Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Has anyone tried the s+ shaft with this head?

I had 3 shafts to choose from at the proshop for the 815. The speeder 565 was too light and didnt try it. Put the s+60 against the speeder 665 on the course. The s+ wondering out because it was easier to find the clubface center and felt firmer for me. I think the speeder would suit a smoother swinger. I could have tried a stiffer flex in the 665 maybe but it was a one day sale. Either way this club is straight and long for me and performed well in the wind as well.

Stopped in at a PGASS yesterday to see if I had my 815 setup correctly and they were very helpful. Jumped up there and hit about 10 balls and here's what my avgs were:

Project X LZ 6.0
10.5* D/S Core Up
102 SS
151 Ball Speed
LA 10.9*
Spin 3800

The guy there said I should keep it the way it was. Any thoughts?

Stopped in at a PGASS yesterday to see if I had my 815 setup correctly and they were very helpful. Jumped up there and hit about 10 balls and here's what my avgs were:

Project X LZ 6.0
10.5* D/S Core Up
102 SS
151 Ball Speed
LA 10.9*
Spin 3800

The guy there said I should keep it the way it was. Any thoughts?

I know some are going to comment on the spin, but honestly, given the LA and SS its in a pretty good place IMO. It'll aid you, not hinder. I think we are in a "seeking out the lowest spin I can" phase in golf after some campaigns like the 17/1700 one, when in reality some need the spin to not knuckle the ball and to actually get it up. I need a little more spin myself.

Better question is, how're you hitting it on the course brotherman?

I thought the same thing when I first looked at the numbers that several would be clamoring about the spin rate. If that is the best set up for you, by all means play to what gives you the best results.

I may get a chance to get to ATL in the next for weeks and may do the same. I have no clue what numbers my Alpha 815 produces. I just tweak it until it passes my eye test and puts the ball where I want it to go.

I know some are going to comment on the spin, but honestly, given the LA and SS its in a pretty good place IMO. It'll aid you, not hinder. I think we are in a "seeking out the lowest spin I can" phase in golf after some campaigns like the 17/1700 one, when in reality some need the spin to not knuckle the ball and to actually get it up. I need a little more spin myself.

Better question is, how're you hitting it on the course brotherman?

I've always thought of myself as a low spin guy as well, but I've really been working on my grip and now I'm hitting it higher than ever, which I love. I'm hitting driver about as well and as consistent as I ever have, though. It used to be a big liability.

I used to play it at 11.5 to help with launch, but with that much spin do you think I'd see a benefit going to 9.5?

I've always thought of myself as a low spin guy as well, but I've really been working on my grip and now I'm hitting it higher than ever, which I love. I'm hitting driver about as well and as consistent as I ever have, though. It used to be a big liability.

I used to play it at 11.5 to help with launch, but with that much spin do you think I'd see a benefit going to 9.5?

I love it dude, I love that you are embracing the high ball.

Honestly, the only way to know, will be to give it a whirl and see what you are seeing out on the course. You will see a drop, but it might not be as much as you anticipate. IMO, you're in a solid place if what you see on the course you are liking. Love that you are getting more confident with the big stick, now some day we just need to tee it up!

If anything it may give u more roll out and help keep it lower when it's windy out.

I have my first round in with this club. I have it at +2 n core up and getting a baby fade. Does lofting up close the clubface with this driver?

I also have the 7g weight in the toe. Seems to guard against the hooks.

So, I took this back out yesterday after playing the XR for a few rounds exclusively and I have to say....

This is the best driver I have found, for me, this year by a good margin. Honestly, it fits my miss best.

So, I took this back out yesterday after playing the XR for a few rounds exclusively and I have to say....

This is the best driver I have found, for me, this year by a good margin. Honestly, it fits my miss best.
James,
Your miss is vertical, correct? How does the 815 respond to strikes lower on the face?

James,
Your miss is vertical, correct? How does the 815 respond to strikes lower on the face?
Correct! Depends on if the core is up or down. Imo it performs best on the miss the same direction the core is set. In mine it's up.

I forgot to comment on this yesterday, I bumped mine up to 12.5 and it didn't seem like I was hitting it better but I was definitely longer since I was playing from new spots it the fairway. It just seemed more effortless with the higher loft. I'm gonna play again tomorrow and see if it was just a fluke or what.

James,

my my miss is usually pretty low on the face. I started with the core up for the first few rounds. After turning the core down, there by putting the mass behind my miss, I really started to enjoy this driver even more. After turning the core down, lofting up to 12.5* and shortening the shaft an inch I'm finding way more fairways than before and also playing closer second shots on almost every drive.

Do you still have both heads Jman? I'm interested in which of these two (XR or 815 core down) has the lower CG, and also which has the most forward CG. Have you tried anything like TO did in that video where he balanced heads on wooden dowels to investigate which might be lowest, most forward? Or do you have info from CG to differentiate them? Oh also your XR was the standard right, not the Pro? Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

XR has lower CG.
Both are similar in terms of depth location, with it being slightly further back in XR.

Wow that was fast. Talk about top-notch membership service. Thanks JB.

Do you guys feel this is a big step up in terms of forgiveness from last years alpha? I like my alpha when my swing is on but lately I've been a bit off and I feel I'm really being punished. Would I see a noticeable increase in forgiveness between the two?

Do you guys feel this is a big step up in terms of forgiveness from last years alpha? I like my alpha when my swing is on but lately I've been a bit off and I feel I'm really being punished. Would I see a noticeable increase in forgiveness between the two?

The DBD will be closer to the Alpha. The regular BBA 815 had more lateral forgiveness and retains ball speeds better than the 2014 Bertha.

I think to truly unlock this one you need a good fitting. IMO. Allow yourself to tinker with the weights & gravity core to make sure you maximize the forgiveness because the center hits go far with a decent swing.

This driver continues to amaze me. It is the best combo of length and forgiveness I have ever hit. I may have some dalliances with different shafts but the head is just awesome for me.

Absolutely love this driver! Have mine set at neutral 10.5 and draw. Today I played with the handmade LZ 6.5 for the first time in this driver and was loving the ball flight. I am really curious what my #s are with this shaft vs the diamana s+. I was hitting some nice draws without much effort but hitting a fade was a bit more challenging. I might have to go neutral neutral and see what happens.

I just hit the 815/Fuji 565 combo today in a sim for the first time. A very enjoyable club; love the feel. Next to my V Series, a favorite. I could see fine tuning it with the right shaft and playing it.

So today was the first day I got the 815 out on the course. I came away extremely impressed. This driver really wants to do 2 things; go long and go straight! I hit 7/12 fairways. Of the 5 I missed; 3 were just barely missed. The other 2 were terrible swings but were still in play. Made it through all 18 with the same ball which rarely happens for me. I usually play a fade and aim towards the left side of the fairway but after a couple holes I just started aiming dead center. Had one drive where I was in a spot I never saw in my life and I've been playing this course for 19 years! What also impressed me was the distance forgiveness. I had a terrible swing on one hole that almost hit the hosel it was so far off to the heel. The ball one hopped and hit a tree that was 230 yards out. The tree wasn't that far off the fairway and I had a clear approach shot. I couldn't believe how far the ball went on such a bad mishit and how well it held its line. The 815/LZ combo is so good. Gives me mid flight, straight bombs time after time. Can't wait to get it back out on the course later this week.

Back