What would you consider my stroke type

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
Got bored this evening and took a few videos of my putting stroke. I'm not expert, but after multiple videos I think I have a straight back and through stroke. You can see the toe coming through on the putter pretty bad as I make contact. I may need a different putter. Still plan to get fitted but what do you all think. https://vimeo.com/201475580https://vimeo.com/201475684https://vimeo.com/201475748

Very similar to mine, which I also consider SBST for the most part. I do much better with face balanced putters. Have you experimented with putters that have different amounts of toe hang?

Very similar to mine, which I also consider SBST for the most part. I do much better with face balanced putters. Have you experimented with putters that have different amounts of toe hang?

I haven't experimented much, this is something I am just getting into with the putter. I have been wanting to get a fitting, but thought I'd do a little experimenting on my own too. I used to putt with an odyssey 2 ball and did pretty good. I now have a Scotty Newport 2.5 and seem to do ok, but I feel like there is something up. Never have been 100% comfortable with the Blade.

Unless you manipulate your hands or body there really isn't a true SBST putting stroke. I would say Arcing with a bias to the left; which gives the impression that you are going straight back. Let me guess you are trying to fix a left miss? Seems like you trying to hold the putter square to the target line because it looks like the putter is closing on the way back and then rotating closed more on the forward stroke?

I'm in a similar boat with the blade, have really enjoyed my notch back, blade look with a mallet stroke :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Unless you manipulate your hands or body there really isn't a true SBST putting stroke. I would say Arcing with a bias to the left; which gives the impression that you are going straight back. Let me guess you are trying to fix a left miss? Seems like you trying to hold the putter square to the target line because it looks like the putter is closing on the way back and then rotating closed more on the forward stroke?

I'm not really trying to fix a miss. I would say that I probably do miss to the left more than anything though. I watched a few videos that basically said what you just said that a SBST stroke is not ideal.

I agree. You're definitely straight stroke but you may want to either move your ball position back a hair or open your stance to hold off that last second training left of the face. Other than that, it's smooth my man.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think Ping would characterize your swing as a slight arc. You can download their iOS app and find out for yourself. Takes just a few putts.

I think Ping would characterize your swing as a slight arc. You can download their iOS app and find out for yourself. Takes just a few putts.

Be careful with the ping app, it measures rotation not the putters path.

Looks like your ball is way too far forward in your stance...imo. Stroke has no option but to close early with the toe unless you break your left wrist to keep it on line. Just a thought.

Looks like a slight arc to me.

Looks like your ball is way too far forward in your stance...imo. Stroke has no option but to close early with the toe unless you break your left wrist to keep it on line. Just a thought.

This may be an illusion in the videos. I do keep it a little forward in my stance. I will check it out next time I practice.

This may be an illusion in the videos. I do keep it a little forward in my stance. I will check it out next time I practice.
Thought that after I posted as well...not the best angle to make that assessment so my apologies. Something to look at if your continuing to be left with your line...imo. Also how close your are to the ball...made an adjustment myself last year there and it helped me. Good luck!

Back