Cerakote on a putter

DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone have any experience with Cerakote. It is primarily used in the firearm industry. I love the blacked out look of a putter. Just considering some options. Curious how well it would hold up on the face area of a milled putter.

Never used Cerakote, but have used Caswell's SS Blackener. Works really well on SS putter heads and can adjust how dark the finish is by how long you leave it in the solution.

Do you just dip the head into the solution. If the putter had a face insert would you want to tape that off somehow. Id love to do that with an older putter as a test.

Do you just dip the head into the solution. If the putter had a face insert would you want to tape that off somehow. Id love to do that with an older putter as a test.
For Caswell's, Yes. I pour it in a plastic container that is large enough to place the entire head in. Tape off the shaft (a few inches up) with a few wraps of painters tape to make sure it doesn't get on it.
The biggest thing is to make sure you prep the head really well, meaning scrub it down with a good all purpose cleaner and gloves on. Then dry it with a clean microfiber towel and let it air dry. Then make sure you are wearing gloves when you handle it again. Any oils or imperfections will show up immediately after you dip it.
Also I use super fine steel wool once I dip it to "smooth out" the coating. You can keep dipping/fine wool scrub as much as you want or til you get the desired darkness.

Have any photos of any you have done.

Have any photos of any you have done.
My current gamer SC Laguna was done a year ago:
4c26ecEl.jpg

Here's a Karsten TR putter I did recently too:
QMNuRR3l.jpg

Last edited:
Love the look of the Laguna , turned out beautiful. Definitely going to give that a try.

The website says it's "polymer-ceramic composite coating." It is probably something in-between, but think of it as a version of the coatings in those ceramic nonstick cooking pans. I worked in this industry for about seven years, and these materials were in a different part of the field. It should be a reasonably tough, durable coating. One unique thing is that the face will have very low friction - sort of like those frying pans or Teflon. May not mean much on a milled putter.

I'd have two concerns - first, I'd want to take care that I didn't fill in the milling with the coating. Second, I'd remind myself that once on, it will be very difficult, probably impossible, to remove the coating without damaging the putter.

I copied this from the Facebook listing on the company's home page:

Golf season is in full swing, and did you know you can customize your clubs with Cerakote? See a variety of custom looks at https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/

I have not used Cerakote on a putter but I am fairly certain that it would hold up really well based on my experience with Cerakote in other applications. Even if you were putting at 1200 fps and needed to breakdown, clean, lube, & reassemble you putter daily I would still say you'd be in the worry free zone. As a precaution, a putter headcover would eliminate any bag chatter wear. I hope you do it and I hope you share pictures.

I have not used Cerakote on a putter but I am fairly certain that it would hold up really well based on my experience with Cerakote in other applications. Even if you were putting at 1200 fps and needed to breakdown, clean, lube, & reassemble you putter daily I would still say you'd be in the worry free zone. As a precaution, a putter headcover would eliminate any bag chatter wear. I hope you do it and I hope you share pictures.

Yeah, then a putter would probably not be a stressful application. Could you tell me if you did it yourself and what kind of odor you noticed during application and curing? I'm curious as to wherther it's the stuff I'm thinking of, that's all.

Yeah, then a putter would probably not be a stressful application. Could you tell me if you did it yourself and what kind of odor you noticed during application and curing? I'm curious as to wherther it's the stuff I'm thinking of, that's all.

I didn't do it myself just used gear with Cerakote and it has proven to be durable. My buddy does a ton of his own smithing and he still sends his gear out to get Cerakote, so I think the actual process is probably more involved than a DIY type of deal. If there was an effective way to do it at home he'd be doing it.

So far mine has held up well. I didn't have the insert done, so I won't be able to attest to the. Long term contact with the ball and the face. The company that did mine felt very confident that it would hold up.
b4b3d497aadc6568220f9af773a846d9.jpg
203f543dc446130f09679f1cea9cb5e7.jpg

So far mine has held up well. I didn't have the insert done, so I won't be able to attest to the. Long term contact with the ball and the face. The company that did mine felt very confident that it would hold up.
b4b3d497aadc6568220f9af773a846d9.jpg
203f543dc446130f09679f1cea9cb5e7.jpg

THAT looks sweet.

Back