Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Review Thread

Hit the DBD yesterday at the THP Live Driver Testing. I hit it a couple of times on the range, then twice out on the course. I love the tall/deep face on this one. I hit one very solid in the middle of the face and got some great distance with that one. I hit one other high and right on the club face and it was a gentle push right, but had some distance loss. Part of me wants to try this driver over an extended time, just to see what I can do with it. The smarter side of my brain says its just too much for me and that the drives with distance loss from miss-hits would far outweigh the center strikes. May have to keep a watch out for heads on these this time next year to see if I can pick up one to play around with.

I've had DBD long enough to get past the honeymoon phase and she's still a beast. I tried putting my Mitsubishi Fubuki back in and didn't see much of a performance difference but the Rogue just feels so smooth so I'm sticking with it. The driver has remained very consistent for me and the numbers from my fitting are still bearing out on the golf course.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I noticed that review in Golf Magazine looks like it was lifted from this thread.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Review Thread

I got out to the range yesterday with my Callaway bag. I am playing the DBD with a Oban Kyoshi Gold. I can't speak to actual yardages, but I can give some feedback after spending some more time with the DBD. I hit a fade and tend to spin the ball quite a bit off the tee. The DBD is a great fit for me. I was previously playing a SLDR which did a great job combating spin but didn't offer much lateral forgiveness. First of all the DBD is packaged wonderfully. From address I would never guess this head is 460cc. The crown is perfectly clean. The only negative would be the lack of face to crown contrast for alignment purposes. That being said I have not encountered any issues with aligning this head properly. There is a ton of adjustability as has been well documented in the thread. Other than swapping shafts to give the Handcrafted a spin, I have not adjusted the set up I was fit into at the ECPC. The thing that excites me the most about this driver (other than the looks :) ), is the upgrade in forgiveness over my previous club. The spot I found to be most punishing with the DBD was low and towards the heel. I do have the gravity core up, flipping it would provide some better balls on the low side of the face but my more common miss is high on the face thus the current set up of gc up. I will continue to offer feed back as relevant info arises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The ponder is real.

drivers-2015-big-bertha-alpha-815-double-diamond-udesign____11970_12705_1.png

Undesign Dbd? I like your style.

Do it.

I bombed it.

I bet Canabombs would occur.

Just trying to better understand how it's possible to go lower spinning and more forgiving than alpha, but that's what I keep reading/hearing.

That I adore the '14 alpha means this one has to be incredible. Can't believe i still haven't hit one.

Just trying to better understand how it's possible to go lower spinning and more forgiving than alpha, but that's what I keep reading/hearing.

That I adore the '14 alpha means this one has to be incredible. Can't believe i still haven't hit one.

I liked the DBD, and thought the Alpha was just "ok".

Because tech is real. Contrary to what some who want to live in the dark ages believe.

Because tech is real. Contrary to what some who want to live in the dark ages believe.

Amazing how far drivers have come.

I never really gave the Alpha much time. But I did game the sldr. This laps the sldr on forgiveness

I never really gave the Alpha much time. But I did game the sldr. This laps the sldr on forgiveness

Lol. SLDR. Forgiveness. Haha.

So does a brick on a stick. :alien:

The consumer part of this is...how much improvemt will is see for the $$$$

So does a brick on a stick. :alien:
And many have posted that they would game that brick if it meant lower scores.

You are an animal off the tee, I bet you would hammer it.

For me, while I hit it quite well, it was the 3rd best driver I hit at the Live Driver Testing a few weeks back,.

Its a phenomenal jump on last years models.

Hell, I saw the XR outpace two former #Grandaddy members Bertha and Alpha. The tech is real.

uDesign is such a big commit haha, but man, it looks absolutely incredible.

I know most would do well to hang onto the regular 815 however with how much I've thrived with the '14 Alpha, I think it's a lock.

I'm just the opposite. At least on a monitor and the numbers. The DBD was good but I honestly wouldn't replace my Alpha with it. Just wasn't a serious upgrade for my game...

I'm just the opposite. At least on a monitor and the numbers. The DBD was good but I honestly wouldn't replace my Alpha with it. Just wasn't a serious upgrade for my game...

I've heard very few come to this conclusion. Surprising!!!

What's superior about the '14?

I've heard very few come to this conclusion. Surprising!!!

What's superior about the '14?

The ball never "jumped" off the DBD for me. I could feel and tell the numbers were less no matter where I hit it.

My ball speed is faster with my Alpha and therefore more distance. With my new PX LZ shaft, I don't get the knucklers that I used to with the Fubuki.

I picked up a 10.5° Alpha head and played 18 on Thursday with it. It is money for me. I just can't mess with my setup right now when it works. I really wanted to love the DBD and possibly game one but my money is better spent on playing right now.

The Alpha didn't come alive until my shaft swap though. It was a very love/hate beforehand.

In the end, the DBD was a good driver and people will love it for sure. I liked it but didn't have to have it if that makes sense.

Well...I was fortunate enough to be able to game this for a little while. When I was first allowed the opportunity to swing this with the Rogue X I was in awe. Just the sound of this beast at impact brings a smile to my face.

I was taken back by the actual forgiveness this club does have. That word covers a lot of areas and not every golfer has the same perception. Truthfully I've never really gotten along with any of the Bertha series...but this one...this one felt right at home. Now...let's not get carried away (the ball will do that), the further away from center you get the better this club shows off your miss. I've come to the conclusion that if I can keep part of the ball towards the center...I will be able to play the result. The only real off center impact that I don't worry too much about is out on the toe or on the bottom grooves. My flight is higher than most so that probably helps on those misses. If you can find centerish mass more often than not...do not be afraid of this beast. If true "across the face" nonchalant impact is your go-to...probably best to leave this bad boy alone.

I can pull it left or push it right if I'm not focused...so it's not point and shoot. What I can say is that when I'm anywhere near the graphics of center...I'm good to go. Distance will be lost, but not a stroke. The smaller footprint and sheer power waiting to be given is only bested by the sound of a pure strike...it is truly something that turns the frown upside down for me. It's not too often, for me, that I can hit a driver and have a pretty good idea what the outcome is going to be simply from feel and sound off the face. It seems to yell at you or give you an atta boy just waiting for you to take a look at what you've just provided it.

Is this a forgiving driver when full attention is not given...no. Is there more forgiveness than what I've been warned through reading and listening...absolutely! I would replace it in a heart beat for one of my own; however, the weapon of choice that was in second place has a bit lower tag and offers me good returns. The sound...no...the sound of a well struck shot still resides with the DBD for me and that I will miss.

There are some golfers out there I know that need this weapon and would be able to bring out of it what it is capable of...I didn't even touch the surface. This has been a true joy to game and for that...I thank you Kang.

Back