In round "games" we play while we golf

TM_Bobby723

Reaction score
Handicap
+
So, I'm listening to the "Fore Play" golf podcast on PodcastOne while I work today. They have a segment where listeners send in games/game ideas to play during a round. Here are a few examples...

"Three Putt"
-If you 3 putt, you must pay all other players in the game for each 3 putt. The dollar amount for the 3 putt must be determined prior to the round starting.

"Pink Ball / Three Putt"
-The first player to 3 putt must play with a pink ball. Once/If another player 3 putts, they take over playing with the pink ball.
-If you lost the pink ball while you have it in play, you must pay all other players. The dollar amount for the lost ball must be determined prior to the round starting.

Here is a game my friends and I usually play called "Vegas." This game can get out of hand real quick if you're not careful...
-This is a 2 on 2 game. You & your partner take your scores and make the lowest possible number out of them (ex. 6 and 4 make a 46).
-You compare your score to the other 2 players and points are awarded for the difference (ex. 46 vs. 34 would result in 12 points for the team who scored 34).
-If one player on the lower scoring team birdies, you can double your point differential. (ex.12 becomes 24).
-If both players on the lower scoring team birdie, you can triple your point differential. (ex. 12 becomes 36).
-The trailing team can press to try and zero out the score, but it must be on the last hole of the 9, so on #9 or #18. If you lose the press, the total you're down will double.
-At the end, you pay out for the point differential the amount agreed upon prior to round. (ex. 50 points @ $0.50 per is $25.00)

Have played vegas before, we always did it where if somebody scores birdie it flips the numbers of the other group. For example me and my partner make 5 and a 6, our competitors make a 3 and a 5. So their score would be 35 and ours would be a 65 (instead of 56). But other than that fairly similar.

Have played the 3 putt game but it was called "snake" and the last person to have the snake after nine had to pay the rest of the group (say $5 each) and whoever had it after 18 had to do the same.

My favorite game is Wolf. It can be a team game, before the round you determine a tee order (usually I just go alphabetical) and if you are 1st to tee off on hole 1, you will be last to tee off on 2, 3rd on 3, 2nd on 4 and 1st again on 5. (do that rotation for holes 1-16, when you get to holes 17/18 it goes in reverse order of who ever many skins each player has.

If it is your tee box (1st off on the hole) you can call lone wolf before you hit and the hole is worth triple. If you wait until after you hit (or until after everyone else hits) and call lone wolf it is worth double. But after you hit, whoever is 2nd in the rotation will hit after you, if you haven't called lone wolf, you can pick them to be your partner until the 3rd player hits. Once the 3rd player hits, you can choose them as your partner until the 4th player hits and once the 4th player hits you can either choose them as your partner (if you haven't chosen someone already) or go lone wolf (for double).

You can play it straight up or with strokes given for handicap (which can change the strategy quite a bit) and we always play it where holes carry over, as well as KP on par 3s and any natural birdie is worth a stroke. The Carry over with the lone wolf can make the total pot ballon (if you have a 3 hole carry over and someone goes lone wolf it is worth 12... if that hole carries over the next hole is worth 13, unless someone goes lone wolf again...).

It is a super fun game, but at least 2-3 people have to know the rules in each foursome or it can be difficult to manage.

Last edited:
Vegas seems cool, we might have to play that this year.

We usually play wolf or Nassau

Vegas sounds like a fun one to play.

Vegas is definitely our "go to" game & can easily be played using HDCP's, too. My higher HDCP friends love to play it because it puts them under pressure.

Wolf is pretty fun, too.

Have played vegas before, we always did it where if somebody scores birdie it flips the numbers of the other group. For example me and my partner make 5 and a 6, our competitors make a 3 and a 5. So there score would be 35 and our would be a 65 (instead of 56). But other that fairly similar.

This is the way we have always played Vegas as well.

Wolf is always fun and after a few vodkas I go "blind wolf" way to often it becomes a 9 dollar hole then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We play PBFU, you have to throw in $30 for a double or worse after a birdie. The next birdie followed by no worse then bogey takes the pot unless someone else birdies the validation hole - then you have to throw in $30. If a bet isn't settled at rounds end the pot rolls to the next Sunday round.

In my regular foresome we also play skins and junk and run all bets from January until November. In early December we go out to a nice dinner with wife's and the losers pay first dollars. All in good fun amongst friends. My worst year I lost about $325, best year(s) I just had to show up for dinner.

Don't ever play for money so no games that include that. But we often play COD (cart, opposite, driver). Everyone gets to play everyone in the 4some in a 6 hole match.

Also for a bachelor party we did COD along with 2 longest drives and 2 closest to the pins. Winner won lap dances for shenanigans that followed!

I put together this one last year and it's pretty simple and straight forward. You can use all or a select number of the chips and designate points/dollar values to each. Try to collect the positive chips while staying away from the negative ones. This set is similar to the popular golf games Ka-Ching & Vegas Golf. I thought their sets were limited and pricey so I just made my own.

Q5SLi8Z.jpg

I have a hard enough time just adding up my score!

When we play side games it's usually skins.

We play greenies and skins mostly or if we have enough folks for teams, play $2 a side and $1 for overall winners and still greenies. Makes a 4 ft putt more interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I play in a rather large money game on Saturday's. We put in $5 for winning team, $3 for standing birdies, and $1 for each Par 3 KP. This game has usually 20-35 players.

The unique thing we do is each 4-5 person team plays with a 'snitch' (usually a cheap colored ball) in order for your team to win you must have the 'snitch'. The team records 2 scores one net/one gross (one must be the 'snitch' score). The 'snitch' rotates from player to player and must be played from tee to green. This one little addition to the game puts a lot of added pressure on you when playing the 'snitch'...you do not want to be the one that loses the 'snitch'. I've had a lot of fun playing in this group. We also have a Hole-in-one fund if you pay $10 into the fund you're eligible to win it.

We typically play 3 games at once. Umbriago is our main stay in round game. We play it as a 2 v 2 game. Each hole there is a total of 6 points: 1 point for birdie/eagle, 1 point for closet to pin, 2 point for low ball, 2 point for high ball. As an example if the 4th hole is a par 4 and team A has a birdie, a par and closet to the pin and team B has 2 pars. Team A would get 16 points - 1 point for the birdie, 1 point for closet to pin, 2 points for low ball X 4th hole. The high ball cancels out since both teams high score was par. If a team gets all 6 points on a hole (an umbi). Then it is 12 points x the hole on the back 9 as example an umbi on 18 is worth 216 points. An umbi on the front 9 is worth 100 points regardless of the whole. We typically play for a dime a point. The game can be scary and exhilarating at the same time. Big swings, wins, and loses are all possible.

We also play a 2 man team Nassau that is auto press when 2 down. Typically your team will be play against 4 to 5 matches. It usually takes us 30 to 40 minutes after the round to figure the games. We are playing these games while playing in 35 man $10 skins game.

We typically play 3 games at once. Umbriago is our main stay in round game. We play it as a 2 v 2 game. Each hole there is a total of 6 points: 1 point for birdie/eagle, 1 point for closet to pin, 2 point for low ball, 2 point for high ball. As an example if the 4th hole is a par 4 and team A has a birdie, a par and closet to the pin and team B has 2 pars. Team A would get 16 points - 1 point for the birdie, 1 point for closet to pin, 2 points for low ball X 4th hole. The high ball cancels out since both teams high score was par. If a team gets all 6 points on a hole (an umbi). Then it is 12 points x the hole on the back 9 as example an umbi on 18 is worth 216 points. An umbi on the front 9 is worth 100 points regardless of the whole. We typically play for a dime a point. The game can be scary and exhilarating at the same time. Big swings, wins, and loses are all possible.QUOTE]

Goodness! We'd have to play with a forecaddie doubling as an accountant...

If we have only three guys we will play 9s. Each hole worth 9 points winner gets 5, if any ties the score gets divided up amongst the ties. One winner per 9 holes.

If a foursome we play wolf and do round robin partners as well, usually am,athlete or two is going on the side. We play 2 man matches and again usually some side matches.

Funny to hear all the different ways Vegas is played. At my old course they ran it like this...

Team A gets a 4 and 5
Team B gets a 3 and 4

Team A gets 54 because of the bogey
Team B gets 34 because of the birdie

However because of the bogey Team A has to double so 108-34 = 74 points on 1 hole.

They also triple eagles. I was there one day when a team was down what was going to be a couple hundred bucks going into 17. Kid it's an ace, partner pars. Opponents go bogey - double bogey. 1 swing cleared his debt and made him some.

We typically play 3 games at once. Umbriago is our main stay in round game. We play it as a 2 v 2 game. Each hole there is a total of 6 points: 1 point for birdie/eagle, 1 point for closet to pin, 2 point for low ball, 2 point for high ball. As an example if the 4th hole is a par 4 and team A has a birdie, a par and closet to the pin and team B has 2 pars. Team A would get 16 points - 1 point for the birdie, 1 point for closet to pin, 2 points for low ball X 4th hole. The high ball cancels out since both teams high score was par. If a team gets all 6 points on a hole (an umbi). Then it is 12 points x the hole on the back 9 as example an umbi on 18 is worth 216 points. An umbi on the front 9 is worth 100 points regardless of the whole. We typically play for a dime a point. The game can be scary and exhilarating at the same time. Big swings, wins, and loses are all possible.QUOTE]

Goodness! We'd have to play with a forecaddie doubling as an accountant...
Your not far off. Typically every guy keeps a card and cheat sheet. At this point we have played it so often it is second nature for us. For new guys thou it can be somewhat confusing.

We play buck buck buck golf

Longest drive that stays in the fairway is $1

A GIR is $1

Whoever wins the hole gets $1

If the players tie on a hole, the skin gets pushed to the next hole. The FIR/GIR do not carry over.

Loser is usually only paying out a couple bucks but it adds a little bit of competition and some play better under that extra bit of pressure.

Back