Who else prefers long irons over hybrids

greg19

Reaction score
Handicap
Growing!
Try as I might I just cannot hit a hybrid as consistently as a 3 and 4 iron. I love my Ben Hogan VKTR hybrid but for me it's a 1 trick pony that basically comes out on 160 par 3 tee shots. Off the deck in the fairway I probably have a 60% success rate with it. I have much better contact more consistency with a long iron. Which do you prefer?

Not me. My bag stops at the 6i and after that my woods (hybrids and fairways) take over.

Not me. My bag stops at the 6i and after that my woods (hybrids and fairways) take over.

Same wirh me! My 3/4/5h are the most consistent clubs in the bag

I like a 4i but I have no intentions of touching a regular 3i but the thought of a utility iron is there but giving up the forgiveness and ease of use in my current hybrid squashes it.

Absolutely not. Hybrids do everything for me so well. Higher, longer, more consistently, and more accurately than my 4i.

I don't game a 3 iron, but I won't be yanking the 4 or 5 iron from the bag any time soon. There's no better feeling in the world than ripping a 4 iron from 210 and having it do exactly what I want it to do.

I should be gaming a 4 hybrid but I'm just not consistent with them. Strongly prefer a 4 iron in that spot

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Great question. I carry a 4 iron but have contemplated going to a hybrid setup. I have honestly never really tried one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For some reason I can't give up my 4 iron. It's probably stubbornness but I enjoy using it.

I love my long irons. They're not going anywhere.

I like an iron in the 4 spot and a hybrid to fill the gap between the fairway wood. I get better control from the iron, it makes me want to try a hybrid at iron length with an iron shaft.

I will gladly trade in my long irons. I find I really try to go at it harder when I have a 4 or even a 5 in my hands. When I have a hybrid, I just trust it and it does work.

I'm in that group. I can't hit a hybrid to save my life. I only have slightly better luck trying to hit my 3w. I go irons all the way down to 4i, or at least I did before the head snapped off last season. My longest club now is my 5i that I can hit reliably.

I carry a 3H in the place of a 3I but long irons from there on down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love my 4 iron and prefer to hit it almost always instead of the hybrid.

I carry a 4 iron and love it, then go to 4W, 3W and driver. No hybrids for me.

Irons all the way up to the FW

i love my irons, i have a 3i that came with my set, and i grabbed my dads 2i and i love hitting them both, but it all depends on the shot i have to make with the club, but i don't have any hybrids in my bag, just a 3w!

For me it's like I can hit a long iron but I can also HIT a hybrid....better distance and forgiveness with my VKTR.

I prefer hybrids but I was a relatively slow convert, although I kept trying. From the early Rescues to the Kasco K2K, nothing worked.

Until the Cleveland Mashie, nothing was consistent enough and I trusted my irons more. Since, I've only tried the 2nd generation Mashie and Wilson Fybrids. 2-gen Mashies didn't work, Fybrids did but they lacked versatility, a bit too similar to FW perhaps.

Maybe it's just the steel shafts in my hybrids, I don't know, but they're soooo much easier to hit for me than long irons.

Cant hit hybrids so when I did my GD bag, took them out of the equation. Long irons, and 3,5,7 woods.

My set stops at 5 iron. I feel more confident over my hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Can't hit a hybrid to save my life. My 4 iron and my 2iron are key for me

Never tried hybrids, my bag goes from 4i to 5W, 3W

I have never really tried to hit a hybrid. I carry a 4i and have thought about getting a driving iron to go with 3 and 5 wood. I feel way more comfortable hitting my long irons.

Back