Vokey Wedge Fitting

clfergus

Reaction score
Handicap
I have had my driver now for years, a Ping G30 that was already being phased out and selling at 249.00 new. I was able to get fit for it and I love it. I saved up and purchased the Mizuno JPX irons and was fitted for those as well at 1/2 inch long with standard upright.

My irons did not come with a SW and LW as an option so I have been looking for new wedges. I tried the Mizuno JPX wedges that do not match the set and they just felt clunky around the green. I saw a special on golfdiscount.com for closeout Vokey SM4 oil can wedges so I picked up the 54.11 and 58.12 in the M grind. I am a digger to some degree and I read that the SM4 M grind is comparable to the S grind in the SM6.

I don't have the budget to go and get fitted for SM6 wedges and pay 149.00 dollars for each new so the new closeout SM4 will work great for me I believe. I played the old 200 series and loved them.

My question is the length. Since my irons play 1/2 inch should I mess with installing inserts or just leave them. I feel like I was told that when you get into a 54 and 58 that upright and length don't matter as much if you are fairly close to standard. If you are like 4 degrees upright and 1 inch + you might want to look into making your wedges match.

Should I just play the wedges as factory with my standard/0.5 inch length specs? I guess I am really wondering from full fairway shots than chipping.

Thanks.

FWIW I'm in no way an expert but I think you are probably right that the 1/2" wont matter too much on your SW or LW. I never swing my wedges full out so to me they are more about getting confident in 'feeling' out the distance and trajectory I hope to hit each shot. I think once you are used to a SW or LW you kind of just instinctively choke up and down the shaft anyway, without really thinking about it, and sense the shot you are hoping to play. Nice wedges, I think they'll play well for you. And welcome to THP!!!

edit: I reread OP and see it's the full fairway shots you sought advice on so I'm really probably under equipped to offer great advice. If I'm spot on a full SW distance in the FW I'll rarely hit it because I have zero idea if it'll zip back 20 feet, stop dead, or I'll blade it, chunk it, or pull it 25 feet left. I just prefer to take an easier swing with my GW or PW on those shots, as I usually control things better and end up closer.

Last edited:
In wedges this is where things start getting into personal preferences. Some guys play 1* flatter than irons, som go shorter in length, etc. I would say try to demo some wedges and see if you feel like you need the added length.

In wedges this is where things start getting into personal preferences. Some guys play 1* flatter than irons, som go shorter in length, etc. I would say try to demo some wedges and see if you feel like you need the added length.

Actually got out today in Indiana of all places with my 8 year old at out executive course. I love these wedges and the length doesn't appear to have an impact on my full shots. I am shock at how much difference the grind on these has made in terms of digging and my distances. I always placed the neutral grind in my old vokeys but these have the M grind which in the SM4 equals the S grind in SM6. The course was wet and yet I never dug. I was hitting my 54 a solid 105 yards. Farthest I could ever get my old SW was 85 yards tops.

Playing some bridgestone e5s, I was hitting the SM4 with a lower, more piercing flight that was hitting the soft greens and spinning back around 10 feet. This is totally going to change my game having a SW I can hit with confidence from 80-105 yards.

Actually got out today in Indiana of all places with my 8 year old at out executive course. I love these wedges and the length doesn't appear to have an impact on my full shots. I am shock at how much difference the grind on these has made in terms of digging and my distances. I always placed the neutral grind in my old vokeys but these have the M grind which in the SM4 equals the S grind in SM6. The course was wet and yet I never dug. I was hitting my 54 a solid 105 yards. Farthest I could ever get my old SW was 85 yards tops.

Playing some bridgestone e5s, I was hitting the SM4 with a lower, more piercing flight that was hitting the soft greens and spinning back around 10 feet. This is totally going to change my game having a SW I can hit with confidence from 80-105 yards.

That's awesome news. Getting the right grind for both swing and turf conditions one normally plays is important. I like the s grind in the sm6 and it's what I use in my 54*

Back