Etiquette of finding nice balls in your range bucket

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
What are the rules when you find a nice ball in your bucket of range balls?

E.g. Today I got 100 balls (they use srixon range balls) and sat on top was an absolutely mint condition Chrome soft.

Do you hit this ball and just let it be this random prize for people in their buckets, or do you take it and use it so a nice ball isn't just kind of wasted on a range?

hit it. leave it for the next guy to make a decision. that's karma.

There are a couple schools of thought on this. Golf courses buy "range balls" so that one you are talking about was either hit by someone at the range because they wanted one more swing so they used their own ball or it was hit into the range from somewhere on the course. So go ahead and take it if you want it. The other thought is that you paid for a bucket of balls to hit on the range. So don't take it. I have done both. Mostly when I was younger. Nowadays I would hit it to see how it felt.

I occasionally hit some of my actual balls on the range, especially when we have a launch monitor out. So when I find some I take them back. I'm sure plenty of people have found and taken some of my Easter eggs.

I would leave it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would leave them.

I would hit it back up range. Return the good fortune to another fortunate soul.

I've always just sent them down range as I wanted to see if there was much difference vs regular range balls. There usually was.

I never actually find balls worth keeping in range buckets. Why not just take it and play a hole or two with it and if you like the ball you can go ahead and buy some and then plop that ball back into the range.

I always load up the driver on the range when I find one.

I have been guilty of throwing a crisp Pro v1 in the bag.

I am renting balls at the range, so I keep none. When I come across a really nice ball, I'll hit it with the driver or wedges, whichever I am feeling on that particular day. The only balls wasted at the range are the ones that have no target.

I don't ever find nice balls but do find a bunch of top flites and the such. The driving range is on the right side of hole 18 so any high slices end up in the range. I used to grab them and take them home for the back yard, now I just leave them. My kid on the other hand acts like it's an Easter egg hunt and finds and keeps every non range ball, then uses them in the back yard.

I can't say for sure but the pro shop sells assorted balls for $1.25 a piece and I think they get them from balls accidently hit into the range.

I don't ever find nice balls but do find a bunch of top flites and the such. The driving range is on the right side of hole 18 so any high slices end up in the range. I used to grab them and take them home for the back yard, now I just leave them. My kid on the other hand acts like it's an Easter egg hunt and finds and keeps every non range ball, then uses them in the back yard.

I can't say for sure but the pro shop sells assorted balls for $1.25 a piece and I think they get them from balls accidently hit into the range.

Finding balls on the course is a lot different than pocketing balls out of a range bucket, though.

I'm a ball snob and will only play balls that I bought new (or were gifted to me new). Even when I find what I play on the course, I tend to leave it sitting there as I don't want the juju of someone else's lost ball. On the range that 'nice ball' may have been an errant shot, or another's frustration, and in either case, I'm whacking it down the range.

I save that for of my driver swings on the range

I'm a ball snob and will only play balls that I bought new (or were gifted to me new). Even when I find what I play on the course, I tend to leave it sitting there as I don't want the juju of someone else's lost ball. On the range that 'nice ball' may have been an errant shot, or another's frustration, and in either case, I'm whacking it down the range.

I share the same thoughts, I have donated many more balls to the range (and also courses) then I have ever received.

I always leave them. I know I've hit a few of my own balls at the range if I felt like I ended on a "meh" swing, just to get one more good one in and end on a high note. I'm sure others have as well, I look at it as a few opportunities to hit a better ball than the range rocks that are the norm.

I leave them and just hit it down the range.

I'd probably leave it, although our cart guys seem pretty diligent about pulling the good balls out of the group as they wash them to keep for themselves. I get it.

Snag-it and bag-it.

I have taken them in the past and will pull a used up or lower end ball out of my bag and hit that. A 1 for 1 trade. Seems fair to me. Surprised no one has said this yet.

I have never looked at a bucket of balls and thought of taking a ball. I've seen high end balls mixed in and it never crossed my mind to snag one. I've played in pro-and where the balls are all premium balls. I guess I'm just there to warm up or practice. I don't see anything wrong with it because someone used the non range ball during warm up or a stray ball ended up on the range. It's just not something that has ever crossed my mind.

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

It was a bonus ball for the range and now a bonus ball for me :)

I actually found a Snell golf ball in my bucket. Having never seen or played one, that was coming home with me to try during a practice round.

Back