TaylorMade AeroBurner Driver Preview

Funny how this driver went from one of the most mocked releases this year to one of the hottest clubs out now. I guess performance does trump looks sometimes.

I have to admit, I keep thinking about this driver. I've been fighting a push/slice with driver for a while now but the 15 or so balls I hit outside with this one were overwhelmingly in the straight zone. I have no idea if that was a total coincidence or the shaft or what, but it is enticing.

I've hit this a bunch over the winter, in various sims...it has always done nicely for me there. Nice, but higher ball flight, nice spin (below 2500) and a consistent draw.
I couldn't resist (there goes playing what I have in the bag this year, that lasted about 6 weeks) and I have one in hand as of yesterday...10.5 stiff.
Will range test it this weekend. If it out performs my current gamer, it's in the bag.

Just got back from the range and the AeroBurner is in the bag...consistent and forgiving. Center of the face is bombed.

10.5* with a Aldila Rogue Silver 60 is en route and will be here Tuesday.

I only swung the Aeroburner once at the THP Live Driver Testing event this past weekend. It was on the course, mid round, on probably the toughest driving hole in the course. #11 with a tight fairway and a big oak tree right in the middle of the fairway. Hit my 3rd best drive all day with the Aeroburner. Mid to high ball flight with a nice small 5 yard fade, past and just to the right of the tree. Man, I should have hit this one again.

Really enjoyed the feedback on this from the weekend. I had a feeling this one might be a good driver and I'm glad to see that seems to be the case.

Really enjoyed the feedback on this from the weekend. I had a feeling this one might be a good driver and I'm glad to see that seems to be the case.

I was thinking the same thing, that perhaps we are seeing TM turing back to at least trying to provide something for all areas. Next year is when I really want to see what they do though.

This one though, I don't like the white (never have), and think its busy, but I want to hit it. A lot.

White doesn't bother me too much. At first I wasn't in to it, but sort of just accepted it when I had my love affair with the Super LS hybrids.

I think they did a good job on the crown though. The graphics aren't over the top or anything.

White doesn't bother me too much. At first I wasn't in to it, but sort of just accepted it when I had my love affair with the Super LS hybrids.

I think they did a good job on the crown though. The graphics aren't over the top or anything.

I just struggle with the white, always have and always will. For me, the crown is just a bit much with the raised ridge section down the middle and then the dimples on the outsides of that. That said, I've gamed busier, and I'm just glad its not JetSpeed 2.0.

I hit a couple of great drives with this over the weekend. A bit high spin for me, but that was probably due to the 50g stiff shaft. With the right shaft, I definitely think this could find its way in to my bag.

One of the drivers that stood out most to me this past weekend was the TM AeroBurner.

I'll be blunt, I wasnt expecting much from this one...at all. I've played every TM driver over the past 5 or so years, and have been a HUGE fan..until recent releases. I had a love hate relationship with the SLDR and the SLDR S, but managed to play it well for a good bit of time until I finally just decided to move to something that didnt exhaust me from forcing myself to play it every round.

At first glance, the Aeroburner is a step back from their past few releases. "Throwback" to the days of the solid white R11 driver that turned heads on the course, the Aeroburner has pretty much that solid white matte finish that, really, in my opinion, started the revolution of driver design, be it colors or graphics. If you were a fan of the original R11, the Aeroburner is a nice homecoming to TaylorMade in a way.

Aesthetics are nice, performance is what matters. Well, I wasnt expecting much from this one. But, put it to the test is what I was on the course to do. Stepping up to the tee was not a problem looking down at the stark white crown of the AeroBurner. No glare, and just set up perfect at the ball. Typical TM shape on this from releases prior to the SLDR and the R1, face is not as deep, and just that lovable "burner" head shape.

Results? Let's talk about that. My first tee shot was just about dead perfect. Nice ball flight, with that fade that I tend to play a good bit. Distance was right there with what I expect from my tee balls, sitting out there in the 240-250 yard range. What I noticed was this, gone was the lower ball flight, lower spin, and the face seemed to provide a bit more forgiveness laterally than the SLDR I have most recently gamed. Like I said earlier, this driver really seemed like a "throwback" to years ago in TM offerings. Best way I can compare it is to take the style and look of the R11 driver and pair it up with the old Burner lines and mesh them together. Lighter weight in hand, solid feel through the swing, and a solid result that just landed dead center of the fairway.

I went back to this driver a few times during the round, as I really felt that I could get a predictable result each time I pulled it. Interestingly enough, on a hole that presented danger all down the left side in the form of a massive water hazard, I was absolutely comfortable taking dead aim down the left side at the water, and know that it would fade back and leave me dead center of the fairway...which it did and left me in perfect position to hit my 2nd shot. The reason I want to highlight this, was because, while playing the SLDR, I often feared the unknown miss off the center of the face and what kind of result it would bring me. My fade is predictable, perhaps the most predictable shot I have. Playing the SLDR, missing off center would result in a HUGE miss left and something that I just could not turn back over the right. The Aeroburner seemed to bring me back that forgiveness on lateral misses, and I really felt that the result I would see would be predictable and repeatable.

I would not think twice about putting this in the bag and playing it with confidence.

Hmm a higher launching forgiving TM driver...color me intrigued for the first time in a long time

Good review. Except one thing. I saw where your tee ball landed on the 1st hole. It was further than that. :D

AeroBurner, producing #BeagsBombs proudly since 2015.

I've been playing a bit with the TP version with a UST VTS Red, it's a surprisingly good driver. It is extremely reliable for it's accuracy. The two most accurate drivers I've hit this year have been 2 I had zero expectations for, the Aeroburner and the Nike Vapor Speed.

I just struggle with the white, always have and always will. For me, the crown is just a bit much with the raised ridge section down the middle and then the dimples on the outsides of that. That said, I've gamed busier, and I'm just glad its not JetSpeed 2.0.

I actually dig the raised center channel now. For some reason it provide a bit of confidence.

Best way I can compare it is to take the style and look of the R11 driver and pair it up with the old Burner lines and mesh them together. Lighter weight in hand, solid feel through the swing, and a solid result that just landed dead center of the fairway.

Great analysis. To me, its like the original Superfast and the R11 had an illegitimate love child and the result was better then the sum of the parts.

I actually dig the raised center channel now. For some reason it provide a bit of confidence.

You also love the G30 sound. Your point is moot sir. :alien:

You also love the G30 sound. Your point is moot sir. :alien:

The G30 sounds like a cannon. Are you saying your a pacifist? Why don't you support our troops?

It really was impressive.

Watching Freddie murder this one was pretty freaking impressive too.

The G30 sounds like a cannon. Are you saying your a pacifist? Why don't you support our troops?

Obamacare won't let me.

It really was impressive.

Watching Freddie murder this one was pretty freaking impressive too.

I want to hit it, because of YOU.

Seriously though, even though I'm not keen on the looks, its nice to have a desire to hit some TM metalwoods again.

I'll say it...

Perhaps the best I've hit from them since the SuperTri, and i was a pretty big fan of the R1.

Some won't like it, but the results don't lie for me.

I'll say it...

Perhaps the best I've hit from them since the SuperTri, and i was a pretty big fan of the R1.

Some won't like it, but the results don't lie for me.

Careful. You know the SuperTri is holy ground for me.

TaylorMade AeroBurner Driver Preview

Careful. You know the SuperTri is holy ground for me.

That's why I made the comparison.

Great launch, perhaps a bit less spin though.

Back