2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same thing when I was still in, except at 5'5" I didn't make weight and had to be taped every time. When I went to ANCOC, I walked in to be taped already shirtlesd and the instructors asked WTF I was doing in there.

They rounded up today and said I was 5'6", only way I dodged tape. At 5'5" I'm only authorized 163#. Not that I'm worried much about tape. I just think it's funny that the Army thinks 165 pounds for a 65" tall person is overweight.

They rounded up today and said I was 5'6", only way I dodged tape. At 5'5" I'm only authorized 163#. Not that I'm worried much about tape. I just think it's funny that the Army thinks 165 pounds for a 65" tall person is overweight.

Are they using BMI or something? Given how many different shapes people come in, I'm not sure you can just pick a weight across the board. I do know some people that would probably be overweight at that height, but others definitely wouldn't. I'm 5'6" or so and it would be a struggle to get much below 160 for me I think.

Are they using BMI or something? Given how many different shapes people come in, I'm not sure you can just pick a weight across the board. I do know some people that would probably be overweight at that height, but others definitely wouldn't. I'm 5'6" or so and it would be a struggle to get much below 160 for me I think.

Yeah, it's close to BMI. If you're over on weight, then they use measurements of neck & waist to determine your "body composition." So no matter actual metrics of fitness (specifically a chest to waist ratio), it still comes down to whether you have a fat neck to determine if a soldier is out of tolerance for body composition.

Here's the chart: http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/army-weight-rules.html

I have a 16.5" neck and a 32" waist. I was never in any danger of busting tape, but the recommended weight for someone my height was like 135lbs. I don't think I could even get out of bed in the morning at 135.

Holy crap, I forgot how sweaty T25 made me. That workout is no joke, at least it's not for me at this stage of my physical fitness.

My wife has said "Christine's body is the one I want, and I'm going to get there".
Those workouts are definitely no joke. I especially hate the one where you start on your heels and then do the entire rest of the workout on your toes with your heels off the ground. Brutal calf killer.

Good luck with the rest of the series!

Holy crap, I forgot how sweaty T25 made me. That workout is no joke, at least it's not for me at this stage of my physical fitness.
Keep it up Morgan! Sweat is just weakness leaving the body.

Kinda surprised there. While I know I feel a lot better in that 150-155 range, I know if I had the muscle at 165 then those heavy packs would be a lot easier to carry.

Started eating a mostly paleo diet with a few cheat days here and there, no beer for over a month (although I doubt that will last) Just finished P90X and saw good results. Did P90X a few years back and the improved strength and flexibility transferred to the course nicely.

Skcats I did the no beer for a month and it was easier than I thought it would be and I've actually had only a couple in almost 2 months and the most was three in a nite.

Set your goal and do it

Stay with it and use the modifier, she still gets a good workout and you will work yourself into being able to do it without the modifier

This morning at my gym a couple of bros were curling WITH ELBOW SLEEVES in the squat rack next to me. After that they were on to lat-pull downs with wrist wraps...

I got my squats and pull ups in and went about my business.

Kinda surprised there. While I know I feel a lot better in that 150-155 range, I know if I had the muscle at 165 then those heavy packs would be a lot easier to carry.
I know I keep a bit more weight on because of my exercise choices outside of regular Army PT. I do a lot more squatting and deadlifts, and I do more of my runs in my free time with a weighted vest. There are probably units out there, especially special operations units, where this is the norm, but in my current duty station, we're just trying to get brand new soldiers trained up in their job skills and out to the force, preferably without any permanent injury. It does make me wonder what kids these days do for recess, because I see some impossibly uncoordinated 18 year olds come through my unit.

Stay with it and use the modifier, she still gets a good workout and you will work yourself into being able to do it without the modifier

I was doing this for a while about a year ago and killing it. No modifier needed. I have been working out regularly at the gym now for about a month, including working with a trainer 2 times a week so I thought I was getting into better physical condition. I wanted to shake up my routine a bit so I decided to do the T25 cardio today and damn it was a lot harder than I remember. I know I can get there, I was there before, just crazy to see how far I have fallen. But motivation to get back.

I think the T25 workout is the best at home DVD I have ever tried. It's hard, but motivating and it flat out works. Plus it's super quick, like he says everyone has 25 minutes to spare.

I know I keep a bit more weight on because of my exercise choices outside of regular Army PT. I do a lot more squatting and deadlifts, and I do more of my runs in my free time with a weighted vest. There are probably units out there, especially special operations units, where this is the norm, but in my current duty station, we're just trying to get brand new soldiers trained up in their job skills and out to the force, preferably without any permanent injury. It does make me wonder what kids these days do for recess, because I see some impossibly uncoordinated 18 year olds come through my unit.
You'd be surprised by the Special Ops community. I work around those guys everyday and most of their physical training is done before or after hours and they don't do standard PT. Crossfit is huge in the SF community as well. I never got into Crossfit, but my buddies who are still in group swear that it is the best thing to help them accomplish their missions physically. They come in with bloody hands from doing some of the exercises repetitively. They have tried to get me to go with them, but with my injuries Crossfit is asking for me to go to the hospital afterwards.

Crossfit and Paleo is all I hear about.

You'd be surprised by the Special Ops community. I work around those guys everyday and most of their physical training is done before or after hours and they don't do standard PT. Crossfit is huge in the SF community as well. I never got into Crossfit, but my buddies who are still in group swear that it is the best thing to help them accomplish their missions physically. They come in with bloody hands from doing some of the exercises repetitively. They have tried to get me to go with them, but with my injuries Crossfit is asking for me to go to the hospital afterwards.

Crossfit and Paleo is all I hear about.
I've got friends and family in the community, including some who used to be out in your neck of the woods, so I get some chances to hear about what they do for fun. To a certain extent I'm jealous, because while they're at home they get the time and opportunity to do the training they need to do for their job requirements. I'm lucky when I can find extra time to hit the gym. On the other hand, I'm not half the firebreather I used to be, especially after a few years in TRADOC. That stuff'd break me off these days! lol

I've got friends and family in the community, including some who used to be out in your neck of the woods, so I get some chances to hear about what they do for fun. To a certain extent I'm jealous, because while they're at home they get the time and opportunity to do the training they need to do for their job requirements. I'm lucky when I can find extra time to hit the gym. On the other hand, I'm not half the firebreather I used to be, especially after a few years in TRADOC. That stuff'd break me off these days! lol
Wait until you've been retired for 9 years and it's no longer a requirement.....

Deadlifts tonight along with some "pulling" exercises for back and biceps. Also tried jogging for a few minutes, I rolled my ankle last weekend in the golf simulator and have been struggling this week. I'm supposed to attempt a 5k on Sunday, should be interesting

Deadlifts tonight along with some "pulling" exercises for back and biceps. Also tried jogging for a few minutes, I rolled my ankle last weekend in the golf simulator and have been struggling this week. I'm supposed to attempt a 5k on Sunday, should be interesting
What sort of pulls are you working with?

I've been slacking a little this week and finally got into the gym today for the first time this week. I normally go during lunch and have had work commitments the past couple days. Today was even a short day, I had to get everything in pretty quickly because I got a late start.

10x10 bench
5x10 high cable flyes
10x10 tricep pull downs
5x10 overhead tricep extensions

I tend to do a lot of triceps in order to strengthen and support my bad elbow. It really seems to be making a difference in my recovery.

What sort of pulls are you working with?

Deadlift, one arm dumbbell rows, under hand pull ups, cable face pulls, straight bar curls, and dumbbell hammer curls.

I am well into my 2nd week of not going to the gym, and I hate it. Flu for the first week, laziness for the 2nd so far.

I need to break out of this funk.

Deadlift, one arm dumbbell rows, under hand pull ups, cable face pulls, straight bar curls, and dumbbell hammer curls.
I've got no critiques. Solid pull day

I've got no critiques. Solid pull day

It was a good one! My only concern was with the deadlift after rolling my ankle last weekend I went with lighter than normal and 1/2 the usual set as to not aggravate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back