Thinking of moving to "Better Player" Irons. Suggestions

SoGaDawg

Reaction score
Handicap
14ish
So I'm thinking it's about time to move away from Game Improvements irons into better player irons with a few caveats: 1) I don't want to break the bank because I don't want to drop a grand on new clubs and it turns out I want to go back GI Irons; 2) I'm thinking of used sets from around 2014 or 2015; and 3)I don't want "blades". I'm looking for a little help, tech wise.

So what do you guys recommend I look into? I'm thinking 2014 Apex Pros and Taylormade RSI 2s to start with. What else should I look at?

I've been looking at the Fly-Z+ and the Wilson Staff Tour V4 and F5 irons. I too don't feel like my next irons need to be game improvement irons, but I still think some help on imperfect strikes is appreciated.

cobra king forged tec look $$$$$

RSI2's are great, I enjoyed my time with them.

Bridgestone J15s. Great clubs that many on here have raved about and if you do some digging you can probably find a new set for pretty cheap. Wilson Staff F series are always dang good and as others have said the previous years Cobras are solid clubs and really good value.

M2 Tour irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bridgestone j15 driving forged

ping i25

ben hogan golf ptx

srixon 545 or 745 depending how small you want to go

apex cf16

Srixon z745 or 765 . As well as Callaway cf16 Bridgestone j15, Wilson f5 are all solid choices.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

So I'm thinking it's about time to move away from Game Improvements irons into better player irons with a few caveats: 1) I don't want to break the bank because I don't want to drop a grand on new clubs and it turns out I want to go back GI Irons; 2) I'm thinking of used sets from around 2014 or 2015; and 3)I don't want "blades". I'm looking for a little help, tech wise.

So what do you guys recommend I look into? I'm thinking 2014 Apex Pros and Taylormade RSI 2s to start with. What else should I look at?

Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 can be had new for $50/stick. That's where I would put my money.

Srixon's "45" series (5 or 7, depending on how much help you want) and Callaway Apex Pros.

vapor pro combos, you can find them for pennies under 300 slightly used on dallas golf

Last edited:
Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 can be had new for $50/stick. That's where I would put my money.

I agree. I played the FG Tour V2's for a couple years and they are very similar to their V4 replacement. My new Srixon 765/565 set is marginally better but more than twice the price. A set of used 545's would be another one to consider.

Nike vapor pro combos
2013 callaway x forged.

The Nike VR Pro Combos are money and have a great blend of looks, technology, and will get you to where you want to go without breaking the bank.

Great stick and cheap cheap

Bridgestone j15 cb, callaway cf 16, srixon 545/745

I'm a little partial, but I'd check out the Cleveland TA5's. Been playing them for 10+ years, and they've always been good to me. The good thing about them is that they will improve your game, but not hold you back the better you get. I'm a low handicapper and I've yet to find anything I like enough to justify giving them up.. They can also be found pretty damn cheap on eBay..

JPX 850F should be able to be had at a good price since 900s are out.

Mizuno MP53's. Can be had for a song, but are an exceptional club that offer just enough help

Taylormade 2014 CBs or MCs could be found at a decent used price now.

Mizuno MP-15

Maltby DBM or TE Forged - new, custom built for less than $500 a set

They're a bit older, but I played TaylorMade R7 TPs for the better part of a decade (and just put them in the basement last fall).

They're a really great feeling smaller club. If I hadn't gotten the itch for something new, I'd still be happily gaming them.

At this point they're old enough that it would make for a pretty cheap experiment too.

I would say play what ever looks good to your eye and gives you confidence at address.

Apex is a nice compromise but I wouldn't call them a player iron. Apex Pro if you want a smaller profile with more spin (at least for me more than most).
Bridgestone J15, dollar for dollar, may be one of the best iron sets ever made (for me).
Srixon's 965/765/565 have been highly sought after. I think they were a big step up from their 945/745/545 lineup, but the discount may persuade.

Back