installing grips: how do you do it?

• blow them on

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • grip tape and solvent

Votes: 50 73.5%
  • have them installed at the store

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters
Grip tape and solvent, just so darn easy. Have to anchor the vice in the new abode, still haven't gotten around to it. Usually use that and a rubber clamp but I've done a couple of putter grips without, still easy enough. Hook blade is my best friend for old grip removal.

Completely ruin it judging by my first attempt

I use grip tape and solvent, but, I don't do putters. Clubs are easy. I don't use a vise, but, instead just put the club head against the wall and push the grip on in one motion. Then, I turn the club upside down and tap it on the floor to make sure it's all the way seated. I watched a pro do it that way.

Good old fashioned tape and solvent. I use odorless mineral spirits.

Speaking of which, I need some more tape!

always been a tape and solvent. Just posted a thread though looking for guidance on how to best blow them on. Would like to move to this in the future....

I'm old school, I cut mine off, remove tape, retap and apply new grip with solvent. I can get this done in less than 20 minutes. I've been doing this for the better part of 20 years. The air gun is the easiest method

Tape and solvent for me, but I will use air from time to time. Really helps when I don't want to ruin a Super Stroke grip by taking a knife to it.

JM

that's exactly what I do

I remember using air for the first time many years ago.

The grip ballooned out like it had a football under it.

Went right back to thinner......lol

Tape and Solvent. It's nice to be able to get it done on your timetable instead of chasing someplace.

Double sided tape and solvent. I've found odorless mineral spirits work the best. No fumes, evaporates quickly, and is relatively inexpensive. I've used both 3/4" and 2" tape, and day-in and day-out prefer the 3/4". It's easier to use, and if someone wants their tape spiraled (yes, some players specifically ask for that!) it's way easier to spiral. I use 2" masking tape for build-up though.

A sharp hook blade helps with cutting off old grips and a heat gun for removing the old tape.

Tape and solvent. Would love to do air but no compressor at the moment.

I have only done Tape and Solvent, but have been looking into Air. I think I am missing how Air keeps a grip to the club... some vids show using a little solvent and tape (so it looks like the old method with a new installation mechanism.)

too much of a newbie to really understand it all. Probably will stick with the old way until I am more comfortable with air. (and tape and solvent is what the TMAG Van used to build my club on the spot).

I really enjoy installing new grips..... but man removing old ones (mainly the old tape).... I hate it.

Went to throw a new SuperStroke on today, man it was a bugger. 1/2 way on and it wouldn't budge at all. Pain to get off, easier to get on the next time.

Interestingly, just did something I have never done before, Removed the superstroke pistol gt 2.0 off my White Ice Rossie, and put it on my Toulon San Diego.

I was going to just get another grip for the Toulon, but then figured why not. Didn't have grip solvent or tape but figured worst case is I'll go get some tomorrow.

Luckily got the toulon grip off without a scratch to the tape that was holding it on, and the the superstroke on the rose did take a little while to break free but was not all that difficult, but once I got it free, it slid off easily.

I didn't even have grip solvent, so I just used some wd40 and it worked great actually.

Put the superstroke grip on my toulon super easy, just slid it on, lined it up, and a couple of hours later, wd40 had evaporated and it was ready to go.

left the white ice rossie without a grip for now until I decide what grip to put on it later....

need to grab some supplies to grip myself. but Ive done it in the past and it was easy....

as an extension, what is the method using air and trying to save the grips?
and when using double sided tape, do also use an adhesive?

installing grips: how do you do it?

as an extension, what is the method using air and trying to save the grips?
and when using double sided tape, do also use an adhesive?

Several videos on-line showing air install, in particular check out Pure Grip's video. You will want to use some kind of activator with double sided tape such as Brampton's or mineral spirits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use air for mine. Easy peasy and no mess and swapping grips out is a cinch

Tape and mineral spirits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tape and solvent is always what I have done. However I just bought an odyssey RSX PUTTER and wanted to save the leather cover. First time I have done the compressed air thing and worked great. Used some YouTube help but really 30 sec and done. I slid on a super stroke just for testing but will tape and solvent now as love my putter.

I voted before but I just bought a small air compressor and the attachment to blow grips on. Figure this will help me be able to switch grips out easier.

I voted before but I just bought a small air compressor and the attachment to blow grips on. Figure this will help me be able to switch grips out easier.

Can you recommend a good air compressor for this? I've always used the tape/solvent way, but I need to learn how to blow them on to make things quicker.

I use air to install and remove grips. I use Sherwin Williams masking tape (1 1/2" wide) which is thinner than most tapes. I run 3 lengths of tape, use a little grip solvent then air the grip on.

Just regripped all my irons yesterday,...air makes it sooo easy.

Blue painters tape, little solvent on the tape, one squirt in the grip, air it on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back