Callaway Optifit hosel quetion

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Since the Epic is my first Callaway driver, if you set the hosel to 'N' and +1 does it actually loft it up 1* without closing the face?

Believe that is the design of the dual cog system.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/optifitinstructions/

I just find it interesting that every manufacturer has a hosel that closes the face when you raise the loft and opens when you lower it due to the logistics of it. I guess I'm just wondering if the N and D actually refer to the lie angle of the club, does the club face still close with the 1* increase and the loft setting counteracts that by keeping it flat?

I know the TM adapter has slight lie angle adjustments they post on their website with every setting. I haven't seen anything that shows what the actual lie angles are for each possible setting if that exists. Not that I will notice that much if it is very minimal. I'm just curious from a logic perspective.

I just find it interesting that every manufacturer has a hosel that closes the face when you raise the loft and opens when you lower it due to the logistics of it. I guess I'm just wondering if the N and D actually refer to the lie angle of the club, does the club face still close with the 1* increase and the loft setting counteracts that by keeping it flat?

I know the TM adapter has slight lie angle adjustments they post on their website with every setting. I haven't seen anything that shows what the actual lie angles are for each possible setting if that exists. Not that I will notice that much if it is very minimal. I'm just curious from a logic perspective.

The Taylormade and srixon adaptors don't have the dual cogs & I believe the Cobra adaptor has the smart pad that lets you change the loft but keeps the face angle square.

Not sure if the dual cog system keeps The face in exactly the angle but it has been very close from my experience with several different Callaway drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway's dual cog system is like any other, closing the face to force you to resquare which ups the loft (or the opposite when lowering loft)

The difference is a cog system allows you to maintain shaft orientation, at the cost of having a giant 8-9 gram adaptor tip

D and N adjust the lie angle, which changes the spin axis, D being upright and N being flat

Cobra's SmartPad (and the face angle thingamabob on the JPX900) work to allow the club to sit square when soled with neutral pressure

I will add that in reality, you should pay no attention to the settings, and just adjust until you get your desired ballflight

All adjustable clubs come in one loft. The loft adjustment does not change the club loft, all it does is change the face angle. In your example, +1 actually closes the face about 1°, so at address, you're forced to open the club face to get back to your original face angle orientation. Opening the face is what creates the higher address loft and consequently the higher loft at impact, at least in theory.

We can argue about semantics like Mr. Wishon or we can accept that in changing the face and/or lie angle that we can change the dynamic loft which affects launch. There are other ways to do this (shaft flex, weights, etc.) But the adapters work, and I don't have a problem with manufacturers simplifying it to "loft" to make it easier to comprehend.

We can argue about semantics like Mr. Wishon or we can accept that in changing the face and/or lie angle that we can change the dynamic loft which affects launch. There are other ways to do this (shaft flex, weights, etc.) But the adapters work, and I don't have a problem with manufacturers simplifying it to "loft" to make it easier to comprehend.

'Semantics' doesn't mean what you think it means. What Wishon says makes perfect sense for anyone willing to listen.

'Semantics' doesn't mean what you think it means. What Wishon says makes perfect sense for anyone willing to listen.
Maybe my phrasing was off last year. How about "wishon's argument about the misuse of the word "loft" by OEMs feels like an exercise in lexical semantics"

Joking aside... I agree with what he is saying for the most part, but it doesn't bother me that OEMs take this shortcut to simplify the concept of dynamic loft as long as the technology works.

Back