What is your current equipment battle?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Could be a fun thread, its simple, what is the current or impending battle going on in your bag?

This could be a BUSY thread for some, especially this time of year!

The battle for me is always not going back to the i series irons. There's just something about that iron line for me.

I'm actually REALLY happy with my bag this year. But those i200s.

Been struggling with consistency off the tee with driver for waaaay longer than I'd like to admit so current battle is: GBB w/ Elements Helium vs GBB w/ Kuro Kage vs XR16 w/ Elements Helium. It is not a fun battle most of the time. :D

Upcoming battle: CF16 irons w/ Project X 5.5 vs CF16 black irons w/ Recoils

Driver...xr16 vs epic...vs F7
Thats it unless 565 irons randomly show up

Well. 3 wood is the oldest thing in my bag. But with all this epic talk, Ill be trying that out come spring, so my driver is at risk.

Irons and wedges are safe. Though irons may be next on the chopping block.

~Rock

F6+ vs XR16

Trackman session 1 proved nothing. Round 2 on Saturday.

putters...always.

And soon to be Bstone J15 CB vs Mizuno MP15.

• Staff
I've got Triton vs Epic vs Epic SZ all in 10.5 incoming by the end of the month for drivers, then its Epic vs Epic SZ in the 3W and GBB vs Epic in the Heavenwood. It's going to be wild.

Oh, also Fuji Green 72X vs Graphite Design TP-7.

Should be intense.

I'm definitely struggling with my irons. Just had my current Srixon I-506s extended . . . bad move on my part. Recently played a round with a set of Ping G30s and love them. I played Pings in the past and the lure is strong . . . Unfortunately the wallet is weak!!!

Could be a fun thread, its simple, what is the current or impending battle going on in your bag?

This could be a BUSY thread for some, especially this time of year!
Senior golfer slower swing, woods & hybrids are fine, but irons I play ping i15 regular steel, 6-PW, sometimes wonder if softer shaft would be better, feel like I can't swing smooth as would be too slow for shaft, but does that mean graphite only and equally I don't want a loss of control with high hooky pulls. Anyone had same dilemma? Or experience of ping's softer senior iron shaft? That's my battle...

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I still have the Heavenwood/2h/3i gap to figure out. I'm leaning towards the 2h since it has the added benefit of using it around the green.

I'll have two battles

Driver: fitting next month, most likely M1/2 vs. Epic vs. F7/F7+, vs. Titleist vs. whatever else!

Putter: Milled SX vs. Toulon vs. Rife?

4 hybrids......I need one that fills a gap in my bag and I just can't decide on one. Its come down to the XRSteelhead, f7, Big Bertha OS, and JPX900. Would like to try the new M2 and see if it might join the fight.

Irons hate to say. Thinking the specs might be off. Going for a driver fit on Monday and he'll check on the irons as well.

Currently playing the 2016 TM M2 Driver with the Fujikura Pro 50 Regular shaft & 10.5 deg head. I've never had a driver that felt so solid at impact with a good impact sound that also finds the fairway like it does. Been reading about how the 2017 TM M2 is better all around than the 2016 version. I can't believe that it would be another $400.00 better than what I currently use. I want to test the 17 M2 with the same shaft and 10.5 deg head to see the difference in numbers at Golf Galaxy between it and my 16 M2. By the same token, I'm afraid that what has been said and written about the 17 M2 being better than the 16 version might just be true. That's my equipment battle. I may just have to give the 17 version a go and see the difference if any.

My battle is with putters...I'm always tinkering with this club. Switching back-and-forth for no particular reason. I have been working hard to keep my hands off the putter in the bag...even after bad rounds.

Cobra LTD Pro (with chrome elements 7F4) vs 2016 M1 (with KK Silver Tini 60x).

When I was fitted at Miles of Golf Ann Arbor, M1 was the winner. But I loved the LTD Pro. Then I got bored and saw a great deal on TM Preowened and decided to give the M1 a go again. The day I was fitted my swing was horrible (go figure) and I was putting up solid #'s.

Might not be as sexy as some of the 2017 showdowns, but I can't wait for spring to get here.

Never ending putter battle. It will never end. I am always flipping putters for new ones.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Still searching for a 3 wood I trust. I think I'm going to try an experiment early this year and pick up a super forgiving high launching head, v series maybe, and then put a piece of rebar in it. If that doesn't work I might look for like a 1 iron or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only played two sets of irons for any significance for the past 13-14 years or so, so this is kind of a big deal for me.

Apex CF-16 5-PW w/Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts vs my long running Mizuno mixed set of MX-200 5 & 6 irons w/TFR 6.0 and 7-PW Rifle 6.0.

Was supposed to be a 3-way battle with a new set of MP-54 with KBS Tour stiff but the shafts just do not work for me at all. Ballooned into the wind yesterday and although decent distance and accuracy today, the ball flight is just way too high for my tastes. Love the feel, very solid, very predictable. Kicking myself for not opting for the C-tapers. But I usually hit a penetrating ball with irons, thought I was erring on the side of caution with the Tours. Live and learn...

Only two range sessions and off of mats at that as the grass portion is temporarily closed. But so far the CF-16s have pretty much dominated my own set. I've never before hit lightweight shafts in irons, let alone lightweight graphite, so I really didn't expect them to work so well for me. I just figured that the adjustment from my heavy steel shafts could prove too great. Not so.

I still have to hit them off grass to test turf interaction and play a few rounds but for the moment, I'm extremely optimistic.

Last edited:
Just one battle for me and it will be a slugfest.
2016 M2 vs Epic Sub Zero

Keep the 60* PM-grind in the bag or search for a new 5W? Or maybe a 3h? If I start playing longer courses more often I need some more option up top. The current WITB is fine for my home course though, moving parts...

Currently have the 915D2 and 915D3 set to square off in the spring. Played a few weeks ago and had some good shots with each, the D2 would have a Diamana D+70g Stiff, the D3 would either have the same, or an Aldaila Rogue X-Stiff

Putter battle, as always.

Mid Mallet vs. Full Mallet.

Back