Driver shaft flex

threerocks

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking to buy a new driver. I recently payed for a club fitting, and the pro told me I should be playing an extra stiff shaft. I always cut my drivers down to 43 1/2" to 44". My question is does cutting the shaft shorter increase stiffness? In other words if I bought an extra stiff shaft and cut it down am I making it an extra extra stiff shaft? Or would a stiff shaft become extra stiff by cutting it?

Cutting a stiff shaft 2+ inches would definitely give a stiffer feel in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm looking to buy a new driver. I recently payed for a club fitting, and the pro told me I should be playing an extra stiff shaft. I always cut my drivers down to 43 1/2" to 44". My question is does cutting the shaft shorter increase stiffness? In other words if I bought an extra stiff shaft and cut it down am I making it an extra extra stiff shaft? Or would a stiff shaft become extra stiff by cutting it?

I've done a lot of tip and butt trimming of shafts over the last few decades because I've never played a driver longer than 44.5". Trimming from the butt end will increase the CPM's (stiffness) but it will also require you to add weight to the clubhead if you want to maintain the same swing weight. Adding weight to the clubhead will soften the shaft, the opposite effect of shortening the shaft. In the end, there is often little change in the performance or flex of the shaft when butt trimming an inch or so and adding the corresponding necessary weight to the clubhead.

It's also important to remember that there is no standard for shaft flex and whether you play stiff or x stiff in a particular shaft model is mostly about feel, not about performance.

Back