Comescrashing

Reaction score
Handicap
Terrible
My putting is just atrocious!! I'm taking on all suggestions to find what works for me. I could work on my swing more but what's the point if I can't get the ball into the hole? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My advice may be the worst advice ever! But I suggest changing putters every 3-4 rounds! I rotate between three putters I have and every time a change, my putting improves. Crazy I know . . .

I'd say work on starting the putt where you're aiming, and definitely work on speed. Putt from one side of a practise green and try and stop the ball as close to the opposite fringe as you can. Takes the pressure of trying to hole the putt out of the equation completely. Once you can putt on the line you choose to a decent length, should become much easier!

I say that, think I need to practise what I preach...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fallen in love with a little drill where you putt one handed while holding a ball against the putter shaft with the inside of your rear forearm. It forces you to control the putter face.

Dave Stockton's DVD about putting revolutionized my game. He doesn't say too much of anything I'd never heard before but his particular delivery just resonated with me.

I went from decent but streaky (including terrible bad streaks of course) to a good putter virtually overnight. Just seemed to unlock something in the 'ol brain, and helped me to get out of my own way. Been thankful for it ever since.

Last edited:
My putting is just atrocious!! I'm taking on all suggestions to find what works for me. I could work on my swing more but what's the point if I can't get the ball into the hole? Any help would be greatly appreciated

When my putting is bad, it's usually from not practicing the 3'-4' range putts.

I will go out and hit 2-3 hundred of them to get it back.

Always worked for the past 37 years.

When my putting is bad, it's usually from not practicing the 3'-4' range putts.

I will go out and hit 2-3 hundred of them to get it back.

Always worked for the past 37 years.
This was going to be my suggestion; work on those 3' putts, challenge yourself to make several in a row, straight and flat putts. If you can't make a straight 3 footer you'll be all over the place with everything else.

I keep my putting sharp by hitting one handed putts from 3, 6, 9 and 12 feet. It requires me to stay slow and steady and keep my head down. It's simple and easy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dave stockton unconscious putting. use your natural intuition. be less focused on technique and more focused on speed. never 3 putt. really helped me when i struggled in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't say what is wrong with your putting so start with the basics. Get a consistent setup then work on starting the ball online. Put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and roll the ball over the dime using various stroke lengths. Keep doing this until you can do it consistently

Moved to swing tips.

Worst case...you can go to Golf Galaxy and a take a 1/2 lesson with putter fitting.

Since I don't know how bad it really is, I'll give some things I used when learning. I'm a pretty good putter and self taught by reading and doing.
Stand with ball closer to front foot and weight favoring that foot. Leading eye straight over the ball and able to trace the intended line. Putter face perpendicular to intended line of travel. Grip and stance should promote a comfortable straight back and straight through. Front hand low might work for you.
I like to take about three practice swings while looking at the hole. Kinda like warming up for pitching pennies. For uphill, I look past the ball. For downhill, I look in front of the hole. This gives me a pretty good notion of how hard to hit. Then, swing for real moving the putter through the ball as though it isn't there.
Practice good methods and good luck!

Back