Garage door opening issues

teamacacia

Reaction score
Handicap
Figure someone might have had this issue before...The wife and I recently moved homes and have always used the built in garage door opener on the rear view mirror in our vehicles with no issue in the old place. The new house is newer, only a couple years old now but I have all sorts of issues with the garage doors responding to the signal. Sometimes the door will open three houses away, and sometimes it won't even respond if I'm pulled up right in front of the darn thing. Any ideas?

P.S. The old house is only like 6 yr old, so the hardware isn't drastically different between the two homes.

I know the newer systems have rolling codes. It took a few tries for me on my new house to get it to accept it and work correctly. I would follow your car manual (or go look at messages boards for your car/garage door system) and see if you see anything there.

I know that on our Honda and Acura vehicles the car manual was not quite accurate on how to program them correctly. I found better information on a message board.

Google this with make of car and garage door opener.
Someone has had this problem before and has a fix.
The computer is the best and most frequently used tool I have.

Google this with make of car and garage door opener.
Someone has had this problem before and has a fix.
The computer is the best and most frequently used tool I have.
^^^ This ^^^

I know the newer systems have rolling codes. It took a few tries for me on my new house to get it to accept it and work correctly. I would follow your car manual (or go look at messages boards for your car/garage door system) and see if you see anything there.

I know that on our Honda and Acura vehicles the car manual was not quite accurate on how to program them correctly. I found better information on a message board.

Our last house we had an issue where the garage door opener would open a neighbor's house 4 doors down. The guy would flip out and you couldn't have a reasonable dialogue with him. Tried to explain rolling codes and he didn't want to hear anything about it. The next day he had someone out installing a new garage door opener.

There is often a "learn" button on the new openers that works in conjunction with these systems. My Toyota and Honda weren't too tough to program.

ALWAYS wipe out the code on your garage door buttons if you sell/trade in your car. (y)

Back