chosing a practice facility Membership

MPlefty

Reaction score
Handicap
hey guys, I need a bit of help here, I want to get a range pass for the season, and narrowed it down to two courses.

first option is closer to home and work, about 5 miles, has a beutiful driving range that's in better shape than fairways in the area, but no chipping green/sand practice area. it costs $400 for the season, and is owned by a known not so legit group of people...

second option is the course I play the most often, has a grass range, but it is not so well maintained, still usable though. it has a small chipping green (about 12 yards long and wide) and has a bunker to practice. cost is $950 but gives me a 50% discount on green fees. but it is 15-20 miles away from home.

both have a nice big putting green

which one would you guys chose?

Ugh, tough choice. My first reaction was to not join any place that doesn't let you practice short game. But double the price, worse conditions and further away??? Yuck. I'm not sure I'd join either. Do you have to take on a membership like this in your area to practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, tough choice. My first reaction was to not join any place that doesn't let you practice short game. But double the price, worse conditions and further away??? Yuck. I'm not sure I'd join either. Do you have to take on a membership like this in your area to practice?

I dont have to take a membership, but at 8 bucks for a big bucket, I spend way past a thousand buck a year in practice alone

I dont have to take a membership, but at 8 bucks for a big bucket, I spend way past a thousand buck a year in practice alone

Not to be a jerk but having played with and talked to you about what is holding you back, sounds like whoever has the better short game facility would be where I would spend the money.

i am in favor of the short game practice area. any chance to work on that part of the game is worth it.

...it costs $400 for the season, and is owned by a known not so legit group of people...

Very curious what this means exactly. Anyways, the convenience and cost of 5 miles from home would probably be my choice.

Very curious what this means exactly. Anyways, the convenience and cost of 5 miles from home would probably be my choice.

edit: lets not start this discussion in that thread, but lets say my reason tells me its a nice place, but my conscience tells me not to go there

Martin, to me the short game is key and that would be my route. I can understand the time difference but it is well worth in the end, your scores will thank you. Plus 50% off green fees where you play. I would say that would be my choice.

Not to be a jerk but having played with and talked to you about what is holding you back, sounds like whoever has the better short game facility would be where I would spend the money.

you are not being a jerk, dont worry. I am not sure I remember this conversation, but my short game could always get much better.

I'm just here to admire your avi.

I'd have to go with convenience, I know myself and I'm not driving 20 miles to hit balls.

you are not being a jerk, dont worry. I am not sure I remember this conversation, but my short game could always get much better.

As a refresher, after playing together, you hit the ball off the tee pretty far. You strike your irons pretty solidly. So I couldnt possibly fathom how you were a 20+ hcp. You told me that your short game is what was holding you back and I witnessed a little of that in OC.

Option 2 Marty.

Last year I spent a considerable amount of time on my short game. There is a course with a big putting green and chipping green down the street from my work and I would spend an hour a day there for lunch. It was HUGE for me, also the practice greens are ok, not great by an means but at least I was out there grinding. Plus you get discounted greens fees - work on your game for an hour and then take it out on the course.

Will option #1 be adding a short game area soon? I ask because my local driving range just added it last year.

If not, then go with option #2 and the grass range is a plus.

Will option #1 be adding a short game area soon? I ask because my local driving range just added it last year.

If not, then go with option #2 and the grass range is a plus.

no, they added one, but it is not usable, the gree is flat, round, about 4 yards deep, and you have maybe 3 yards around it to chip....

Some things to consider:
the facility is no good if you don't use it so proximity is important;
a quality grass range is of limited importance since preferred lies are available;
chipping practice can be done by working on technique and not worrying about results; bunker practice and putting practice are most effective if the conditions are much like those on the course being played.

I think a case can be made for each option. (I'm a lot of help, huh?)

It all depends what you want to focus on. If short game is your need, pay for the best short game facility.

This year I want to get more swings in. I am picking a place close to work, that is super cheap, but has covered mats and grass I can hit off of. A decent sized green, but abysmal short game areas.

The good facility near me rarely has the bunkers/short game/greens open at the same time as the range, they are rude, expensive, and honestly not appealing to go to.

hey guys, I need a bit of help here, I want to get a range pass for the season, and narrowed it down to two courses.

first option is closer to home and work, about 5 miles, has a beutiful driving range that's in better shape than fairways in the area, but no chipping green/sand practice area. it costs $400 for the season, and is owned by a known not so legit group of people...

second option is the course I play the most often, has a grass range, but it is not so well maintained, still usable though. it has a small chipping green (about 12 yards long and wide) and has a bunker to practice. cost is $950 but gives me a 50% discount on green fees. but it is 15-20 miles away from home.

both have a nice big putting green

which one would you guys chose?

WOW! My yearly range membership is $100. I'd buy a shag bag and find a field close by..........

Last edited:
I am lucky, in that there is one public course in the area that has a decent grass range, also has about a 75 yard short game area with a huge sand bunker to practice in so there was really no other option.

If you really need the work on the short game, the 2nd option might be better, but to be honest, whichever one is going to get you out practicing more. To me, I have a range finder, so I can work on some short game shots on the range trying to dial in some distances so I would jump all over the closer/cheaper first option.

But again, depends on what you feel is important to your game, if you need to practice the short game and the 15-20 miles away won't impede your practice then go there.

good luck whichever route you go!

If it were me, I'd say #2. You'd be able to do more there, you get the 50% off the greens fees, and if you're making the drive out there, subconsciously you may end up spending more time to really make the drive worth your while. I know that when I go to the range closer to me, I tend to rush through, but when I go to the muni with the range and short game area, I tend to take my time as it's further away. Just my opinion.

Back