2017 M1 - unexpected first outing

BristolMike

Reaction score
Handicap
I picked my new 2017 M1 with PX Hzrdus Yellow and M2 hybrids up on Friday after receiving the call to say my pre order had been delivered to store. I excitedly picked the clubs up, with a round booked on the TwentyTen course at the Celtic Manor as their first outing.

The clubs performed exactly as I would have wanted despite the terrible conditions (rain, soaking wet under foot, cold). The driver being the star of the show. Long, straight, great ball flight. This was until I hit one particular drive, which then saw my clubhead flying into the air in front of me, onto the cart path. I look at shaft and it looks like it completely severed above the hosel. The funny thing is my clubhead went further than my playing partners ball. I pick the clubhead and it's chipped where it bounced off the path. The rest of the round was a struggle with a 3 wood off the tee. The staff did find it quite funny when I went back to the clubhouse, even asking if they had to clean the driver when they cleaned the rest of the clubs.

Have to say say it was an unexpected first outing and now it looks like I will be driverless until it's sent off and a replacement sent back to me. Im playing the Mere on Friday (if any of you watch Rick Shiels it's where he was club pro) so hope its back by then

I picked my new 2017 M1 with PX Hzrdus Yellow and M2 hybrids up on Friday after receiving the call to say my pre order had been delivered to store. I excitedly picked the clubs up, with a round booked on the TwentyTen course at the Celtic Manor as their first outing.

The clubs performed exactly as I would have wanted despite the terrible conditions (rain, soaking wet under foot, cold). The driver being the star of the show. Long, straight, great ball flight. This was until I hit one particular drive, which then saw my clubhead flying into the air in front of me, onto the cart path. I look at shaft and it looks like it completely severed above the hosel. The funny thing is my clubhead went further than my playing partners ball. I pick the clubhead and it's chipped where it bounced off the path. The rest of the round was a struggle with a 3 wood off the tee. The staff did find it quite funny when I went back to the clubhouse, even asking if they had to clean the driver when they cleaned the rest of the clubs.

Have to say say it was an unexpected first outing and now it looks like I will be driverless until it's sent off and a replacement sent back to me. Im playing the Mere on Friday (if any of you watch Rick Shiels it's where he was club pro) so hope its back by then

They should replace it straight away, no sending it back, you contract is with the store, it looks like a manufacturing defect if it broke off in its first outing.

I will go back tomorrow and get them to replace it. I must be a manufacturing defect and I know these things can happen. I was really looking forward to getting the Hzrdus yellow, I just hope there isn't a faulty batch that have gone into the M1s, it did make me wonder if I should try another shaft manufacturer.

I know the Project X team are well thought of on here so I know they make good products, just concerned it's a batch issue rather than an individual shaft

Man that's such a huge bummer after shelling out that sort of money. The shaft itself just severed in two pieces? That's crazy and makes you wonder for sure.

Yeah it split and clubhead went flying. It's fine if it will be replaced, just don't want it happening again.

would you look to get a different shaft with the replacement or would you give it another chance?

It it fits you well why not give it another chance, things like happen...not all the time but there's always a chance it could. Sorry to hear it happened to you, hope you get a replacement before your trip.

I had a similar thing occur back when I got my Burner 2.0 irons. First swing with the 4i and the shaft snapped and sent the head flying. It was replaced quickly and I never had another problem with it. It will be replaced and shouldn't be an issue again. Just crumby luck.

I will give it another try. The shaft did seem to work for me. I just wondered if it was worth paying the extra and trying to get a hand crafted version rather than the mass produced made for ones.

If you have twitter, reach out to them. They will replace it. Also, you can go to a local dicks sporting good store and they can call in a replacement for you.

Similar situation happened to a buddy and we went into Dicks on Monday to call in the replacement and he had a brand new one in by Friday.

Timing could certainly be different now as this at release time but I know they will take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm uk based. Do you think I should just go back to the store I bought it from?

I think you should ring them up for further instructions. Btw did you buy this from a big chain for local pro shop? Just curious.

I bought it from my local American Golf (big chain store)

Go into them you shouldn't have a problem, I'm sure American golf have a 28 day returns policy for anything that isn't fit for purpose! I'm sure that qualifies.

I picked my replacement M1 up last night. I hit it against the Epic again because I considered switching, but I just couldn't get the same numbers from the Epic so M1 it is. I was consistently swinging the M1 5mph faster and can't explain it.

Interestingly the manager said TM had received quite a few back already. There seems to be a problem with the Hzrdus shaft in there. It's only been out a week and for TM U.K. To have received double figures back shows there could be a bad batch out there.

I know you're well connected to True Temper on here, have they had any feedback from TM yet?

Glad to see everything was resolved swiftly. Good luck with the replacement.

Glad to see you got a replacement so quickly! I had almost the same thing happen a few years back with a Callaway driver - maybe my 2nd time on the course, I hit the ground a bit fat (OK, a LOT fat) and the shaft snapped. They sent a replacement ASAP.

Good luck with the M1, I hope it brings you many fairways!

It's definitely a fairway finder, let's hope that continues. If this one snaps again then I'm off to get the Epic

Good luck with the replacement. That's unfortunate!!

This happened to me when testing out the M1 driver at golf galaxy. About 10 swings in, the head went flying into the net! It was hzrdus yellow stiff shaft. I was like, wow sorry, I've never had that happen before. The employee told me that it was the 3rd one that's snapped within a month or so. My club head speed is only 98-102 mph, so it wasn't like I was crushing it. Long story short, I went with a different shaft.?

Back