Lost interest in golf... What to do.

Watch the Masters this weekend.

So the weather is starting to get nice around here and golf season is underway. But it seems I don't really have much interest in playing. I've played two rounds and while CJ made the one round fun I really forced myself to go. I've bought new clubs hoping they will excite and still just not much interest. I see my game not as bad but definitely not improving, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyone else go through this and is there anything someone has used to get out of that funk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you ask. I'm currently in this kind of funk - I haven't touched a club in nearly a year after totally getting burned out golfing - I've been playing over 30 yrs, 9 HCP. Took up tennis and running and now when I look at golf on TV, I ask where's the health benefit - these guys don't look much like athletes. I've lost 15 lbs, more fit, and active. Not sure when I'll play again - funny thing is that I scheduled to move to another home that overlooks the first tee and 9th green and is a 9-iron away from the clubhouse and practice green (community has some crappy tennis courts, so I'm not too happy about that).

It's amazing. People will spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars buying a fix but drop $100 on a lesson from a great instructor and that doesn't compute. I don't get it.

There's so much varying or even conflicting information we get from golf instructors. Unless something is glaringly wrong 10 different pros will give you 10 different opinions on how to fix your swing. So many golf lessons are nothing but band-aids that may fix one thing, yet fail to address the actual cause. In addition there are a good many pros out there who are "selling" lessons as opposed to teaching.

That said, when you find "that" pro I suggest a player stick with him or her (unlike Tiger).

There's so much varying or even conflicting information we get from golf instructors. Unless something is glaringly wrong 10 different pros will give you 10 different opinions on how to fix your swing. So many golf lessons are nothing but band-aids that may fix one thing, yet fail to address the actual cause. In addition there are a good many pros out there who are "selling" lessons as opposed to teaching.

That said, when you find "that" pro I suggest a player stick with him or her (unlike Tiger).

I learned everything I needed to know from my current instructor from our first meeting. It set the stage for a great partnership that has served me well. I would suggest most players to speak to several before picking the one that bests meets the personal needs of the player.

I learned everything I needed to know from my current instructor from our first meeting. It set the stage for a great partnership that has served me well. I would suggest most players to speak to several before picking the one that bests meets the personal needs of the player.

Excuse me if I'm somewhat dense. Are you saying you learned everything about the golf swing in your first lesson?

Excuse me if I'm somewhat dense. Are you saying you learned everything about the golf swing in your first lesson?

No, in our first meeting we discussed my goals and his methods. I liked that he was focused on minor and incremental adjustments and didnt want to overhaul my swing. He is completely easy going and doesnt pressure me about additional lessons. I call him when I need help, he makes time and he checks in from time to time to see how I am doing.

I was where you are at the end of last season and debated playing at all this yr.

I mean I spent a ton of cash on lessons, time practicing and playing but was shooting about the same scores. No gains for all the time and money I spent on the game.

I was driving down the road thinking about giving it up and finding something else to do. When I thought of why I truly play the game time away, time with friends, a break from 2jobs 100hrs/week, maintaining a large yard- garden-chickens.

So I made this deal with myself that I'd continue on playing, on the course was fun time and range time was work time. So far I've done my grinding on the range working my tail off and when I play it fun, relaxing, peaceful the way the game is meant to be.

Sounds like a case of winter blues. Some range time, a lesson and a fun round of golf should help

Happened to me. I basically stopped playing and doing anything golf related. It was needed at the time, and I found my way back to the game. I did other things and had some great experiences.

My interest is starting to wane again, but I'm hoping it's just post MC blues or me just playing poorly right now but who knows.

I think finding a group of friends or getting into a THP could help, but you can't force it if you don't want to play.

One of most fun aspects of playing golf again for me has been playing with kids learning the game. I like that golf is changing.

Having put a lot time into several sport passions, I also think attitude is key. With skiing I used to say that an expert skier is one who is an expert at having fun while skiing. Pecking order driven, hyper competitive nut jobs aside :D, I think that's a great attitude for all sports.

I can understand if you feel like you're not improving. Definitely play with friends or in a league, challenge yourself and watch some golf instruction or take a lesson. Some of us are just happy to be outside.

It happens, usually for me, when the Masters rolls around, getting to see that course, the shots and history...that usually gets me out of my Winter funk and back on the course in full 100% fashion.

I tend to over indulge in hobbies when I'm interested in them - so when I golf, I really spend a long time out on the course and grind away practicing, playing - I do the same in tennis....I think the cure is to limit time out there and spend time doing other things (balance)......of course, the less time out there, the more rust develops it seems........got to figure out the point of diminishing returns. I never could understand how long term golf pros played the game so long and didn't get tired of the sport and leave it all together.

I can't even imagine losing interest in golf...

But I guess my advice would be to combine golf with a) good friends, b) competition/wagering, c) drinking, or d) something else that adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I can understand if you feel like you're not improving. Definitely play with friends or in a league, challenge yourself and watch some golf instruction or take a lesson. Some of us are just happy to be outside.

Exactly.. The bad shots don't even bother me that much anymore

I would suggest finding a few guys that you really enjoy being around, even outside of golf to try to play with. If that still doesn't snap your funk, maybe take some time away from the game.

In my opinion, its all about having a buddy that you can compete against and getting those competitive juices flowing. Nothing beats that! Win or lose, it is addicting.

I would suggest finding a few guys that you really enjoy being around, even outside of golf to try to play with. If that still doesn't snap your funk, maybe take some time away from the game.

i've gone nearly a year

It is amazing to read how many say THP Events. They truly are special and while some choose not to join in, others go to great lengths for a chance. With 17+ this year, lots of ways to stay excited and happy.

Lost interest in golf... What to do.

It is amazing to read how many say THP Events. They truly are special and while some choose not to join in, others go to great lengths for a chance. With 17+ this year, lots of ways to stay excited and happy.

I have never lost interest in golf. But joining THP almost two years ago increased my enjoyment of all things gold related.

Attending my first event last year took my love and desire to play to a level I couldn't have imagined.

I have two on the books it this year and hope to make it to one of the fall events.

I've been in and out of golf more than once and everytime I went out for the first time after those gaps I've alway said to myself "I need to do this more often". It just takes being out and smelling the fresh grass for me to become hooked again. If I manage to hit some good shots then its flood gates open. I'm in it for good now, just play for yourself and only yourself. Screw the scorecard and just play.

When this happened to me, and similarly because I wasn't improving, I shrunk my focus. It's easy to be stuck on scores in being the end-all determination for improvement. But sometimes, improvement with one facet of the game can get the positive endorphins going and spark determined interest.

For me, I made a very concerned effort to improve my chipping. I'd still casually hit balls here and there to keep the swing sharp but I dropped the mentality seeking improvement with the full swing, instead just letting it happen.

I'd chip 5 days/week weather permitting. Sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 1.5 hours. No pressure, no predetermined schedule as per time. While I practiced some technique, I more allowed my mind and body to find a way, developing better feel along the way.

It got the the point where I was so looking forward to chipping during play, that the rest of the game was nearly an afterthought. Happy side effect, the relaxed carefree nature was the spark for much better overall play.

When the big picture is daunting and by affect, underwhelming with regard to my interest level, I've always found great success in narrowing my focus. Works with most things, not just golf.

Best of luck.

I like all the responses, it must just be but I can't play a round and forget the scorecard. I'm guessing I just need to find more people to play golf with. 95% of my rounds are played by myself.

I like all the responses, it must just be but I can't play a round and forget the scorecard. I'm guessing I just need to find more people to play golf with. 95% of my rounds are played by myself.

One thing high school taught me. When I finally got a partner in the 10th grade, I realized doing it alone was just not as much fun. Oh wait. :angel:

Finding good golf buddies isn't easy, good luck
during the winter I like playing Pitch and putts competitions, fun, easy and fast to play
Then we got here golf and wine tournaments, to discover a wine maker at every hole...:D

Back