Best new rangefinder technology? Nikon Coolshot 80i VR

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My buddies dad who is in his late 70's picked up a Nikon Coolshot 80i VR recently because he's not as steady as he used to be and was having difficulty picking up flags with his rangefinder(Bushnell Z6 Jolt) picking up flags, especially on windy days.

It uses Nikon's proven VR(vibration reduction) technology that they perfected for their SLR camera lenses and marine binoculars. I have a Nikon 70-200mm telephoto lens with the VR technology and it really works. I've also used their $1,300 marine VR binoculars and they are amazingly easy to hold steady, even in a 14 power.

I don't have trouble picking up flags immediately with a rangefinder until I get past 300 yards, but I thought I'd share this for those who might have less than steady hands or play in a lot of wind. They are not cheap at $399 and $449 for the slope version but may be well worth it for those who need the additional help of the vibration reduction technology.

Last edited:
Ummm, you buried the lead.

You shoot flags at 300 yrds PLUS! Now that's tour sauce.

Seriously though, I can hardly lock a target from 75yrds. I could use one of these, I will have to check it out.

Ummm, you buried the lead.

You shoot flags at 300 yrds PLUS! Now that's tour sauce.

Seriously though, I can hardly lock a target from 75yrds. I could use one of these, I will have to check it out.

Lol, only when I'm downhill and downwind! Actually, the flagsticks at my course have the prisms that make it very easy to get a reading at 300 yards.

Back