Sergio Garcia Buys Putter Grip at Dick's Sporting Goods

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you look closely at the tape from Sergio winning this past week, you will notice the grip is different than the one we featured in our PGA Show Coverage from the SuperStroke booth. Working to get all of the details, here is what we know.

Sergio Garcia was at a Dick's Store outside of Austin, TX and picked up the SuperStroke Slim 2.0 with CounterCore Technology. When asked about it after the win.

"It is true! It was in Austin at the beginning of January. I picked that grip because it felt good and I wanted a round one with a weight plug on it. One of the guys in the golf area helped me find the right one and then he let me put it on myself. The green color caught my eye so I went with that one!"

Thought this was a fun story about a tour pro doing the same thing THPers do.

I like hearing the stories about the tour pros going to the local store and picking up tweaking equipment, makes me feel more of a connection to them.

It being Dick's, he was smart to put it on himself. lol

These kind of stories always make me smile. Good stuff, way to dig in and find out what happened.

haha that's funny. Knowing DSG, I wonder if the guy even knew who he was.

How cool it would have been to walk into Dick's and see him shopping for grips!!!

• Admin
How cool it would have been to walk into Dick's and see him shopping for grips!!!

I would have laughed out loud. Neat story though. I guess we know why Sergio is using SuperStroke...He likes it.

Neat story, just goes to show that they put their pants on one leg at a time like us hackers.

Pretty cool. Like KJ Choi buying some irons off the rack several years ago.

That is awesome.

That is cool. I remember the story of Furyk buying his putter from Golfsmith or something.

That is cool. I remember the story of Furyk buying his putter from Golfsmith or something.

I don't even think it was a chain store, just some local joint.

These stories are great and always make me wonder how I would react if I was in line behind him... would I ask him why the heck he is paying for this when he could get it for free? Or would I bite my tongue and understand that he is probably a golf junkie just like me and can't wait.

Is it weird I want to try the Slim 2.0? I have been using the 1.0 for a while now.

Was at the Honda Classic two years back and I was looking around in the Pro Shop and Padraig Harrington walks in and goes behind the counter where I am buying some merchandise, grabs like 3 boxes of golf balls and walks out everyone was confused on what happened lol.

Reminds me of the story when KJ Choi did something similar with his irons one week and played well

Is it weird I want to try the Slim 2.0? I have been using the 1.0 for a while now.

I used to use the 1.0 exclusively, because I didn't want to go to the larger grips, but wanted to avoid the taper of a pistol grip. After using the stock Odyssey Super Stroke grips, which is larger than the 1.0, I found the transition seamless.

I used to use the 1.0 exclusively, because I didn't want to go to the larger grips, but wanted to avoid the taper of a pistol grip. After using the stock Odyssey Super Stroke grips, which is larger than the 1.0, I found the transition seamless.

That is really good to know. I have shied away from it for that very reason, but love the 1.0, so curious to see if I can make the same switch.

Great feel good story.

They are regular people too. Wonder who puts on a grip better Sergio or Greggdrews

haha that's pretty rad to find them shopping in the a store like that

It being Dick's, he was smart to put it on himself. lol

There are plenty of people that work at Dick's that are very meticulous about re-gripping people's clubs. I know that E1iterate and myself are down right uptight about it. I treat them like I'm re-gripping my own clubs. Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty cool story.

Cool story,Sergio is good people.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Back