Temperature and yardage

I'm not sure I've ever paid attention. I play in sub-40° temps at the beginning and end of the year, and never consciously clubbed up to compensate for the cold. Maybe I just swing harder?

?????

A golf ball actually flys farther in hot and humid air. The more humid the air the farther the ball will travel.
True, but the more hot and humid, the more the golfer gets beat down.

I just guess. A club or two.

It's a feel thing for me. I've never really seen an across the board standard when it comes to distance loss from colder temps. It varies every time out.

With that said, I expect to hit about a club more of the temperature is below 40. I also try to play a lower compression ball in colder temps to make sure I can compress it.

Seth with some good points, as usual. It is a feel thing in more ways than one for me. When my hands get cold, they loose the "touch" or feel which may make as much difference as the cold air in distance the ball carries. I don't usually wear a glove but in extreme cold, sometimes I wear rain gloves and always have an extra large "Hot Hands" to help keep some feeling in my hands. (Hot Hands is a great product, made here in Dalton by Heatmax--so everyone stock up! Our economy needs it.)

Good point on the ball as well, I used Callaway Supersoft this winter with some success. (which is another aspect of touch or feel)

Back