What will it take for Tiger to be "back"?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Reading the threads and news this morning, it got me thinking, it's time for most to realize that Tiger, as he once was, will never return.

With that thinking, I started to wonder what does "being back" mean for Tiger? Major wins? Constantly in contention?

I am of firm belief, that Tiger is done. The injuries mounted up, personal problems, and just does not have what he used to. Although, every time he picks the club back up the "Tiger is back" starts flowing again. What will it take to finally be "back?"

Making cuts.

I said it at the PGA Show, if he starts just making cuts consistently then I think that is as "back" as we ever see.

a miracle

Making cuts.

I said it at the PGA Show, if he starts just making cuts consistently then I think that is as "back" as we ever see.
Totally agree with this. If he can do that, think that would be a huge step

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

To come "back" he will need a back.

Swallowing his pride and teaming up again with Butch Harmon.

Wins a tournament or gets through 4 tournaments healthy and in the top 10. His last full season he won 5 tournaments, he was healthy and everything but definitely the shell of his former self if not totally done.

A process of gradual improvement. Stay healthy -> Make cuts -> be in contention for some tournaments -> maybe even win one...

a back transplant will fix it... shy of that, he'll never be back

To me, I just want to see him be a contender. I don't know what that will take, but I hope it happens. He doesn't have to go out and win a bunch of tourneys, but to see him play well would be fun!

A new one. Back that is.

My definition of him being "back" would be if he played at least 10-15 events a year and made most of those cuts, with a decent share being chances to win, and maybe he picks up a win or two a year. He wouldn't even have to win majors, although that would be a bonus.

I agree with you though @War_Eagle, I truly don't think he's ever going to be the same and I think we see him hang up the clubs and focus on his other ventures within the next few years. I think he has swing changed himself to the point where he doesn't even remember the swing that won him all those majors. Between that and his internal loss of belief, he's doneskis.

Winning is everything for him. I don't think he (nor we) should consider himself "back" unless he gets #80.

He needs to be healthy and then lower his expectations to adapt to the swing he is capable of and not the one he remembers!

For Tiger, he needs to win. For someone with his resume, if he's not winning, he's never back. A mediocre tiger might as well never play again.

A time machine ? He will never be back. It's over with. I'm sure he will catch lighting in a bottle here and there and find a way to finish in the top ten. But the course he's playing is not helping. Torrey pines and pebble with a stop in Dubai in between is not the way to go to get back in the swing of things.

A swing that resembles his 2000 timeframe swing, finding the right combo of workout, recovery and practice/play that doesn't put to much strain on his back and maybe avoid long flights.

If he does that then IMO he can play more golf and make cuts.

Make a cut first, after that I need consistent scoring without any physical limitations.

I am also one that thinks he is finished being Tiger, and I don't think he can even be competitive on the tour. He has had so many injuries that he might have days where he looks like the Tiger of old, but most days he is just going to look like old Tiger.

But, for him to be "back" he would need to get back to playing 10+ tournaments a year, making the cut in more than half of them and at least a top ten in one of those.

I think anyone expecting him to come back and be the dominant force he was is just delusional. One he is so much older, and 2 the fields are so much better now.

Divine intervention

for tiger to be "back" he needs a new back (literally), and we as the viewing public need to re-define what "back" means for him regarding on-course success

Depends which Tiger. If, (and I would love to see this, as I expect most would) it's the 'old' Tiger, he would need to be in contention at most tourneys he plays, winning a good chunk of them. Can't for the life of me see that happening now though.

That's what I would see as Tiger being back. Basically, he's never going to be "back", as that alludes to performing at a similar level to what he once did.

I just want to see him string 4 rounds of golf together in comfort and control. If he does that once a month during the season, I'll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty mcfly's time machine

Anyhere near what Phil has been after 40. A competing in majors, occasionally winning regular tour stops. Otherwise, I think Tiger will hang it up.

Back