Why Do Pros Prefer Shorter Blade Length in Their Irons?

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
Most reviews of players irons mention that they have the shorter blade length preferred by pros. Does this make them more workable or is it just a visual preference thing?

I've often wondered why we don't see more itons like the Bridgestone DPFs with a longer blade.

This is just conjecture on my part. Their ball striking is so pure they don't need the forgiveness heel to toe as they are hitting the ball on the center of the clubface. A shorter heel to toe dimension would concentrate more of the mass behind the ball.

A compact head makes it easier to shape shots and is more versatile. When clubheads get bigger/longer they usually are more forgiving, but less versatile.

Because that's what they're used to.

They prefer the amount of weight to be concentrated directly behind the sweet spot. They don't need excess toe or heel length

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm certainly not a pro but I like the looks better of a more compact head. The manufactures have done an amazing job of making a cavity back forgiving head that looks nearly identical at address to a 1975 Wilson Staff blade.

My mindset is smaller area to miss with, certainly not do too skill level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back