Which would you play?

Club 1 please sir

I did. He plays a distance iron and plays professional golf, yet there multiple posts in this thread referring to the lack distance consistency from said type of irons. If we look at it as a model here, should we look at the professional golfer with a repeatable swing or an amateur golfer (majority of us here, including myself) who don't necessarily have the most consistent swings when looking if an iron produces consistent distances?

Thanks for the reply. If you read my post #77, I said that when "I" compared my Altitudes to my 962's, distance control was much better with the 962's. And personally speaking I like that. What I also like is the height I get with the Altitudes. I'm personally seeking an iron that combines those 2 aspects for myself. Hence the Ping G30's (with the weak lofts and high launch shafts) which I'm giving a go this spring. I never said that a distance iron is no good by any means, just that at this point in time it's not what I'm personally looking for. My apologies if I gave you that impression.

By way, I love Freddie Jacobson. Can't imagine anyone not liking him.

If you can get your gaps to transition right into your wedges, than great go with club#1. If not then you got some work to do.

Thanks for the reply. If you read my post #77, I said that when "I" compared my Altitudes to my 962's, distance control was much better with the 962's. And personally speaking I like that. What I also like is the height I get with the Altitudes. I'm personally seeking an iron that combines those 2 aspects for myself. Hence the Ping G30's (with the weak lofts and high launch shafts) which I'm giving a go this spring. I never said that a distance iron is no good by any means, just that at this point in time it's not what I'm personally looking for. My apologies if I gave you that impression.

By way, I love Freddie Jacobson. Can't imagine anyone not liking him.

No reason to apologize, it's all just good talk about the equipment and game we love. We all have different experiences and my post originally about Freddie was not pointed at anyone specifically.

Club 1 seems to have better properties, but I'm a novice at club specs and such. Are these two consecutive clubs from the same set?

Im more of a feel type of guy. I'll take whichever club feels better. I can always adjust to the distances and characteristics of the club.

Im more of a feel type of guy. I'll take whichever club feels better. I can always adjust to the distances and characteristics of the club.

I was exactly the same way until a few days ago when my XR Pro irons arrived. I've played forged muscle/cavity backs since 1980 and have been a "feel" player my entire life. My new irons don't "feel" nearly as good as any of my forged irons but they crush them in performance. They are stupid easy to hit straight and distance control is better than my forged irons because I lose very little distance on mishits. I'm hitting poor shots that wind up on the green - it's quite shocking after playing forged for 37 years. I made a birdie two days ago after hitting a thin 7 iron off the toe on a 174 yard par 3. I had no business being on the green after such poor contact but my ball was 15 feet from the flag. I feel like I'm cheating.

Club 1... Is there a catch coming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distance doesnt matter James, so poll is irrelevant.

Answering strictly at face-value of the question, definitely Club 1 for me.

For sure #1. Higher, farther... yes please!

Club 1 hands down!

What is funny is that there was just a thread and no one cared about distance with their iron but everyone wants the longer iron in this thread.

What is funny is that there was just a thread and no one cared about distance with their iron but everyone wants the longer iron in this thread.
No, I want the higher launching and lower spinning iron. Lower spinning shots generally stand up better against the wind, and higher apex generally means steeper angle of descent. Angle of descent has as much to do with holding a green as spin.

The problem wasn't that people are or aren't selecting a club based on distance. It's that a lot of people--not just on THP but the internet at large--hate, hate, the idea of a longer, stronger iron with superior launch and flight characteristics. There's a tendency to see static loft and length and presume that those are only the sorts of things you find on a "distance" iron. They reverse engineer the ideology from there that it's going to have terrible sound and feel, and that they will hate it. So then they do, not because the clubs are actually better or worse for their game, but because golfers are elitists. Look anywhere, especially on youtube, and check out what people have to say about, for example, Rick Shiels having his 13-index student review irons. "It's not a 6 iron, it's a 5 iron compared to the steak knife I use!" Seems like not a whole lot of folks out there want to grab hold of, not just forgiveness, which is limited and based largely only on a single type of miss, but superior launch.

This got a little ranty, but you're half right. Players want the club with the superior launch and flight characteristics. They get a club that also goes longer. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

I didn't read thru every post, but was a peak height for each club decided on in the thread?

Club 1 if it goes further i dont have to swing so hard to hit it as far as club 2 and by hitting it softer i impart less spin which means it will go straighter ie i will hit it more greens with it voila

" straight is great and long is not wrong"

Back