Pro V1 and V1x switch spin rates?

Popeye

Reaction score
Handicap
09d3fce3ca35a338634c1ec4e051220b.jpg

The end display has the spin preferences and I guess I missed something. When did they flip flop?

That is what they have been for a while right? A higher compression ball will spin more won't it?

I was under the impression that the X was always the firmer/spinnier option but I could be misremembering.

That is what they have been for a while right? A higher compression ball will spin more won't it?

You are correct. THP actually has a thing on this in one of our upcoming episodes of the PGA Show Coverage.
Its a big misnomer.

I was under the impression that the X was always the firmer/spinnier option but I could be misremembering.
Well the guy at Dicks who has been there for 11 years said that it has flip flopped as I thought. I have always thought the X was sold as the less spin option. I'm confused which is normal for me.

Well the guy at Dicks who has been there for 11 years said that it has flip flopped as I thought. I have always thought the X was sold as the less spin option. I'm confused which is normal for me.

Popeye, the gentleman at Dick's is incorrect. Spin is caused from the compression of the core on full swings and the Pro V1x has always been the firmer golf ball. As I mentioned, THP spoke with Titleist about this and even filmed a THP TV spot (Pro V1 misnomers) that will be airing in our PGA Show coverage that is coming out (first two episodes already out) this week.

I think a lot of people had this same issue in mind, which is why we decided to put the THP TV spot together.

Thanks JB, no idea why I thought the opposite.

Thanks JB, no idea why I thought the opposite.

I think a lot of people did. I honestly believe as more comes out in marketing of golf balls properly, the consumer will benefit greatly as they test golf balls. Not everybody is going to listen to THP Radio and hear it from the experts or watch THP TV to get the proper info and I am glad that most major golf ball companies are putting out good information now.

He might be confusing driver spin with the short game spin section.

I was always told the same thing from local golf shops. V was for more greenside spin and x was for less. The harder x was for higher swing speed players and the V was for slower swing speeds.

It wasn't until I started reading threads here that I was able to get correct info... from the testing staff and the manufacturers themself. The golf shops will tell you all sorts of crazy stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I was always told the same thing from local golf shops. V was for more greenside spin and x was for less. The harder x was for higher swing speed players and the V was for slower swing speeds.

It wasn't until I started reading threads here that I was able to get correct info... from the testing staff and the manufacturers themself. The golf shops will tell you all sorts of crazy stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If the shop isn't educating their staff, the staff are left on their own for their own education aka they just make it up or go what they read on the internet.

If the shop isn't educating their staff, the staff are left on their own for their own education aka they just make it up or go what they read on the internet.

Definitely. I don't see that trend getting any better any time soon either.

Popeye, the gentleman at Dick's is incorrect. Spin is caused from the compression of the core on full swings and the Pro V1x has always been the firmer golf ball. As I mentioned, THP spoke with Titleist about this and even filmed a THP TV spot (Pro V1 misnomers) that will be airing in our PGA Show coverage that is coming out (first two episodes already out) this week.

I think a lot of people had this same issue in mind, which is why we decided to put the THP TV spot together.

I was under this assumption also. Looking forward to the this episode in particular.

99e7541af97ac04e82a077c5e55017c2.jpg

So this is what I always saw, but I thought it translated to the short game as well. The X is less off the driver but more in the short game. That is what I did not know.

99e7541af97ac04e82a077c5e55017c2.jpg

So this is what I always saw, but I thought it translated to the short game as well. The X is less off the driver but more in the short game. That is what I did not know.

The problem with that graph is it does not talk about who is testing it. The ball will react differently based on the impact made (based on club head speed and impact area).
On full swings, compression is the force behind spin. Just as higher compression can equal more ball speed, but the sacrifice is spin, especially when mis-hits occur. Its important to find the ball that maximizes this cross section for the golfer.

Back