Can You Over Compress A Ball?

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
We hear a lot about properly compressing a ball but can you over compress it and loose distance and performance?

I'm going to say no. Will low compression work for everyone? Probably not. But I do not think a ball can be over compressed. Heck it wasn't long ago the Lady Precept got played on tour. Sure it was only 1 player, but if a PGA Pro can't over compress a ladies golf ball, that's all I need to know.

I'm going to say no. Will low compression work for everyone? Probably not. But I do not think a ball can be over compressed. Heck it wasn't long ago the Lady Precept got played on tour. Sure it was only 1 player, but if a PGA Pro can't over compress a ladies golf ball, that's all I need to know.

Who was that?

I'm going to say that yes, you can over compress a golf ball. I have zero data or expertise to actually back that claim up though.

Can a person? Not sure. I would have to think if you can under compress a ball, it can also be over compressed. But I don't know if it would be way higher than what someone could do with a golf club.

I agree with Ddec. I don't think it can be over compressed but to much compression could be detrimental for some golfers.

Yes, you can. Low compression balls are not designed for high swing speeds. The site I visited mentioned excessive spin and control problems.

I sure as hell cant! :D

I agree with Ddec. I don't think it can be over compressed but to much compression could be detrimental for some golfers.

Wouldn't that be the definition of "Over Compressing a golf ball"? The point where the amount of compression is detrimental?

Yes, you can. Low compression balls are not designed for high swing speeds. The site I visited mentioned excessive spin and control problems.

it's on the internet it must be true right:alien:
honestly, I think that's why ball fitting is important and relatively under thought.

Wouldn't that be the definition of "Over Compressing a golf ball"? The point where the amount of compression is detrimental?

I'm not emart, we only impersonate each other on Thursdays. But I think what he is saying is more about control/consistency and spin. I think the reason you see the pro's use a ball that is a bit higher compression than most of us, is because they want to know exactly how it's going to perform the split second that it's hit. I honestly don't think they are over compressing the golf ball, but more looking for that specific reaction. The long running joke around here is over puring a golf shot. Can you over pure a shot? Not really, it's either pured or it's not.

I would say yes, if you compress the ball too much and it decreases performance then you are over compressing the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think if you can under compress you would be able to over compress. Would be interested to see some sort of data. I have no idea what data would be fit to prove it right or wrong.

I would think if you can under compress you would be able to over compress. Would be interested to see some sort of data. I have no idea what data would be fit to prove it right or wrong.
If I can remember next week I'm going to ask around. I'm genuinely curious.

I guarantee that it is possible... probably not humanly possible though... at what point does the ball explode?

If I can remember next week I'm going to ask around. I'm genuinely curious.

That would be cool. Curious to hear what the experts have say.

Last edited:
I guarantee that it is possible... probably not humanly possible though... at what point does the ball explode?
When it gets rallo'd hard.

I use a 55 compression Callaway Superhot 55 ball and love it. Driver SS is 108 and I blast the thing! My be placebo effect but I'm keeping the ball in play more and around the green it's butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that it is possible, isn't that deforming the golf ball? Not sure what type of force it would take, but I am sure that the ball could be deformed to the point that it loses flight characteristics.

Anyway, I will wait to read what ddec finds out next week as he will talk to smart people who know things not some idiot on a golf forum (talking about myself in this case).

Considering different balls are marketed based on the swing speed of the golfer, I will say yes.
I would like to see what happens to a senior or ladies ball when hit by one of the long drive competitors.

Yes. :alien:

I would think that it is possible, isn't that deforming the golf ball? Not sure what type of force it would take, but I am sure that the ball could be deformed to the point that it loses flight characteristics.

Anyway, I will wait to read what ddec finds out next week as he will talk to smart people who know things not some idiot on a golf forum (talking about myself in this case).

When you hit a ball it already goes from round to oblong. Not sure how much more deformed you can get.

I don't know, but I know I hit most softer balls higher and 5-10 yards shorter than my preferred style ball (TP X, Pro V1x, B330, or similar).

Back