PGA Tour in Shorts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes there have been threads on it, but speaking to someone today reminded me about it. I still have yet to hear a single reason that makes sense for them not to be. I hear tradition, but it's not tradition. The dress has changed dramatically over the years. The LPGA is playing in shorts, not just skirts or dresses, so does anybody have an actual reason that it's still a rule?

The PGA's sponsors/advertisers are upscale products (high end cars, watches, investment firms, etc...)

They don't want to be associated with men wearing shorts.

No reason for guys to not be able to wear shorts imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so does anybody have an actual reason that it's still a rule at some country clubs?

tweaked your question, because i think that same thought process would apply to the tour: basically because that's the look the club wants, and it's the look the tour wants. no other rational justification.

• Admin
The PGA's sponsors/advertisers are upscale products (high end cars, watches, investment firms, etc...)

They don't want to be associated with men wearing shorts.

Virtually the same sponsors cover tennis and golf.
I just don't buy that the tour rules are governed that way. Pretty sure Hyundai would be fine with players in shorts.

Yes, it's about time this dumb rule changes. With modern synthetic materials, wearing pants on hot days isn't nearly as bad as it was just 10 years ago, but even still, shorts would have to be so much cooler on a 100* day. Let them wear shorts.

If they allow shorts, then I'll have to come up with a new excuse as to why I'm not a Tour player. :laughing:

The look would take some time to get used to, but as a viewer, I have no problem with it.

I see no reason why not. I wouldn't be shocked if the European tour introduces it in the next couple of seasons.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I see no reason why not. I wouldn't be shocked if the European tour introduces it in the next couple of seasons.

That might set America back a few years.

#EuroCut

No reason they shouldn't be able to wear shorts. Most all of the caddies are wearing shorts and getting lots of TV time.

That might set America back a few years.

#EuroCut
Players are allowed to wear them in practice rounds already. Don't understand why the PGA hasn't followed on that one either.

I can't find a reason they can't wear them other than the PGA and European (outside of shorts in practice rounds) tour being stuck in their ways and being short sided on growing the game

It's stupid. Just let them wear shorts and play.

Virtually the same sponsors cover tennis and golf.
I just don't buy that the tour rules are governed that way. Pretty sure Hyundai would be fine with players in shorts.

Men's tennis players don't wear short pants. They wear tennis shorts--a garment specifically designed for tennis. If anything, tennis shorts are MORE elitist than long pants.

Men's tennis players don't wear short pants. They wear tennis shorts--a garment specifically designed for tennis. If anything, tennis shorts are MORE elitist than long pants.

Im no expert, but I do think that they make golf shorts, a garment specifically designed for golf. :D

Problem is. One day some out of shape golfer will show up in shorts not in his size.

Im no expert, but I do think that they make golf shorts, a garment specifically designed for golf. :D

Could you differentiate a pair of golf shorts from other shorts at a distance?

At this point, I think it's almost not even a big deal anymore. The pants are so light weight and breathable, it's like practically wearing nothing.

I'd still rather wear shorts though. ?

Problem is. One day some out of shape golfer will show up in shorts not in his size.
I don't think that's an issue. And I don't think any of these pros are in that terrible shape.

Most likely. Especially new models with materials used. Although I dont think its all that relevant.
Just like I could tennis. Having sports brands like PUMA, adidas Golf and Nike involved has blurred the lines greatly.
FWIW, if you ever get a chance to tour one of the factories where these brands are making the garments, you see they are made on the same line too.

Could you differentiate a pair of pants from golf pants at a distance?

It makes literally no sense that these guys aren't allowed to wear shorts. None. Nada. Time passes and things evolve, should basketball players still wear shorts that barely cover their crown jewels?

I'm fine with the tradition staying in place. It looks good and the fabrics of today keep them plenty cool.

I don't have a reason beyond the visual acceptance and appreciation for the tradition of it all.... And no I don't care that they used to golf in suits.

Could you differentiate a pair of pants from golf pants at a distance?

It makes literally no sense that these guys aren't allowed to wear shorts. None. Nada. Time passes and things evolve, should basketball players still wear shorts that barely cover their crown jewels?
I agree, if John Daly can trot out there in these, shorts shouldn't be an issue
1280x868.jpg

I don't understand what the push is for shorts. I haven't heard of a guy suffer heat stroke from wearing pants. I wear shorts all the time but if I wore pants in PHX during the summer I wouldn't get heat stroke. Quite frankly I wouldn't want to see all those pale chicken legs out there on TV.

Back