Why haven't certain players broken through?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sitting here watching the Singapore Open and I'm puzzled how a star like Sergio hasn't broken through. I mean, my buddy Rich Beam won a major and then vanished. Shawn M did the same. Charl S won the masters and really hasn't contented since. Is it a little bit of luck? Is it mental? What holds solid player back from winning.

It's not just confined to majors. There are some incredible golfer on tour that have never won but hold cards, year in and year out. What do think it is?

For Sergio specifically he's openly talked about how he doesn't "need to" win a major. I find that crazy.

Sergio has a bunch of wins. Is "breaking through" winning a major?

i think sometimes guys get hot in the right tournaments. i watched shawn m at the barbasol a couple years ago, and his game was not great.

i'm not sure why charl hasn't done much else. gorgeous swing, has all the shots. maybe a cold putter?

sergio is a head scratcher too. maybe if he went to this pencil grip earlier he would have won more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone at Sergio's level, I'd say it's luck, and then mental. Mental in the fact that you need to deal with it when you don't have luck going your way instead of pulling the woe is me card.

For Sergio specifically he's openly talked about how he doesn't "need to" win a major. I find that crazy.

I think that is a little crazy too. I saw the kid break down in moms arm after loosing the Junior Orange Bowl. He wears his emotions on his sleeve so it's hard to believe that he does want it or 'need it'

I think that is a little crazy too. I saw the kid break down in moms arm after loosing the Junior Orange Bowl. He wears his emotions on his sleeve so it's hard to believe that he does want it or 'need it'

It may be his attempt at taking some of the pressure off and that would make sense. I'm not a fan of most Euro players but he's one I would love to see win the Masters

Sergio has a bunch of wins. Is "breaking through" winning a major?

I thought about that, he has had a solid career. But with his talent I never expected him not to be win. I mean I still think he a chance but I'm baffled he doesn't contend more.

I think some guys, who are solid players, just catch lightning in a bottle at very opportune times. Some do it more often than others (Sergio, even though it hasn't happened in a major).

I would put my money on mental being a good part. I think guys come on tour and as they try to figure out scheduling, practice time, travel, etc they may get overwhelmed then it takes them some time to get their head back and with the amount of talent on tour right now it's hard to crack that winning spot consistently.

There might be some who don't want the pressure and recognition that comes with being a major champ. Win some tourneys, finish top 25 or better and make a nice living along with sponsor money.

99.9 percent of us would give anything to have his career. Almost 30 professional wins, top 4's in every major, multiple Ryder Cup wins, etc... With all of that said, it baffles me that he hasn't sealed the deal in a major. I really hope it happens and think at this point it is strictly mental.

I thought about that, he has had a solid career. But with his talent I never expected him not to be win. I mean I still think he a chance but I'm baffled he doesn't contend more.
I think we all saw him contend and push Tiger way back at the PGA and heaped expectations onto him. We all thought Sergio would build on that, not be exactly that for his entire career. Maybe our expectations were too high.

I just think golf is really really hard. And at that level, it's even harder

I'm sitting here watching the Singapore Open and I'm puzzled how a star like Sergio hasn't broken through. I mean, my buddy Rich Beam won a major and then vanished. Shawn M did the same. Charl S won the masters and really hasn't contented since. Is it a little bit of luck? Is it mental? What holds solid player back from winning.

It's not just confined to majors. There are some incredible golfer on tour that have never won but hold cards, year in and year out. What do think it is?
I honestly think it's the money. You can be 107th best on the money list and still make a million bucks in a season. He showed you can have one top 10 and five top 25s each year (and you can miss 10 cuts in 27 events) and you can make a damn good living without having to push yourself to the next level. This was a guy named Robert Streb, we all know him, right?

Bad Luck is having to deal with Tiger during your prime years

You could say the same about Ricky Fowler. He is probably one of the top fan favorites on tour & is constantly hyped by the media...but he only has 3 wins in 6-7 years on tour :{

It may be his attempt at taking some of the pressure off and that would make sense. I'm not a fan of most Euro players but he's one I would love to see win the Masters

I'm kinda thinking that's it. No way a pro golfer doesn't want to win bad. I guess in a way, it's true he doesn't "need" to, but no way that's not #1 on his list at this point.

I dont know if Sergio thinks he can win a major. The guy has had a great career but if he doesn't think he can win one he never will. As for the rest, The fields are so strong now it has to be a low percentage to breal through.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I would imagine the answer would differ for each player, but I'm of the opinion a lot of it comes down to the mental game. A lot of people are talking about Sergio, and he's had a hell of career even without a major win IMO. He's fairly successful and has made plenty of money so perhaps the focus on winning a major is minimized. Personally I still think he'll win one regardless of what he's said.

Mental and better opponents

I'm not sure I understand what "break through" means in this context if Sergio Garcia hasn't broken through. Has Matt Kuchar? He "only" has 7 tour wins with no major, but has been in the top 20 since 2010. Bubba Watson hasn't been in the top 20 every season since 2010. Nor has Henrik Stenson, Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott, Justin Rose, or Zach Johnson.

at the tour pro level Id say its a matter of luck as for being your best at the exact right time.

Sergio isn't mentally strong enough. It's simple. Monty was the ultimate example of this. The guy dominated the European tour for nearly 10 years. He was in a different class to everyone else. He should easily have 4 or 5 majors to his name. Instead, another example of someone that couldn't handle the pressure of winning one of the titles that really define you.

It all seems to come down to who can (and who can't) sink putts in big situations... Lee Westwood is probably the best example of this, Sergio isn't as extreme IMO, but he has been known to forget his putter at majors

I always believed that Sergio could never slow his mind down enough in the later holes in the majors when he was in contention.

Jack and Tiger saw the hole and how to get there, while Sergio saw everything around him.

Back