1st time regripping clubs

jim54

must be the shafts
Reaction score
Handicap
Got home yesterday afternoon and decided to regrip the clubs since the J15DF came with stock size grips instead of the stock +2 wraps I had asked for and the yellow GP grips are slippery to me.

I bought 13 midsize Sharpro Multi compound grips off the bay for $35 shipped and some grip tape, solvent and a rubber shaft clamping thing from Golfsmith for $28 shipped to me earlier this week.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy the procedure was with the old grip and tape removal taking longer than anything else. The rubber shaft clamp worked great in my bench vise holding the club nice and secure and square with no damage or marking on the shaft.

I went ahead and just cut off the grips since I had no intention of using them again, using the 3/4" tape I used the spiral method of taping putting 2 wraps under the lower half of the grip. They came out great and the whole thing took about an hour or so. (2 beers and a half a robusto).

The Sharpro grips felt great today on the course and we will see how the hold up, I did all 13 clubs so now the bag is the same all the way though for the 1st time in a while.

Having bought 2 rolls of tape and a quart of solvent, I can change them 2 more times at least for the $28 investment and it was a very relaxing project to do.

Doesn't it kind of make you mad for ever having paid someone to do the job?

yeah changing grips aren't bad after you do them a couple times. It's one thing that will defiantly save you some money next time.

Doesn't it kind of make you mad for ever having paid someone to do the job?

Yep, I got done and thought why haven't I been doing this all along. It was fun and I got exactly what I wanted and did not have to wait or pay for someone else to do it.
I am going to get a few sets of different types and colors and whenever I get the urge to change something (like clubs) I will just regrip and be happy.

Next you will be buying a tool to remove grips, an air compressor, a shaft puller, epoxy, ferrules, etc, etc....hahaha. I started regripping my own about 5 years ago and now have full service club tinkering equipment except a lie / loft machine. At about $3.00 a club to have someone adjust lie / left for me, it would take a loooooong time to see any positive cost / benefit on doing that myself.

A step by step tutorial woulda been great.

Next you will be buying a tool to remove grips, an air compressor, a shaft puller, epoxy, ferrules, etc, etc....hahaha. I started regripping my own about 5 years ago and now have full service club tinkering equipment except a lie / loft machine. At about $3.00 a club to have someone adjust lie / left for me, it would take a loooooong time to see any positive cost / benefit on doing that myself.

Scott, I am waiting out my current club guy. He is getting up there in age and I have already told him I will buy out his equipment when he retires (and he has everything all air power clamps and such) and maybe a 1,000 shafts of all types and makes including KBS, Aerotech and recoils. He is a stocking Tom Wishon and ALPHA dealer as well.

I have a compressor, but just did not want to listen to it since I was cutting them off anyway.

As he has told me do not get into it thinking you will make money, I just love Golf clubs of all kinds and having all the stuff to make them would be a blast.

Got home yesterday afternoon and decided to regrip the clubs since the J15DF came with stock size grips instead of the stock +2 wraps I had asked for and the yellow GP grips are slippery to me.

I bought 13 midsize Sharpro Multi compound grips off the bay for $35 shipped and some grip tape, solvent and a rubber shaft clamping thing from Golfsmith for $28 shipped to me earlier this week.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy the procedure was with the old grip and tape removal taking longer than anything else. The rubber shaft clamp worked great in my bench vise holding the club nice and secure and square with no damage or marking on the shaft.

I went ahead and just cut off the grips since I had no intention of using them again, using the 3/4" tape I used the spiral method of taping putting 2 wraps under the lower half of the grip. They came out great and the whole thing took about an hour or so. (2 beers and a half a robusto).

The Sharpro grips felt great today on the course and we will see how the hold up, I did all 13 clubs so now the bag is the same all the way though for the 1st time in a while.

Having bought 2 rolls of tape and a quart of solvent, I can change them 2 more times at least for the $28 investment and it was a very relaxing project to do.

It is easy. Just use a rounded tip knife made for cutting off grips and use a little heat next time on the existing tape, and removal is easy.

I love tinkering with everything, Sox Fan is right thought and you'll be doing everything else soon too.

I think there's a thread in the club building section that has instructions.

Really, it's very straight forward:

Put club in rubber shaft holder that fits in a vice.

Remove grip (cut or air) and old tape

Apply new tape

Douse new tape with solvent. (Pro tip: use a painters pan to catch the solvent for reuse)

Cover the hole in the bit end of new grip with a finger. Pour solvent into the grip. Put another finger in the open end of grip to deal bit. Rotate the grip back and forth to get the solvent all over the inside of the grip.

Pour solvent from the grip onto the tape.

Work the grip just onto the shaft. Push the grip down and into the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was really easy,

Clamp the club into the vise toe up (square to target line) using the rubber shaft clamping tool, This cost $2.98 and well worth $20.00 IMO

Cut off the old grip and peel all the old tape off, clean with solvent if needed for sticky residue.

There is (2) ways I know to reapply the tape, one being the spiral method where once you measure where the end of the grip (down the shaft) will be by holding it alongside the shaft (I made a little pencil mark about 1/2" from where the end of the grip would be). Then starting at an angle wrap the tape like a Barber pole from the clubhead end back towards the end on the shaft leaving 3/4 -1" extra over the end. This is two sided tape so you peel off the upper layer and stuff the extra remaining tape into the end of the shaft.

I applied a extra layer 1st from the clubhead end about halfway up the grip so I would get a larger grip under my right hand, but that is just personnel preference.

Then holding the grip upright and your finger over the hole in the end, put about a 1/2 ounce (I think, I just gave it a good squirt from the bottle) and shake it around to coat the inside of the grip, then holding the grip upright over the taped shaft take your finger off the hole and let the solvent complete soak the grip tape and I smoothed out and wrinkles in the tape at that time.

Then just push the new grip on aligning the small notch mark or logo with the centerline of the shafts, I then smoothed the grip down the shaft a bit and checked it was aligned like I wanted.

Done, grab another one and have at it.

The other method of taping is to use wider tape and put the strips lengthwise up the shaft, this seems like it would be easier but since I bought the 3/4" tape I had to use the spiral method.

This was my 1st time so I am sure I made some mistakes or could have done things a bit different. Wrapping the tape got a lot easier after doing a couple and seeing how the tape acted. There are many very experienced people on THP that can give you better advice than I.

Regripping has to be one of the easiest things to do and personally I like doing it. Glad you started yourself. Makes you a little mad you ever paid for it doesn't it. Interested to see how the grips hold up, never tried them but always had my eye on them.

Recently started doing this myself, and like you I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner. I got the wider tape, so didn't have to mess with the spiral method and it was a breeze. Don't know if I'll ever get full into shafts, as grips seems like a much cheaper investment, but it is nice having the confidence/freedom to do my own grip work.

Once I did it the first time I wondered why I paid for all those years but it is convenient to drop off your clubs and everything be done.

I just did my clubs for the first time (2nd time overall, just first with this set) and this was my first time not using a vice to hold the club. Was super nervous, but living in an apartment I don't have direct access to one without traveling to a friends house. Was actually super easy but I would advise to always use a vice.

Such an easy thing to do, and so worth it.

Every time I do it though, I find the worst part is cleaning the old tape off the shafts.

Just did all mine using air. Talk about easy. And I can blow them back off if needed.

I am currently playing around with different build up methods under my grips (I use the air compressor). 2 days ago I tried 3 layers of duct tape over painters tape on the lower hand. It was too heavy so I went 1 wrap on bottom, 2 wraps middle and I'm going to hit hem today. Got to love the air compressor for things like that?!

I've never used a vice and haven't had one issue with it. Gets a little messier sometimes, but I just hold the club over the sink, put the solvent on there, and then putt the grip as straight as possible and adjust as needed after it's on. Just need to have good grip pressure. I've regripped 4 sets of irons, a bunch of putters, and a good amount of woods with this method. I see no need to have the bench/vice set up unless you want to keep it cleaner.

Also equipment wise, I've only had to purchase 1 24oz or 36oz (can't remember exact size) bottle of solvent and 2 rolls of tape for all of that. So...under $20 or so for something that having GG do it for me would have cost well over $100-$150 and about 3 days worth of waiting each time.

I've never used a vice and haven't had one issue with it. Gets a little messier sometimes, but I just hold the club over the sink, put the solvent on there, and then putt the grip as straight as possible and adjust as needed after it's on. Just need to have good grip pressure. I've regripped 4 sets of irons, a bunch of putters, and a good amount of woods with this method. I see no need to have the bench/vice set up unless you want to keep it cleaner.

Also equipment wise, I've only had to purchase 1 24oz or 36oz (can't remember exact size) bottle of solvent and 2 rolls of tape for all of that. So...under $20 or so for something that having GG do it for me would have cost well over $100-$150 and about 3 days worth of waiting each time.

Same here. I actually have a spray bottle that I pour the solvent into and controls it better. I have an old towel/rag to use and that's all I need.

Quick update,
The Sharpro grips are working well so far with good feel in the hands, not soft like a UTx but not overly harsh/hard like a Z Grip or full cord. And not slippery at all when the hands get sweaty. If they last for the summer a good value.

Quick update,
The Sharpro grips are working well so far with good feel in the hands, not soft like a UTx but not overly harsh/hard like a Z Grip or full cord. And not slippery at all when the hands get sweaty. If they last for the summer a good value.
I also bought a 13 grip kit off the bay for like 50 bucks to try. I got them on and they do feel good for the price,I'm also hoping they last at least a summer.

Jim, did you ever play the Golf Pride multi compound? If so would you say there better moisture management or the same? That's the only reason I won't get rid of the corded Z grips. I loved the multi's but in the summer they were just too slippery.

So easy to regrip clubs at home and I have a garage which makes it even better. Will never pay for this service.

Jim, did you ever play the Golf Pride multi compound? If so would you say there better moisture management or the same? That's the only reason I won't get rid of the corded Z grips. I loved the multi's but in the summer they were just too slippery.

I actually had a couple on the set before just switching and so far these are better, but it might be just because they are new. I agree with our Summer conditions slippery is bad, I went away from the Z cords just because I sold the irons and did not need them in the winter. But that could change in another month or so.

Back