Driving Range Value when changing clubs?

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
This year I elected to get "serious" about golf...or at least get to where I do not humiliate myself on company outings with legit golfers. To that goal I went to the local golf center to get custom fitted clubs (Redtail Golf Center in Portland, OR). The gentleman who fitted me took a lot of time with me, including essentially giving a mini-free lesson, pointing out issues with my aiming point, swing path, etc. He also pointed out the clubs I was using are too short, lofted incorrectly, have much too flexy a shaft for my swing speed, and the grips are too small.

The clubs will not be here for a couple weeks. I am considering going to the driving range to work on the aiming portion and completely revamping my swing path. However, since the clubs I will be using in two weeks are longer, steel shaft, different loft and lie...is that time going to be counter-productive in teaching me habits with clubs that do not work? Once the clubs come I intend to get a series of lessons to reshape my entire game.

The real question: Should I go to the driving range with "incorrect" clubs?

Information possibly of value, possibly not; Local par 34 course, 62.6/101 rating and slope, prior to that lesson/fitting I was routinely between a 43 and a 48 for 9 (I do not take mulligans, do count OB penalties usually but will occasionally not realize I went OB and instead of properly taking distance and penalty just take penalty, so those scores are slightly cheat scores about once every 3 rounds) and since then I have been 48-56. Nevertheless, I am determined to learn a correct, legit swing and am willing to have inflated scores in the short term to achieve long-term improvement.

Hopefully I got this in the right section and thanks in advance

No you should not. Wait for your clubs to come in. You can build some bad habits with the wrong clubs

Check your PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70% of your practice time should be spent from less than 120 yards so go practice your putting and chipping until they come in.

Yep. Work on your putting.

Agree with everyone else..wait for your clubs to come in and spend time on short game while waiting

thanks everyone. I will deny the urge. and, with the help of the rain, I also denied the urge to golf...so back to jacking up my golf swing with perfecting the racquetball swing. :) And thanks for the PM, tequila, concur wholeheartedly. Great guy and solid staff there all around

Back