When you're in the zone, how long does it last?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I jumped out of the car, rolled a few putts, stretched and started my round today. I split the fairway, hit the middle of the green, 3 putted and was off to the races. My next mental error came on the par 5 18th, when I flared my drive right. I ended up making par but only had two mental errors the entire day. I hit the ball ok but scored really well. I was in a 'zone'. My playing competitors kept repeating it.

Today was fun and a long time coming. As far as I'm concerned my zone last for 17 holes. How long does your time in the 'zone' last!!!

I can keep a good putting game for a round but drives last 8-9 holes before a whoops appears out of nowhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never more than 9 holes for me!

One round. I know it when I wake up. I just have a feeling that it's going to be a good day. It lasts the full round and is gone the next morning.

Would say it goes all over the place. There have been times where I did it for all 18 and they resulted in my only 4 scores under 80. Then there are times where it is for 5 or 6 holes or 12 and then is gone for a month.

Unfortunately it's usually only 4-5 holes at a time. I'll usually have a little mental lapse and then kick it back in to gear.

It can last quite awhile. One year i got in the zone for about 15 holes.

Long breaks/delays will take me out of the zone pretty quick.

~Rock

When I was in the zone during summer 2015 I would stay in it for most of the round with maybe 1-2 mental mistakes.

If I'm playing regularly I've had a hot streak or zone last a few rounds. My putting especially was what felt like I was automatic and couldn't miss

I would say no more than 8 holes then a blow up hole is required by law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I find myself in "The Zone" it's usually just for that round. I don't think it's carried over until the next time I played. I'd love to find that feeling and put it in a bottle!

The 'Zone' is a weird thing, you don't realize you're there until well into it. At least that how is works for me.

12 holes - it's usually about 3 holes into the turn that I realize I'm in the zone and then the rush makes me hook one off the tee and the zone is over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My father used to say to me when I would get in the "zone" as a kid ... "It's just a walk in the park." But as I've gotten older, more & more out of shape, my zone will only last about 14 - 15 holes. Then I start to get tired and lose interest. Just like yesterday. Had a great round going, hitting greens & fairways, was -2 on the back after 15 but proceeded to bogie the last 3 holes. One hole was a mental lapse on the green with a 3-putt, but the other 2 were lazy, tired swings, not coming through the shot.

Typically about 10 - 12 holes then I will make an unforced mental or physical error to snap me back to reality. I have recovered from the unforced error and re-entered the zone in the same round.

Probably 8 or 9 holes, once I get dialed in I am able to block out a bunch of mental things and go deep inside, it usually happens on the back 9

Doesn't happen enough for me but I can usually string a good 9 together once in a while. It's usually a mental error that derails me.

My time "in the zone" usually lasts right up to the point I realize I'm there...then it all falls apart.

Not including my best rounds, where I felt good the entire time, I would say 5-6 holes is the average stretch of good things from tee to cup.

Not including my best rounds, where I felt good the entire time, I would say 5-6 holes is the average stretch of good things from tee to cup.

What is it that breaks up the solid play?

I get to a point where my confidence is sky high at times and I can be in the zone for several rounds in a row. It's a fragile line though, a small hiccup in that confidence can wreck that zone quick!

Otherwise on the course like you're talking about my zone will carry me for around 8 to 10 holes throughout a round. Sometimes a little longer, but really never any shorter than that. Once I get some confidence I can usually rattle off some good golf for a while. Now if only I could sustain that confidence every time I tee it up!

However long it takes to walk from the range to the first tee...

I'd say up to 9 holes. Usually broken up by a bad tee shot.

I would say less than 9 holes before things go sideways. It's been a long while since I've been in the zone.

It's usually about 7 or 8 holes, usually starts off the first or second, and then around the turn I need to try and refocus myself!

Back