 1 GIR, 34 putts, carded a 102 (1st round on a proper course of the year) but I am trying to break 90 and my last year avg was around 93. Blowup holes kill me. I'll track again today to see if I'll fit into the chart.

I fall into the last column and I think it's pretty accurate. I hit 1 GIR yesterday and had only 2 pars. Everything else was bogey or worse.

My average round right now is around 95. Going off these stats, I'm way better on Fairways, a little better in GIRs, better in putts per round, but fall behind when it comes to wedges, which has coincidentally been what I have felt is the biggest weakness in my game right now.

Judging by the chart, my fairways hit numbers are that of a 75, My GIRs are like a 89, my putts per round are like a 81, but my pitch/chip/sand is that of a 99, my birdies are right on my handicap, 0 per round, and my pars are actually that of a 91. So this just confirms that the best way to improve my scores is first and foremost to get up and down more often.

My averages score is @ 85. I get killed with putts per round which is always 35 or higher. Above average in fairways hit but not a long hitter. This makes my GIR a challenge because I'm usually hitting a hybrid or 4,5 iron into a green.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but a good score for me has been a 95 (19.9 handicap), but all those metrics under the 95 I'm almost always higher on. My averages over the last year are 3-4 GIR, 40%+ fairways, 36 putts per round, 4 pars per round. Not sure what iron accuracy or the pitch/chip/sand metrics mean...so maybe that's where i'm falling short. But how would i interpret this statistically? Does it simply boil back to my blow up holes that I frequently have?

I fall mostly into the 89 or 91 category. And while I will say I hit those numbers for GIR and fairways (give or take a couple depending on the day), my putts have hardly been as high as 35 during the last part of last season. Luckily it shows that my putts aren't a major problem in my scoring!

Can you clarify what the metrics are for Iron Accuracy and Pitch/Chip/Sand? I am assuming Accuracy is a % of some type and Pitch/Chip/Sand are in strokes but what is the definition.

Also, see that you are using the Cleveland Smart Square putter - what do you think of it? Tried one the other day at Golf Galaxy - certainly a different look.

To answer your original question - my stats are mainly in the 75 and 79 columns with the exceptions of Putting and Pitch/Chip/Sand which, while I don't have the specific stat, I am sure are more in the mid-80 range. Hence, my big golf project for 2015 is working on my short game.

This gives me motivation to really track my stats this year, although I definitely feel like greens and sub 30 putting rounds are the game changers for me.

Can you clarify what the metrics are for Iron Accuracy and Pitch/Chip/Sand? I am assuming Accuracy is a % of some type and Pitch/Chip/Sand are in strokes but what is the definition.

Second this request. I like that my planned focus (GIR) is a good place to be looking at.

No column for blow up holes? My stats are slightly better than shown for my handicap but I seem to have a hard time avoiding at least 1 big number per round, usually per 9.

I have not played this year yet however I found an old card from 2003 when I was 58. Home course, par 71, blue tees. 37 front 37 back. 13 pars, 1 bird, 4 bogeys, 27 putts. Up and down 7 times with 9 one putt greens, no 3 putts. Working hard on my game now trying to revive some touch. I should be ready soon to start playing again as much as my physical condition allows. I will be playing the white tees at 6030 yards.

Where I fail to be average (for players with my cap) isn't included as that would be distance. Also, what do they mean by 'iron accuracy'? Is it the percentage of time you hit it flush? online? the correct distance? all of the above?

No column for blow up holes?

That is what my issue is, I usually manage solid GIR and am a decent putter... but when I do blow up a hole, it is like 2-4 holes a round so my score inflates rapidly! :act-up:

I like this chart because it also shows the statistical relationship between each category and the strength of the relationship to scoring.

It tells me that I need to putt better as I'm already hitting 13+ GIR. It's not news, putting has been my weakness for decades.

Below is a table which summarizes some of the statistics that Riccio investigated. Where do you fit in with your game?

AVERAGE SCORE

Relationship​
CATEGORY

71​

75​

79​

81​

85​

89​

91​

95​

99​
GIR

12​

10​

8​

7​

5​

3​

0​

0​

Strong​
% Fairways

81​

71​

61​

56​

46​

31​

21​

11​

Weak​
Iron Accuracy

80​

68​

53​

47​

33​

20​

0​

0​

Good​
Putts per Round

29.0​

30.3​

31.7​

32.3​

33.7​

35.7​

37.0​

38.3​

Weak​
Pitch/Chip/Sand

5.1​

7.4​

9.8​

10.9​

13.3​

15.6​

16.8​

19.2​

21.5​

Strong​
Birdies

3.2​

2.4​

1.8​

1.5​

0.8​

0​

0​

0​

Strong​
Pars

11.8​

10.3​

8.8​

8.1​

6.6​

5.1​

4.3​

1.3​

Strong​
The last column indicates the strength of the statistical relationship between score and the statistic. A "Strong" relationship is one that predicts quite well one statisitic given the other (i.e. the SCORE given the GIR). A "Weak" relationship does not predict as well.

My last twenty rounds were generally somewhere between 90-105, and I think this chart bears that out pretty nicely. I need to clean up my approach shots and overall short game to get below 90. Also need to give my self more chances at par.

How do we measure iron accuracy? Is this the same as GIR%?

Pretty much says I'm anywhere from 85-95 on average which is about right. Very interesting...one question though, what's "Iron Accuracy"? I don't think I track that stat.

Interesting table. My average score is low 90s. Sometimes I'll shoot high 80s, sometime mid 90s, but either way, looking at that 91 column.....it doesn't match what I actually do. However, it just further confirms that I need to reduce the number of putts I have.

~Rock

well another round with some blowup holes & irons totally failed me. Drives were 10/14 , 1 par (short on birdie putt par 5) & 8 bogies, 1 GIR, carded a 102. it was really ugly. Topping my irons. I think to fit this chart I have to figure out what happened to my irons.

Back