Temperature and yardage

Thedoswells

Reaction score
Handicap
GST 12.0
I was wondering how people adust for temperature, in a similar way to allowing for wind strength and direction.
I played today and it was around 40 to 45F, and I was allowing a good half to 3/4 club more than summer where it will be mid 70s.
Wondered if that sounds about right. The air felt heavy and the ball just wasn't really flying.
or is it not as simple as that?

I just guess and club up at least a club when it is that cold. As long as I'm not hitting it too far, I'll keep clubbing up.

I've wondered this as well. I hope someone knows

I seem to lose more yardage in the heat and humidity of the summer, and I never play much below 60 degrees, so I don't know about cold weather.

I play in the 30s and 40s all the time and I figure on a good 10% loss in distance across the board compared to summer conditions where I'm playing in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

I don't know how you guys play golf in those cold temps. Kuddos to you guys that do cause I would wimp out.

1 to 2 clubs for me

I play in the 30s and 40s all the time and I figure on a good 10% loss in distance across the board compared to summer conditions where I'm playing in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Sounds pretty much what I thought thanks..

I don't know how you guys play golf in those cold temps. Kuddos to you guys that do cause I would wimp out.

No choice my friend. Play when it's cold or don't play much...

1 to 2 clubs for me

Yessir, sounds good. Cheers

Made me think. I wonder if the ball also flies lower

I don't know how we did it yesterday to be honest. High 40s are usually ok, but the wind was just bitter for us yesterday.

I was wondering how people adust for temperature, in a similar way to allowing for wind strength and direction.
I played today and it was around 40 to 45F, and I was allowing a good half to 3/4 club more than summer where it will be mid 70s.
Wondered if that sounds about right. The air felt heavy and the ball just wasn't really flying.
or is it not as simple as that?

its always imo hard to tell till you get going with some trial and error first couple/few holes. And the longer the club the more distance is lost imo. Similar percentage perhaps but that equates to longer distances on longer clubs. But as said there is no magic formula imo and its just hit and see and than adjust accordingly.

club up one club and if over the course of a few holes that is still short i will club up again.

I was once young, but everything hurts more at 53 years old in the cold. No way I could do it today, or want to do it. 60 is my cut off.

I seem to lose more yardage in the heat and humidity of the summer, and I never play much below 60 degrees, so I don't know about cold weather.

?????

A golf ball actually flys farther in hot and humid air. The more humid the air the farther the ball will travel.

On the topic of the thread though I usually club up one club or so.

Anything below 60 is one club more till it gets to the low 40's and below and then it's 2 clubs.

Once the temp gets to mid 40's my clothing makes it too hard to swing normal and costs me the extra yardage.

For temps 25 to about 35 it's at least two clubs for me and at least one club up to about 50 or so.

Anything below 60 is one club more till it gets to the low 40's and below and then it's 2 clubs.

Once the temp gets to mid 40's my clothing makes it too hard to swing normal and costs me the extra yardage.

Very good point on top of the general impact of the cold weather on balls, etc. I was at the range today and I had multiple layers on under a lined windbreaker. Definitely slows one down relative to summer wear.

I'd say 1 club for me, maybe more compared to when it's really warm >85. I like to use soft balls (Wilson duo or something) when it's cold.

I've played in a lot of cold weather and have alway gone by the formula of 2 - 2.5 yard loss for every 10 degrees below 75 degrees. So at 45 degrees an iron shot would carry about 7 yards less.

I was once young, but everything hurts more at 53 years old in the cold. No way I could do it today, or want to do it. 60 is my cut off.
Agreed. I'm 56 and it is hard. But I either do it or have very limited number of games...

Good points thanks.
i was so cold playing over the weekend as not only was it cold anyway, but there was a freezing northerly wind.
i had a t shirt on, then a shirt, then a light trekking fleece, then another fleece. Definitely hampered movement.
So in hindsight I'm not so disappointed with my scores.

I've played in a lot of cold weather and have alway gone by the formula of 2 - 2.5 yard loss for every 10 degrees below 75 degrees. So at 45 degrees an iron shot would carry about 7 yards less.

This is what I have read and generally experienced and refers to the effect of colder heavier air on ball carry.

The other factor is the internal temperature of the ball itself. If the ball has been stored in the cold and the core is cold it will be less "elastic" and the loss of distance will be even greater. Storing the balls inside prior to playing and then keeping a couple in your pocket and rotating them while playing will lessen the impact. Works good from my experience. At least as long as the driver is behaving and I can keep the same two balls in play.

Typically one club when it is under 60. About a half a club in the 60's.

It's a feel thing for me. I've never really seen an across the board standard when it comes to distance loss from colder temps. It varies every time out.

With that said, I expect to hit about a club more of the temperature is below 40. I also try to play a lower compression ball in colder temps to make sure I can compress it.

Back