The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sitting here thinking about the spine tilt with my driver that clicked yesterday, Freddie has only been trying to get me to do that for 3 years. Hahha

I was sitting here thinking about the spine tilt with my driver that clicked yesterday, Freddie has only been trying to get me to do that for 3 years. Hahha
U and me both I have to make a really conscious effort to do it and I never remember to

I'm going to concentrate on some putting, wedges and chipping next week. On the recommendation of my instructor, I'm working on low running chips instead of using higher lofted wedges and so far it has paid off. I just need to get a bit better with judging distances on those shots. I get them going on the line I want, but I tend to leave them short. If I can be a little more aggressive, it could really yield some nice scoring.

I've been working a lot on takeaway and the length of my backswing. A good solid pivot into my right side and some width. Took a look at some video over the weekend and it looked really good. Like as good as it's ever looked.

However, I was doing a frame by frame viewing and it's crazy to see the point where everything goes haywire though. I'm all loaded up and it's like I just tip over toward the target, cast the club, and get all early extended. I can time it pretty well most days, but what a waste all that good energy I have stored up. So... I need to work on transition and badly. Going to seek out some help for that and soon.

Is that not good?

Had a lesson last week focusing on only this. Helped me out tremendously! Here's the video from it

Is that not good?
I'd say I lose 10-15 yards a club based on swing speed and if my timing sucks I'm living with big hooks and a low point that varies, so I can miss heavy or thin based on luck of the draw. I manage it, but it makes the game harder for sure.

I'll post some stills later. It's nice to see the backswing looking better though. Easier to manage on day to day basis with less backswing.

Each range session I'm having lately I'm feeling a little better about my driving. I was hitting moon balls with the ZL Encore today, but the dispersion was really good. I was pretty surprised as I've never really been one to hit it that high, but lately both the ZL and my R11 I've been getting it up there really easily. Irons are feeling good as ever and I got my broken wedge fixed for free by the guy at the range. All in all a good session and feel like I'm on the right track with things.

Worked on my chipping and putting to clear my head today. Really going to dive into my short game again this year.

Did some carpet putting for the first time in a long time. Focused on a few things to get the season started.
1. Loosening up my grip at address. As I did this the late part of last year it really helped.
2. Keeling my head down and not peeking early.

Gotta get back to being automatic at 5 feet and especially important if it's going to take me awhile to get the rest of my game back up to speed.

Lesson today - 10 yd chip and pitch shots.
I think I have some things down, just gotta stop my sway and keep the club from getting too far open on my take away.

However, I was doing a frame by frame viewing and it's crazy to see the point where everything goes haywire though. I'm all loaded up and it's like I just tip over toward the target, cast the club, and get all early extended. I can time it pretty well most days, but what a waste all that good energy I have stored up. So... I need to work on transition and badly. Going to seek out some help for that and soon.

Hawk this was a huge issue for me that has taken lots for me to get rid of, a few things that helped me practicing barefoot, setting the club parallel to the ground and pointing at the target then taking it back and to the top slow so I can feel where I'm fully coiled and should stop vs that break over/tilt that robs consistency, taking the club to the top(slow)- pause -then downswing

Keep working and you'll get stopped at your full backswing vs artificially creating a longer swing

Man, the backswing is just so improved dude, but I'm still messed up with sequencing. My version of weight shift starts from the top. Then there is this split second where I just lean forward, and then uncoil. By then, I've got to stand up and flip it. Freddie praised my hand-eye-coordination for actually being able to hit the ball a year ago lol.

I get that there's no perfect, but the transition is one thing I'd really like to tackle this year.

Thanks dude it only took a yr :)

What do you mean but start at the top? Are you talking the extra length/tilt?

Doing the stop drill along with keeping my right hip from moving away and up(straightening of right leg) were my two keys to ridding myself and a billion reps.

Sounds like me dude a million adjustments to get back to the ball somedays consistent some days a train wreck.

Mine is getting back to impact by truly uncoiling :banghead:

Headed to the range to continue to work on swing changes. I'm hitting the ball more consistently than I have in a while - I can even hit a quarter or half wedge, which used to be a guaranteed shank for me. But man am I really slowing things down. Probably 5-10mph slower than I have been historically. But the good news is that my distances aren't down quite as much as the speed would have me think.

I know the distance will come as I get the swing down, but I need to remember that when I'm practicing or playing.

Mp remember better contact at slower speed will be as long if not longer than crap contact at a fast speed

Got in a session during lunch today. Working on swing changes still so I was kinda all over the place to start but ended the session hitting a more consistent draw, especially with my short irons.

Just need to keep working. When I've hit on the simulator during my lessons it shows that I'm getting more distance, but is difficult to tell at the range.

Got in a session during lunch today. Working on swing changes still so I was kinda all over the place to start but ended the session hitting a more consistent draw, especially with my short irons.

Just need to keep working. When I've hit on the simulator during my lessons it shows that I'm getting more distance, but is difficult to tell at the range.

Always nice getting in a lunch session. Good luck with the swing changes.

My range time this year is going to increase dramatically now that I have unlimited range balls and one of the best practice facilities in the area.

Was hoping to get a good start this week but the stupid snow ruined that. grrrrr. Can't wait to get out there and bring my game back to form again.

Thanks dude it only took a yr :)

What do you mean but start at the top? Are you talking the extra length/tilt?

Doing the stop drill along with keeping my right hip from moving away and up(straightening of right leg) were my two keys to ridding myself and a billion reps.

Sounds like me dude a million adjustments to get back to the ball somedays consistent some days a train wreck.

Mine is getting back to impact by truly uncoiling :banghead:

Imagine tipping a tower over. Top goes first. My weight shift seems to start with my head. Best description I can think of lol.

Imagine tipping a tower over. Top goes first. My weight shift seems to start with my head. Best description I can think of lol.

Gotcha

Step drill? Focus on weight transfer

One foot drill? To focus on shoulder turn and a quiet head, guaranteed you can't hit a ball well if your head moves all over. Only do half swings then work your way up you can't try to kill it.

Another thing that helped me is starting the down swing with my lower body and letting the upper come along for the ride.

Gotcha

Step drill? Focus on weight transfer

One foot drill? To focus on shoulder turn and a quiet head, guaranteed you can't hit a ball well if your head moves all over. Only do half swings then work your way up you can't try to kill it.

Another thing that helped me is starting the down swing with my lower body and letting the upper come along for the ride.

Step drill contributed to the problem is my theory. Or at least, doing the step drill wrong. You'd be amazed lol.

I'm going to try to get some professional help on it. It's just ingrained as all hell unfortunately. Like I said, I can manage it, but it sure would be nice to make things easier.

Step drill contributed to the problem is my theory. Or at least, doing the step drill wrong. You'd be amazed lol.

I'm going to try to get some professional help on it. It's just ingrained as all hell unfortunately. Like I said, I can manage it, but it sure would be nice to make things easier.

With as hard as you work your swing I don't think it'll take you too long to get rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back