How much will you pay for cart fees?

StanTheCaddy

Who wants 2 have some fun
Reaction score
Handicap
9.8 USGA
Hypothetical situation; you are playing a walkable course on a nice day. This isn't a bucket list course or a course you've traveled to play. We're talking local courses or courses on a family vacation that isn't centered around golf. A cart is not included in the greens fee. How much are you willing to pay to ride? I personally prefer to walk than ride, I enjoy the exercise and I tend to play better. So, if it costs any extra I'm walking. Most of my friends are along the same line of thinking where we mostly play courses where the price of a cart is included in the greens fee or we're playing a course and walking. However, I have one group of friends that are relatively new to the game and they'll pay any price to ride. I believe the most they've paid was in the $40 range. They always take a cart at my home course which is $32 to play and an extra $19 to ride. I think that's kind of a ridiculous price because it cost me less to walk 3 rounds than it does for them to ride and play 2 rounds and I consider my course very walkable.

So THP, do you guys have a price where you draw the line or are you riding at any cost when we're talking about playing typical courses in your area?

If it's not included in the price (which most of the deals I get around here it is), then maybe $5-$10 or I'm walking if it's an easy to walk course. If it's a tough walking course, I might consider spending a little more.

Over 50% of the cost of the round from your example is insane to me though.

I've mentioned this to my friends over and over before they finally understood what I was talking about. We pay $35 for the round of golf and then an extra $20 for a cart. That's crazy, especially for just the local course that we play frequently. If we walked it's basically every 3rd round is free. If the cart isn't included in the price of golf the majority of the time i'll opt to walk.

I prefer to walk as well, so I'm almost always apt to skip the additional cart fee. We have a couple of courses around here that carts are included in the green fee, so in that case I'll ride. Usually walking otherwise.

I like to walk for the exercise so if it's not included I'll walk (even if it is included, I'll probably walk) with a push cart. Exceptions are if the weather is extreme (real cold, etc) in which case having a cart makes it easy to bail if it really is unplayable.

In your example, you would have to hold a gun to my head to get me to ride. Even on hard to walk courses, I'll often walk if they'll let me.

The only times I take a cart are when I'm playing with folks who strongly prefer it (example - my dad doesn't walk, period), and when the course forces me to.

Prefer to walk, so if I have played it before I will not pay any extra to ride.

If I haven't played the course before I might pay another $10 as there have been more than a few times I have played a new course and had a semi blind shot that if I had a cart I would have driven up and taken a look. Walking, I just took a hack and hoped it worked out after looking at the scorecard.

$0 because I much prefer walking. Only ride in tournaments or events and the cart fee is already included in the price.

If it's not a difficult course to walk I will walk but I'm good for $15 to ride.

$18 per round!

A lot of courses have the cart cost built into the greens fee. But when it's separated, I prefer the cost of the cart to be high (as long as the total fee is comparable to other similar courses). That way it's cheaper if I choose to walk.

That said, I don't walk a lot.

If we're traveling, I would much rather the cost of the cart be included since it cuts down on the math. I prefer to walk but I'm not carrying.
If we're at our home course, on paper I pay $1200 a year for unlimited carts but have yet to pay it. I worked that deal out when I joined.

In your example, you would have to hold a gun to my head to get me to ride. Even on hard to walk courses, I'll often walk if they'll let me.

The only times I take a cart are when I'm playing with folks who strongly prefer it (example - my dad doesn't walk, period), and when the course forces me to.

Agree here. I will spend up to $0.00 on a power cart on any course.
Shuksan on line 1.

Agree here. I will spend up to $0.00 on a power cart on any course.
Shuksan on line 1.
I still affectionately remember the faces people would make when we said we were walking Shuksan LOL

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I don't generally have a price that I will/won't take a cart. It is more based on distance and elevation changes.

If the course is flat, and easily walkable, I will do so. If there are all sorts of elevation changes, I will ride the cart.

unless the people I am with strongly prefer it or it is required I am with the zero for a cart people. We have a couple local courses that are considered unwalkable that I have walked multiple times. None of them were as difficult as Chambers bay was which I believe requires walking (huzzah!)

The math in the OPs example was my original reason...when I was learning the game I spent zero on golf balls, golf clubs, golf carts, golf snacks...because every penny spent on them was a penny less I could spend on another round. Now I spend zero on carts because I play better when I walk, I prefer to carry not push/pull, and I appreciate the extra calorie burn.

The course I'm looking at becoming a member at doesn't include cart fee's in the membership rate. They charge $13 for 18 and $8 for 9 in addition to your membership fee. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to force myself to walk 9 holes a week as apart of my weight loss. I'm typically a rider- but I'm starting to see some of the health benefits of walking 9 or 18 so it's intriguing to me.

Guess my limit is $40 since that's the cart fee at Torrey Pines.

I don't necessarily have a limit, but I think it's pretty poor judgement on a courses end to charge more than $10 per person or so. And if a single wants to ride he/she shouldn't have to pay $20 for the cart, still just $10.

Couple bucks per hole in most cases, unless it is really a top course.

A reasonable cart fee for me is $15-18. I will walk 99% of the time on almost any course where it is available. I enjoy walking and carrying and the exercise and it's usually easier for me to keep track of where my ball went awry off the tee if I can walk straight towards my ball.

I usually walk but it's $10 to ride at the 2 places I play. For 9 holes it makes the price $25 with a cart.

Back