What will it take for Tiger to be "back"?

For me it means being somewhat dominant again, Today I honestly feel it's out of reach for him and I don't think ha can string 3 or 4 great rounds together again in competitive golf.

He looks more deflated than anyone I've seen in pro sports.

He doesn't need the money, he hates the attention, and he'll always be one of the best ever, he should just call it a day.

For me, he has to win a major. and it has to be a dominant win.

He needs to be healthy and then lower his expectations to adapt to the swing he is capable of and not the one he remembers!

I agree with this completely.

I think a couple top 10s and 10 straight tournaments no MCs and no WDs

Then I'd trust it

He will have to completely change his mindset and find something off the tee that lets him be aggressive on approach shots. When he was dominant he overpowered a course off the tee, and he could use that stinger shot when he had a smaller window to hit into. That followed with being arguably the best there was with an iron in his hand. Saw some stats once that basically showed that while he is known of being a clutch putter, the biggest part of that was due to his proximity to the hole being better than anyone by a good margin. Now, he cannot dominate off of the tee, and concedes he cannot do what DJ, Day, and the other bombers do. Being a little shorter and a lot more crooked reduces what he can do on the approach shot. So, he needs to play a little more like Speith. Get the ball in play and positioned reasonably off the tee, then be better than everyone else on approach shots and short game. He has shown some flashes that he can do the second part, but there are days he cannot hit the ocean with a paddle off the tee. Hard to control distance and spin on an approach shot out of the rough, bunker, or an adjacent golf course.

Given that, I think the best odds of him getting another major are an Open. Watson showed a little guile and good game plan can get you in a position to win there despite not being the longest off the tee. Provided you keep it in the fairway.

Winning majors. And I don't see it happening. 2 reasons. His body would appear to be pretty ****ed would be the first. The second is he no longer has the air of greatness about him. I wonder how many of his majors were won because people around him buckled as they realized Tiger was in contention. Today's players don't have that same sense of his awe that players of 15 years ago did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earl and nothing else.

Regardless of what we all define as "being back", the man has to come to the realization that he isn't as good / dominant as he once was. Unfortunately, that is a tough pill to swallow for any athlete that once was the best in his sport.

Now as for what I'd like to see is for him to be ok with playing at a lesser level, stop attempting the shots he once could pull off with his eyes closed, and manage the course in that style of play. Does that equal wins? Not immediately and maybe never, but like others in the twilight of their careers he may have his occasional weekend where he has a chance to win.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I don't think he ever make a top ten again.

I have a bad back, bad knee and a bad left shoulder. And I'm 49. But I threw for 6 TD's and ran for another as a last second fill-in for a competitive flag football team vs and among kids half my age. I'm not that good. Anymore, at least. ?

Point being, as I said to my wife just yesterday, if he has a good week health-wise and happens to be on, based upon sheer talent, sure he can win again.

But like my day was a flash in the pan, he may revisit more glory days than I, but generally, we're done.

And yes, this will be my last ever pathetic and far reaching, over compensating and self congratulatory comparison with Tiger. ?

Hey, it was a good day. I'm celebrating. Should last maybe 10-15 more years is all. Yes, I'm incredibly sore. My hair hurts.

It's not just the back issue all by itself.

Tiger has been away from the big show for almost 3 years and he had been struggling with his swing before his latest batch of injuries. Tiger doesn't have a go to swing any longer because he doesn't trust what he is doing to begin with. I had been away from playing about 5 years, and I can tell you first hand how difficult it is to get rid of the mental picture of my old swing. My mind still wanted to come into the ball as hard as I used to, but my body had other ideas. When I finally accepted this fact, I began seeing some progress.

It's no different for a "muni" player like myself trying to play single digit again, or one of the greatest players ever.

Swallowing his pride and teaming up again with Butch Harmon.

Agree & a great massesuse/physiotherapist who will work closely with Butch.

If and I stress if, tiger can play the way he did in the Bahamas, make cuts and lots of birds. He will be fine! I'm not sure what happened between Hero and Torre but his swings were different. Im not sure why he fly commercial to Dubai with his back the way it is. Not sure why he feels he need to keep the injury so close to the vest.

The only way he get back in through reps. He has to be somewhat healthy for this happen. Go back to being Tiger. Chase women, curse, drop clubs, spit and control the media. Oh and learn how to play the game again. The game that he had in 2011 when he last won. And do like lil Jon said hit 'shots shots shots shots' earybody!!!

A swing that resembles his 2000 timeframe swing, finding the right combo of workout, recovery and practice/play that doesn't put to much strain on his back and maybe avoid long flights.

If he does that then IMO he can play more golf and make cuts.

Yes to this. When he first started messing with his swing with harmon it was just to tighten it up a bit and reduce the margin of error a little. Worked alright. Then out of blind ambition he wanted to reduce the margin of error even more. His swing started to lose all grace and just look violent and robotic. He was trying to take the human margin of error out of the swing and he sort of succeeded, apparently not realizing that it was his almost supernatural hand-eye coordination that was his greatest asset. He needs to go back to a looser more relaxed fluid swing and trust his reflexes and coordination to deal with the margin of error, not go violent robot on the ball. It wasn't a mechanically optimal swing that made you great, Tiger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back