What putter attribute matters most to you?

CBaker

Another bald guy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think we have had these before, but things change and new styles are always coming out. So, in terms of putters, I know I am not alone in having a bunch of quirky needs in a putter to have it "work" for me. When it comes down to it, what is the most important attribute out of the following:

Size/shape?
Sound?
Finish?
Weight?
Face - milled/insert?
Brand?

For me it's probably sound. I can get a long with a wide variety of styles/shapes/colors/materials, but if the sound is even slightly off, I can't get past it.

First and foremost, the completely objective standard of aesthetics. A putter has to look good to my eye. I can't explain it any further.

feel and weight really are the most to me, also the head can't be crazy big or distracting.

Last putter got picked off feel, but that was 6 years ago. I'd love to go into a shop and just try every putter they have until I find what i love

First and foremost, the completely objective standard of aesthetics. A putter has to look good to my eye. I can't explain it any further.

That one doesn't need explanation. I understand that completely haha

Mine has to be a Hang Toe - First thing I do when I pick it up is check. If it isn't, I put down.
after that, it has to feel and look right.

This times 2

Looks/aesthetics, this includes finish and head shape.

Then weight. I like a heavier putter so has to be in the weight range I like

For me, it's how the ball feels off the putter face

Completely agree! If it doesn't pass the "eye" test it's a no go!

Head shape that is pleasing to my eye that has a dark, non-glare finish. I know that cover two attributes but they go together for me.

None of those fall into the top spot for my putter priority. I go based on performance so I need a putter that starts the ball on my intended line. First thing I do is test how well the putter can do this.

Looks.

Looks then sound/feel and roll

Looks then feel

Has to fit my eye. If it doesn't look good I usually don't roll it well.

Looks first off, then roll. I'm not a fantastic putter, but I can usually make any putter "work"

Shape, Weight, and Face. In that order.

Back