Which tee box do you hit from if....

greg19

Reaction score
Handicap
Growing!
You're playing with a friend who is just learning the game. Do you play from your regular tees and have him play from forward tees or do you just move up to the same tee box as him for the round so he doesn't feel any more self conscious than he already does. Me, I just move up towhere my friend is hitting from. What do you do?

I move up to the forward tees and play alongside with them.

I move up

I play with my dad who is in his 60s so I play off the whites and he plays from the reds. Only time I'll switch is if they are in different locations rather than just further back.

E.g. the 8th at the local course the white tees are back over the creek while the reds are probably 50 meters ahead of the water, so i go up to the red just to be social and stuff

I move up if it's just me and someone else.

Unless I'm playing a bucket list course where I want to play from where I think I'll find the most enjoyment from the course I always play the same box as the general consensus .

I would move up with my buddy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would move up and probably just hit a fairway wood or hybrid off the tee.

Some folks I move up with and some I play from where I want/am most comfortable.

Case in point, my father in law takes it as a personal issue if I move up from my normal tees.

Agreed. I would move up.

I would move up. It's not a big deal.

move up. Be a pal.

It depends, if I thought he was going to feel uncomfortable playing ahead of me I'd move up with him. If I knew he wouldn't care I would just play my tees. I have no problem with playing with someone who wants to play a tee box ahead of or behind me.

This scenario presents itself often for me. Always move up

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Depends, I've done both.

what jrod said

Move up, part of the fun in golf is tee box chatter. I'd like to think it would make friend feel more comfortable, less alienated.

I move up. Can have just as much fun playing from any tee box and want to make him/her feel comfortable.

Move up for sure. Whenever I play with my dad we will play the most forward tees we can find.
Golf is fun that way and makes the day more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just learning the game? why is it always assumed a newbie cant hit long enough? And if one is simply that new to the game chances are no matter where they play from they will be hacking it all over anyway and picking up the ball anyway on numerous occasions. So playing more forward for many reasons simply doesn't matter anyway. I say just play with me from my tees because its not like moving up is making his life any easier at all. ^,7,8 strokes an still less than half a hole left over just simply doesn't mean anything from any tee. He's picking up and moving along with you anyway.

Please don't tell me a newbie who is learning is going to kill pace from a middle tee vs say a forward tee. If they and you are aware of pace they are going to be spraying balls and picking up and moving regardless. Hitting a slice into the woods or chinking one is going to happen from the red or the white or even the blue. Or hacking ones way through each hole is going to happen from just about everywhere and anywhere on the course. And if new learner is to be decent enough to keep the ball in play on most occasions then at that point they really don't need you anyway and may even be longer than you.
Unless talking about a youth here, or a woman playing forward the noble gesture simply is pointless. It solves nothing you couldn't solve while having the person play along side you instead. They are going to take 120 strokes and be picking up from any tee. It just doesn't make a difference towards much anything.

I would move up. It could be fun to play from a different spot than normal.

I'm playing wherever they feel comfortable but may play a different tee box every so often

Play the tees that will allow him to have the most fun!!

I've got a couple of guys I play with, one is 77 and the other is 58 but with some serious disc problems in his neck. Due to the length of the course I've convinced them for their enjoyment to play a combination of red and white tees (we only have 3 sets of tees, blue, white and red). It is probably about 50/50 whether I play from the whites or play the same set of tees they are playing to be sociable. We have an 84 yr old that sometimes plays with us, he plays from the reds and we will sometimes play all 18 from there with him, again to be sociable. Playing different sets of tees has the advantage of me being able to work with different clubs or types of shots than I might normally encounter.

We are trying to get that combination of tees rated to be used as "Senior Tees" since the regular men's tees are too long for a lot of older guys and there is a stigma about playing from the red/ladies tees for many.

Back