New Taylormade Driving Iron

I had similar results with the Mashie hybrids a few years ago. I hit the M3 further than I did the M1. I just chalked it up to me not having enough swing speed to get it up in the air high enough.

I definitely want to get some hard data from a ball monitor for comparison and to help me with a plan of attack. I only carry 13 clubs as it is so no stressing over a bag spot. Even if the 1 is for punch shots (worst case scenario) those three clubs offer a fair amount of versatility!

I had my first on course experience with these three clubs. What I figured out is the following:

The one iron is a Tee – only club for me, and in order for me to hit it the best I will tee it up a little higher so I can connect on an upswing. Doing that I had a couple of drives in the 240 range, leaving me a PW in to the green. The ball flight will be either straight or a bit of a draw.

The 2 iron was again for the tee only but I could tee the ball down better and hit a lower shot. Average distance for me was in the 215 range.

The 3 iron might be the odd man out. I can hit it off the deck but it does not go any further than my XTD 5 iron does and the 5 iron has much more accuracy at the moment. I am not sure if it has a place in the bag for teeing off either because I have pretty good control over the 1 and 2 iron so I can't really envision a distance that I would need the 3 iron for. But I already have an open slot in my bag so there's no need to take it out, I'll just need to see where this fits in.

I picked up a 2 iron cheap recently. This club is so much fun. Super easy to find the fairway I think I'll keep it in the bag for a little while for those holes where accuracy is top priority.

Back