After first lesson, having issues making full turn

DylanMT

Reaction score
Hey all (if this is in the wrong area my apologies. Move it accordingly)

So last week I had my first lesson in 15 years. Without going into real detail, my instructor worked with me on a few drills to help with my takeaway and and also releasing the club. We worked a lot on the 9 to 3 and I could tell I was hitting the ball much better with much more consistent results. Better yet, I learned why the ball does what the ball does when I hit it wrong and how I can correct it. But I digress

We worked a lot on the 9 to 3 drill and then towards the end he said to complete the full swing, stay at the 9 o clock position and then just turn my shoulders. He wanted me to keep my left arm straight and just turn the shoulders.

The issue is that this is extremely uncomfortable for me. It could be (and is) an issue of flexibility but when I get into this position nothing feels right. I feel a lot of stress on my body (not pain, just flexibility stress) and sometimes the form breaks down and I hit a poor shot. I've been doing the drills every night either at the range or just at home in the yard and I can truly feel the difference when I make good contact with the ball. It's just getting into the full siwng is an issue. Any ideas on how to smooth over this transition from 3/4ths swing to full swing, or will it just take time, reps, and more flexibility?

Sorry for the long message!

Time and practice. It's not unheard of to get a little worse when you first start lessons as you groove your swing changes.

Keep working on what your instructor gave you. Struggles after lessons are common. There's new things going on in the swing that aren't comfortable yet, then the anticipation of being better as a result of the lesson can mess with your mind.

It it will come around.

...all of the above and invest in a copy of The Unstoppable Golfer by Bob Rotella either paper or audio. Best thing I listen to while taking lessons. Really helps you keep in mind that improvement is a process and you need to work through the process to improve. When I got frustrated it was a good kick in the brain to realize its normal and to get focused back on making the changes I needed to to move on.

Time and practice, as many have mentioned.

There a couple golf stretching instructions on the internet as well. It's amazing what taking 10 min a day to do some simple stretching can do for your flexibility. While on the range, the towel under the arm drill helps a lot. I was in a similar position, was using my arms, instead of my body to make the turn. Trying to keep the towel under your arms while making a swing will help you stay connected and force you to use your shoulders and torso.

ditto on time and practice, as well as trusting your instructor and the process. rome wasn't built in a day. if your instructor is changing your swing, think of how long you've been swinging in a way that s/he deems incorrect, and now you need a good bit of time to undo those bad habits. i'd also wonder whether there is any tension creeping in. that's the #1 cause of a short backswing for me. i have a tendency to tense up my shoulders and my head/neck turtleheads down, and i get really short.

keep at it, and good things will come!

For me it was the second lesson where I couldn't hit anything, but I was trying to do a move that was foreign to me and my brain, which seems similar to your problem. Stick with it, and it'll come!

Thanks all for the advice. I'm constantly practicing in the house while my girlfriend watches tv. If I can't get to teh range I at least go outside and make some full swings. And I'm constantly working on my flexibility while watching tv or whatever.

Just wanted to make sure that this unnatural feeling is natural. Thanks!

Thanks all for the advice. I'm constantly practicing in the house while my girlfriend watches tv. If I can't get to teh range I at least go outside and make some full swings. And I'm constantly working on my flexibility while watching tv or whatever.

Just wanted to make sure that this unnatural feeling is natural. Thanks!

MY instructor twisted my left shoulder back while at the same time twisted my hips into the correct finishing position that he wanted me to finish in at the end of the shot. Maybe you can get your girlfriend to twist you into the correct position every once in a while just to check if your getting there.

MY instructor twisted my left shoulder back while at the same time twisted my hips into the correct finishing position that he wanted me to finish in at the end of the shot. Maybe you can get your girlfriend to twist you into the correct position every once in a while just to check if your getting there.

I'd love for that to happen but golf is the other woman accoridng ot my girlfriend. She would probably purposely twist me into the wrong position in hopes I'll get worse and quit the game haha.

But it's getting better. Hit the ball the best I ever have today at the range. Just need to really drill this muscle movement.

Back