sposey013168

Reaction score
Handicap
I was just reading the thread that asked if you could change one thing in the game it would be........
Many people said better pace of play. I think most THP'ers say they want better pace of play hence most on THP do not think they are slow. My question is then why are most THP events behind the normal course pace of play (I remember josh getting phone calls from the club house about this at INDY)
I do not mind when a THP event has slower pace of play, It is nice conversing with your new playing partners and such. But since most THP'ers think they play fast why does the pace become an issue, you can converse and have a good time at a decent pace of play.
So how can most THP'ers think they are not slow yet events do have pace problems at times?????

I would blame the beer cart girls !

I was just reading the thread that asked if you could change one thing in the game it would be........
Many people said better pace of play. I think most THP'ers say they want better pace of play hence most on THP do not think they are slow. My question is then why are most THP events behind the normal course pace of play (I remember josh getting phone calls from the club house about this at INDY)
I do not mind when a THP event has slower pace of play, It is nice conversing with your new playing partners and such. But since most THP'ers think they play fast why does the pace become an issue, you can converse and have a good time at a decent pace of play.
So how can most THP'ers think they are not slow yet events do have pace problems at times?????

Part of it is competition. Competitive rounds always take longer as people are evaluating shots and taking more time on the greens. In my experience a lot of it is that you are playing a round with people you aren't sure when or if you will ever play with them again. So the social interaction is more important than your buddies that you play with every weekend.

That said, we (and I mean collectively all THPers that get into events) have to make a cognitive effort to improve pace of play. For the courses and experiences we get, we can't have THP get a bad rep or JB/MD448675309/Morgan getting hassled. There is plenty of time in a 4 1/2 hour round of golf (most standard times) to socialize with your playing partners.

No one who plays slow thinks they play slow. Similar to how no one cruising in the left lane of the freeway believes they are the issue.

All it takes is one group as well. if one group near the front is slow, then everyone behind them is stuck.

In my opinion, as people play courses they aren't familiar with, it takes them longer to figure out what they want to do club wise and directionally. The unfamiliarity can also lead to worse scoring (i.e. more shots). Add in competition and the more stringent rule following than normal play. I don't think it is one single issue....and no one will admit they are slow on a normal basis.

There are tons of people who golf and then have plans to be somewhere else afterwards. When you are at a THP event you want to savor the outing and aren't in a rush to get somewhere after the round. They know they are slower but it doesn't matter. It's part of the experience.

Competition can bring out longer times walking around the greens.
New courses bring this as well.
Plus the social element
Different types of formats should speed that up, but often times can bog down a hole or two.
I think last year sped up tremendously at some events.

I also don't honestly think people realize the amount of time they take. It happens, and in the end, as long as everybody has fine, the course works with us, we are cool with it.

My one wish is that when people are asked to pick up the pace, they don't blow it off as "its not me". We wouldn't ask if there was not an issue or we were not being asked. Just give a putt here or there, or if you are multiple holes behind, concede a hole if necessary. We hate having to play the bad guys, every now and then.

Part of it is competition. Competitive rounds always take longer as people are evaluating shots and taking more time on the greens. In my experience a lot of it is that you are playing a round with people you aren't sure when or if you will ever play with them again. So the social interaction is more important than your buddies that you play with every weekend.

That said, we (and I mean collectively all THPers that get into events) have to make a cognitive effort to improve pace of play. For the courses and experiences we get, we can't have THP get a bad rep or JB/MD448675309/Morgan getting hassled. There is plenty of time in a 4 1/2 hour round of golf (most standard times) to socialize with your playing partners.

I will disagree on the competition part. I play in mostly money games (that is the greatest competition) and pace is fine.

I think its more what Donne said, its new courses and things like that.

Competition can bring out longer times walking around the greens.
New courses bring this as well.
Plus the social element
Different types of formats should speed that up, but often times can bog down a hole or two.
I think last year sped up tremendously at some events.

I also don't honestly think people realize the amount of time they take. It happens, and in the end, as long as everybody has fine, the course works with us, we are cool with it.

My one wish is that when people are asked to pick up the pace, they don't blow it off as "its not me". We wouldn't ask if there was not an issue or we were not being asked. Just give a putt here or there, or if you are multiple holes behind, concede a hole if necessary. We hate having to play the bad guys, every now and then.

You could have me ride around in a napolean suit and be called the little general and enforce those things haha

You could have me ride around in a napolean suit and be called the little general and enforce those things haha

At the end of the day, we just want people to have the time of their lives. Sometimes we have to enforce, because the course is enforcing on us or we are falling way behind, but when you read things like "What is your favorite golf memory" and THP Events are all over answers, it means something is working. :D

Still will work to make the impossible, possible for everyday golfers.

This is a very good and valid point Shane. The rounds I have played in THP events typically last 1 - 2 hours longer than my typical rounds at my home course. But, it does not feel like it. Everybody is enjoying themselves and the company of others and time just flies without realizing it. Another element that could possibly factor into this is most times you are away from home so don't have family pressures / obligations you need to meet after playing.

At the end of the day, we just want people to have the time of their lives. Sometimes we have to enforce, because the course is enforcing on us or we are falling way behind, but when you read things like "What is your favorite golf memory" and THP Events are all over answers, it means something is working. :D

Still will work to make the impossible, possible for everyday golfers.

I agree 100 percent, I just thought that the idea of me dressed up as napolean might make you laugh :D

In my opinion, as people play courses they aren't familiar with, it takes them longer to figure out what they want to do club wise and directionally. The unfamiliarity can also lead to worse scoring (i.e. more shots). Add in competition and the more stringent rule following than normal play. I don't think it is one single issue....and no one will admit they are slow on a normal basis.

I agree with this 100% that playing a new Course and the added excitement of a Competition tends to slow me down (and add to the score for sure), but then in every Event I have played we were not terrible slow (so I think) and always seemed to be close to the group ahead. Add to that we were playing resort courses that had groups in front of us slowing things down. Overall it is something to keep in mind and work on.

I will disagree on the competition part. I play in mostly money games (that is the greatest competition) and pace is fine.

I have to disagree. I think competition definitely plays a part. Partners reading each other's putts, not wanting to give up on a lost ball, taking the full time to find it, playing by the rules 100%, not taking a "max" score and picking up because your opponent might be struggling on the same hole. Tons of variables that competition brings into play.

I have to disagree. I think competition definitely plays a part. Partners reading each other's putts, not wanting to give up on a lost ball, taking the full time to find it, playing by the rules 100%, not taking a "max" score and picking up because your opponent might be struggling on the same hole. Tons of variables that competition brings into play.

Why I said I disagree is, in my normal weekend game we play by all the rules and we are about 3 hours 45 minutes on average per 4 some. Now we know the course and that does make a big difference. I think not knowing the course plays in to it a lot, esp ifs a course with a lot of blind shots and things like that

Why I said I disagree is, in my normal weekend game we play by all the rules and we are about 3 hours 45 minutes on average per 4 some. Now we know the course and that does make a big difference. I think not knowing the course plays in to it a lot, esp ifs a course with a lot of blind shots and things like that

Team format?
I think people underestimate how long they spend talking each shot over with their teammate.

Team format?
I think people underestimate how long they spend talking each shot over with their teammate.

Good point. Not related to THP but we all know how painfully long 4 man scrambles can be. Which makes no sense except for the fact that everyone wants to read everyshot for everyone

We do too, but how often in your rounds at your home course are you helping to read putts for your partners or talking through shots with them? That seems to happen a lot at the few THP events I've been to, and almost never happens during rounds at my home course. That stuff definitely adds up, especially on the greens. I think varying ability levels also affects pace of play. The stronger player may want to offer his opinion on reads, or be asked to do so by a weaker player.

Also agree that a new course definitely affects it as well.

The courses that THP picks tend to be destination courses and as such are not the normal type of courses we play on a weekly basis. I can fly through a round at my own course because even with a miss I know exactly where my ball should be and can estimate distance and conditions. Playing an unfamiliar track that is likely harder based on design plays into it.

Pace of play seems to improve when expectations are set up front. (Like when everyone knows you need to get 36 in). Cart Path Only and weather can be absolutely brutal for Pace of Play. But there are a lot of folks, people that I will absolutely travel to play golf with, that are just slower players.

I do find that when you are on a slower pace and mention that we need to pick up the pace people always look at the hole behind them versus the empty holes in front...

to op- this is pretty much the main thing that makes me shake my head about every pace of play thread. everyone around here says how fast they are, yet pace is always an issue at events.

i am NOT fast. but i didn't know i was slow until someone finally told me. it's honestly what i think is going on around here. very few people (myself included) are self aware enough to recognize this before told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we still get Shane to dress up...please? I'll bring the potatoes and mixer.

Team format?

I see this being a major factor. In the events I've played there's definitely some discussion over who's going to play aggressive, who's conservative. Or player 1's shot came up short, player 2 adjusts clubs. Or player 1 went OB off the tee, player 2 changes the game plan accordingly. Finally green reading adds to the time again. It's definitely not 4 individuals playing ready golf.

I am talking tournament competition. I play skins with my buddies every weekend, but most people (myself included) when you have legitimate competition play slower.

Back